Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JICaseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JICaseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Problem
    Posted: 05 June 2013 at 8:53pm
Yes it will go into third when not running, and I have tried double clutching but that didn't work. Thanks
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 5:39am
I had that problem. Mine turned out to be a defective sincro ring that tore up the sincro dogs. Here's a link to the thread that discusses it.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/3d-gear-grinding_topic25425.html?KW=gear+grinding
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 4:55am
Shortly after I bought my Jeep is started jumping out of second gear and not wanting to go into third above 15 mph. Sometimes it would not go in third at all. It took a complete rebuild to fix the problem. The major issue was the synchronizers, aka, blocking rings.
Life is only as good as you make it.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 3:21am

Syncronizer is out?  Will it shift into third when the jeep isnt running?  Have you tried double clutching to get it into third?

JICaseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JICaseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 12:04am
I have a 1946 CJ2A that will not go into 3rd gear. I can shift it into 1st and 2nd and downshift with no problems, but when I try to shift into 3rd it just grinds the gears. Anyone know what the problem is? Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply