Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

problem with clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote José Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: problem with clutch
    Posted: 05 June 2013 at 1:35pm
Good afternoon,
 today I met  owner of a cj2a near me, he belong to the Queluz Fire Department. The mechanic of the fireman says that the car has a problem with clutch and asked me if there's a way to dismount the clutch without taking the tub out. Thanks

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 3:58pm
Jose,

There are a few ways to get at the clutch.  My humble opinion is that pulling the engine out is easier than removing the tub.  You will need to slightly drop the transmission/transfer case support member to get at the bolts on the top of the bell housing.  Make note of the position of each bolt on the bell housing, and put them back exactly where you found them.

Tim
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 6:06pm
I've always dropped the tranny and trasfer case as a unit out the bottom still attached to the cross-member.  Put the front up on jack stands, use a floor jack under the tranny/trasfer case  unbolt, disconect drive shafts, disconnect parking brake cable etc., lower tranny part way down, remove pin for levers and remove shift levers.  Lower to the floor, slide jack out form under tranny/trasfer  (if you need clearance) and pull them out the side of the jeep.  Its pretty easy. last one I did took about an hour.
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 7:32pm
Windy,

I like it.  So, you can get to the pin on the TC shifter by dropping the crossmember enough? 

I've considered cutting that familiar hole we see in the transmission hump, but I haven't been able to bring myself to start hacking away at my tub.

The 3A I'm working on now will have a very nice factory looking access hole with cover. 

Tim
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 8:50pm
Yep I usually can drop it enough to slide it out of there. It can be a bit of a pain sometimes but I think it's the quickest way.
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
José View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote José Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 12:52pm
thanks for the info.
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2013 at 3:00pm
Be sure you have a support or jack under the engine's oil pan. When the tranny comes out, the engine is only supported by the front engine mounts. ...R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
 Post Reply Post Reply