Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buck's turbo diesel swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:51pm
It's an intoxicating sound, I love it :D

Hows yours?  Been driving it much?
2a #40500
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:13pm
I took mine out a few weeks ago for a nice long drive. It's really fun to drive when you can keep up with traffic. It's been really rainy here for the last couple of weeks...I was hoping to get it out for a drive last weekend but it rained again....just don't like driving her in the rain.

Hope to get a video of it running and driving in the next couple of weeks as Greg has been after me for a while now.

I love the Kubota swap. Best thing I ever did to the Jeep.
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 3:37am
I got the overdrive shifter and bracket made up, it works nicely.  I somehow accidentally shattered the original shift knob, so I made a new one out of a trailer hitch ball.  If anyone is looking for a nice weighty shift knob, use a trailer hitch ball, NICE weight, if feels real good.  I may do the same for my transmission shift knob, if I can find another hitch ball.  I only had one laying around.  I'll run the overdrive shifter for a week or so, and once I'm satisfied with it, I'll clean it up, paint it, and then it'll be done.

And, the TD Willys has officially resumed daily driver status.  I've been driving it in the evenings every day to put some miles on it, and it's been doing well.  So as of today, it's my daily driver again.   I didn't plan it to be memorial day weekend, but it ended up that way :)  I've never gotten so many thumbs up while driving around before.

2a #40500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:21pm
I've got about 200 miles on the new transmission and steering, everything is going great!

I need to make new upper front shock mounts, due to the steering and radiator positions and I either need to lower the top shock mounts, or get longer shocks.  I didn't realize it, but I only have 1" of shock down travel in the front.  Not sure what I was thinking when I measured and ordered the shocks, but the fronts aren't long enough I think.  At ride height, the shock is almost fully extended.  :confused:   haha

I got the exhaust finished, and I've just been driving around, running errands, visiting friends, and what not all weekend, mooching off BBQ where ever I can :D  

Yesterday I visited a friend about 25 miles away, and on the return trip (midnight) I took the freeway home.  Held it at 2200RPM for about 30 minutes straight, that should be 55mph, 4st gear with overdrive engaged.  That's a nice cruising speed for mysetup, and it'll still go up hills at that speed.   As long as I can cruise 55mph, I'm happy.  And the steering is rock solid even on the sometimes bumpy LA freeways at 55mph.
2a #40500
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:19pm
Great job! Well thought out
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2015 at 3:32am
I was driving on the freeway yesterday, (55mph, 2200 RPM in 4th and overdrive engaged) trying to put more miles on the jeep, and noticed that the overdrive was starting to smoke, wasn't sure if I was seeing things or not, so I went on for another mile or so, and then yep, it was definitely smoking, coming out of one of the bolt holes where I have my shifter bracket mounted.   SO..... I'm not sure if the overdrive is going to be toast if I keep driving it like this, or maybe that bolt hole just wasn't sealed well enough?  

Nothing has been leaking (!!!)  I filled up the transmission and transfer case with oil (they don't share oil anymore)  but I've not checked the level since the initial filling.  I guess I should check it?  I DO have the oil guide/rail on the overdrive installed correctly.

Thoughts?

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 01 June 2015 at 3:34am
2a #40500
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2015 at 11:17am
My money says that the oil trough is not collecting the oil for some reason
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2015 at 2:27pm
Might try touching the OD unit with a gloved hand carefully to check the temperature after a short drive.  If its hot enough to already have smokesd oil, it has surely damaged bearings.

Hopefully it was an optical illusion as to where it was coming from, and it was really something burning off the exhaust pipe just adjacent?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2015 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

My money says that the oil trough is not collecting the oil for some reason

I know that I did install the oil trough, but maybe it's not working properly?  

I remember reading that gravity delivers the oil to the OD through the trough.  I've pushed up the transmission quite a bit, maybe it's sitting a little to level for the oil to properly flow to the OD?  The engine is still rocked back slightly, but maybe not as much as it used to be.

Originally posted by pjensen641 pjensen641 wrote:

Might try touching the OD unit with a gloved hand carefully to check the temperature after a short drive.  If its hot enough to already have smokesd oil, it has surely damaged bearings.

Hopefully it was an optical illusion as to where it was coming from, and it was really something burning off the exhaust pipe just adjacent?

The OD housing definitely gets hotter than the TC housing.  At first I chalked that up to the OD housing being Aluminum, and maybe getting hot quicker.  Until I saw the smoke.  haha

I'm pretty sure the smoke was coming from the overdrive, and not the exhaust.  It looked like it was coming right out of one of the bolt holes that I have my OD shifter mounted too.  I don't have a transmission cover on the floor yet, so I can clearly see the entire transmission and driveline.  (it's an odd feeling watching the driveshaft spin while driving!!)

Is it possible for the oil trough to come un-seated and fall down into the transfer case?  I've had 3000 miles or so on the same overdrive and transfer case, at the same speeds and RPMs, and I've not had problems.  But now with the T98, I have pushed everything up wards, and it's more level than it used to be, but other than that, nothing has changed with the overdrive and the TC other than I now  have the OD shifter on the back of the housing, instead of using the original linkage.

