Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

48 CJ2a | Keiths Project |

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC-10ENG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2014 at 2:45pm
Good Luck with the sale of your home. And congrats on the new place.
1948 CJ2A
Retired USAF
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2014 at 3:43pm
Keith - I hope all goes well and you get the property.  I remember you telling me at the reunion that buying out of city property was on your wish list.  Good luck in selling your house.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 1:24pm
Hey Keith

Congrats on the new purchase...these old trucks belong off road...being out in the country it will feel right at home... Hope it all works out for you.

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 4:26pm
Thanks guys. We have had some activity on our home we are selling - hopefully things continue to look good.  Thumbs Up
Keith
My Project
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 1:33am
Update:

My engine block is almost finished. He had to take it to 060 over for the pistons. 030 under for the crank bearings and 30 under for the rod bearings. He also took a broken stud out of the intake manifold and a broken stud out of the exhaust flange.

I ordered pistons, valve guides, and valves yesterday so he can hone the cylinders to the pistons and do the valve job.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Edited by w114kav - 24 July 2014 at 1:35am
Keith
My Project
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 1:44pm
Update:  SN 201819

Firstly, we sold our home. We are pumped Thumbs Up We will be closing the first week of September on our 31 acre property back home. We are stoked, stoked, and stoked.

Jeep Update:

I should be getting my engine block back from the shop in the next week or so. I dropped my pistons, valve guides, and valves off so he could finish the work he is able to do.

In addition, I also got my rebuilt starter and alternator back from http://www.swigartelecmotors.com/ . These guys are great. Total rebuilt price was just over $300 for both. They replaced everything. I mean everything. Sometimes pictures do not do justice for what is in person and the pictures are just the case. They even painted all the appropriate pieces on the inside of each. Wow

If you are interested in having your equipment rebuilt surely get a hold of them. I am quite sure if you shipped them your equipment they would accommodate you. They are absolutely great, great, great. Thumbs Up I should also mention that they have been in business since 1954

Thanks guys.

Edited by w114kav - 02 Aug. 2014 at 6:40pm
Keith
My Project
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2015 at 7:14pm
Hey guys! Just checking in!

I am about to start putting my motor back together. I am pretty excited!

Keith
My Project
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 3:38pm
Good news.  

I was just thinking today that projects around the house are nearing an end.  Time for some Willys work.  Today I am going to start clearing a work area in the garage, to start on engine of my '3A project.

Keep us posted on your progress!
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2015 at 6:45pm
Hey everybody!

I wanted to give an update (although I do not have pictures at the moment)...I have started the re-assembly of my engine as of last week! I have the cam, new lifters, new main bearings, and the reground crank put in. Things are coming all well! It is quite fun seeing things take shape after such a long down time. I hope to get some pictures put up tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for stopping in!

Keith
My Project
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2015 at 11:27pm
Nows the time to check that rear main seal, make sure it's not too tight! BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2015 at 5:17pm
Thanks Bruce. It was not too tight at all. I put the crank gear, cam gear, valves/springs all together last night. The whole assembly spins quite well (you just need a firm-ish hand to get it all to spin)!
Keith
My Project
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2015 at 8:38pm
   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2015 at 12:41am
Okay, finally took some time to take some pictures of the engine assembly.

To date I have the cam, new lifters, new values, new cam gear, re ground crank, crank gear, new pistons/rings, old connecting rods, new main/rod bearings, new valve springs/clips. Lots of new! I was hoping it was easier to spin when it was all assembled - but it is quite tough to get it all to move by hand. oh well....

Here are the pictures:

and

and the bottom

and another....

and a view of our place from the back porch!

Progress is good. I have a hand full of odd ball things to order. But I should be up and running here in a few weeks.

BOOM. Thanks

Edited by w114kav - 16 June 2015 at 5:46pm
Keith
My Project
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2015 at 12:56am
What I love is that you move, and take your Jeep with you! Hats off! Cool stuff, john
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2015 at 2:36am
Progress Thumbs Up

1.) Oil pump installed. New spring (the old one was broken). I bought the spring from KW. It said it was only for MB's GPW's and early 2a's but I read somewhere where Russ said it was ok to use on any of the stock pumps. So yep.
2.) Distributor is in - rough timed.
3.) Front cover is on
4.) Oil pan is on. A big thanks to Low for getting a new oil pick up tube and float!
5.) Lifter/value gaps set.

and the pictures...

Gaps set

I have not painted the block yet....  I did a heck of a number using RTV everywhere. Not too much though...

ooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhh

I am moving on to installing the head, intake/exhaust manifolds, carb, fuel pump, valve cover etc next.
Thanks for checking in.

Edited by w114kav - 24 June 2015 at 12:12pm
Keith
My Project
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 2:20am
Update:

Man this is a good looking head gasket!

And does it look good on the block, too! So I torqued all the head bolts down and used high temp RTV gasket maker

and I cleaned/painted the intake/exhaust manifold. They look great!

So, before I cleaned the exhaust manifold.... this fella was in it! Sweet Lord he was he big Ouch

Thanks for checking in.
Keith
My Project
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 2:50am
Wow your motor looks great👍🏼
Thanks for the update.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 2:57am
Yikes! Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>