Maybe one of those square shaped snap rings in the OD came loose?  I did have to remove the OD to swap the transmission, maybe one of them isn't seated properly?  I guess I know what I have to do, I need to pop off the OD and see what's what.

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 01 June 2015 at 7:29pm
2a #40500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2015 at 8:26pm
I almost forgot.  Did you measure the 0.677" stick out length.  That could have changed based on the the new transmission.  If it is too far out, it could be binding a little somewhere?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2015 at 8:28pm

I almost forgot.  Did you measure the 0.677" stick out length.  That could have changed based on the the new transmission.  If it is too far out, it could be binding a little somewhere?

When I initially installed the overdrive 2 years ago or when ever, I did not measure.  But when I re-installed it with the new transmission I did measure.  And it was good.
2a #40500
WJR4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJR4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2015 at 11:52pm
Daniel-

Your Jeep looks great, I've been following along.   I am building a CJ-5 and plan to use the OD Kubota kit and a T-98 also.   

I assume you are running 4.88 gears in your Jeep (correct me if I'm wrong).....it seems to drive and accelerate well in your videos.   With the T-98 and its 4 gears, do you think that running 3.73's would work well?   I'd rather spend my $ on the T-98 instead of dealing with the overdrive unit and its issues.   It seems to me that the ratio spread would allow for decent acceleration using the 1st gear, and the 3.73's and a 32" tall tire would cruise well in 4th.  2500rpm would give 64 mph (which is plenty too fast enough for me).

Can you give your thoughts?   

Thanks!
-Bill
Bill
-------------

'46 CJ-2A #64720
'59 FC-170 DRW
'60 FC-150
'65 CJ-5 DRW
'65 CJ-5A Tuxedo Park
'66 CJ-5A Tuxedo Park V6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 1:17am
Hi Bill,

I still have the factory axles with 5.38 gears.

I'd look at a calculator like this one:  http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/speed.html

they don't have the T-98 on there, but the final drive (1:1) is the same.  

For me, I'm not planning on using 1st gear every time I take off from a stop.  I'm going to gear my axles so that 2nd gear is my starting gear, and 4th gear puts me at 55mph (2200rpm) with no overdrive.

I took the overdrive out yesterday, and the inside gear and the planetary gears were VERY worn down.  So, I'm ditching the overdrive and I'm going to get a set of axles with a different gear ratio (and stronger to boot).  For me, that will be 4.10 gears, which should work well with 33" or 35" tires.  I've known that I've wanted larger tires than 31", but I'm still debating 33 or 35.  

I'll reply again later, after I look at what specs you put down, and that calculator, and knowing how the T98 drives, and how the Kubota is with my gearing and tire size setup.  Let me mull it over a bit, and I'll give some thoughts for your setup :)  But from my experience here, if you have torque (turbo diesel) and taller tires, I think my immediate suggestion would be to skip the overdrive.  I say that as I stare at my busted overdrive.   LOL

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 06 June 2015 at 1:20am
2a #40500
WJR4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJR4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 3:18am
Copy that...   I'm thinking that no OD sounds best for my use.     

Add'l info:   My CJ-5 will obviously be a bit heavier than your 2A, but my gearing needs to be more for efficiency and road use.  Tire size is 32" dia., I think my gears will be 3.73's to achieve what I want.    I'm not going to be off-roading this one, it's actually a DRW (ex go-for-digger trencher) and needs to travel smoothly at about 60mph.    Yours with 4.11 or 4.27's and 33-35" tires sounds awesome.

I look forward to your add'l thoughts!  Thank you

Bill
Bill
-------------

'46 CJ-2A #64720
'59 FC-170 DRW
'60 FC-150
'65 CJ-5 DRW
'65 CJ-5A Tuxedo Park
'66 CJ-5A Tuxedo Park V6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 5:50pm
I broke a rear axle shaft on the street yesterday.  I've already been looking for a D44 to replace the axles with, but now that it's broke I'm looking harder.   LOL

I've got the front axle already, just looking for the rear now.  The wheels just barely clear the brakes and knuckles (no spacers), nice!

2a #40500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 10:39pm
???  How did you manage to break an axle shaft?  I forget if you have a locker in the rear.  A little throttle happy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 10:43pm

???  How did you manage to break an axle shaft?  I forget if you have a locker in the rear.  A little throttle happy?

Well, I'm not sure.  I knew the D41 wasn't all that strong, but I only have 31" tires.  I guess the turbo diesel makes alot of torque, combined with the lower gears in the T98.  I was goosing the throttle a little bit from a stop making  left turn (crossing traffic, so I gunned it a bit).  But not flooring it.  I imagine it was maybe already weakened on a previous occasion maybe?  I don't know.  
2a #40500
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 2:10pm
your shortening a d44 for the front? I have a 44 rear and 30 front but have a 44 that needs shortening, not sure to tackle that project yet. did you do the work
- Mike
47 CJ2A - Warn OD, Ramsey PT1-J/Koenig 100,Arctic top,Dana 44 30 spline full float with disc's,Dana 30 with discs, 2.5 lift, Saginaw power steering, dual master cylinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 30>