Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Using bolts instead of rivets for spring brackets.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using bolts instead of rivets for spring brackets.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using bolts instead of rivets for spring brackets.
    Posted: 07 July 2013 at 6:45pm
When I was confronted with the "rivet vs bolt" question. I ended up using button head bolts (the ones with the round heads and an Allen socket). After I got them tight I welded the nut to the bolt on the backside (least visible) and then filled in the socket head with weld and ground it smooth. You can see examples in my photo album in the "front bumper" gallery.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 3:34pm
I recently replaced and remounted all 4 shackles to my frame with the larger bolts and then welded.  I used grade 8 bolts and flat washers

A little caution on mounting the springs and using them  as an alignment jig - even my new springs eyes were not parallel.  They are crudely twisted and bent spring steel at best.    I like the pipe or rod alignment method mentioned above the best.....    I wish I had thought of that!

Happy welding!
Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 5:12am
I "domed" the head of some my bolts, so the ones that I could not hot rivet still look like rivets but are full size bolts.

One good way to dome them is to clamp a grinder down to the bench  and then put the bolt you want to dome in a drill chuck and then grind away with the drill and grinder all going, use a pistol grip drill and move it through an arc as the grinder slowly removes metal, the end result is real good.

Even bolts I have domed in the lathe get finished this way....

Adrian

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 4:54am
Or tap the hole and use a stud.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 4:49am
Gotcha
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 4:28am

Ive already drilled the hole in the tab, ill look through my bucket of frame pieces and find the other side of the rivets I punched out.  Ill weld it from the bottom and then it will look like the rivet is there.  Then ill weld the tab down secure.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 4:21am
Well if you are not worried about the jeep police, I would just weld the front tab of the battery tray to the frame and call it done, otherwise, you will have to cut a hole in the inner boxing plate so that you can get a nut inside the frame. Afterwards you can put a patch in the boxing plate and weld it back shut again ..... or not.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 4:03am

Yea the bolts wont bother me. I doubt anyone around my area would ever know the difference.  Maybe the jeep police wont get too upset!

I ran into another snag with my battery tray, im also using bolts and nuts to replace the rivets on that one as well.  The front rivet hole close to the crossmember is a blind hole.  Any tricks to getting a nut back there?
I got the Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 12:45am
I like the look of fresh bolts,rivets are boring Tongue
47 CJ2A, 51 Willys PU,his and hers 99 XJ 5 speed 4x4
Willys Jeep,what the victorious US troops drove into Tokyo
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 12:20am
I think a 1/2" ID water pipe has a .840 outside dia
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 11:56pm
The faux rivets you can buy and that a lot of guys use have a 5/16" thread and are way weaker than a 3/8 bolt so I would not be afraid to use 3/8" bolts if you want. The shackle brackets are welded to the frame anyway. To align them, you can run a rod, through both brackets to square them up. I think the ID is about .860 or so.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 11:23pm
Im replacing all of the spring hanger brackets on my frame. Ive got them all out and have the new ones ready to go back on.  The holes in the brackets and the frame are larger than 3/8" but just slightly smaller than 7/16".  Would I be better off using 7/16" bolts and drilling the holes out or just stick with 3/8"  If I use 3/8"  what do I need to do to make sure the brackets are lined up with the frame?  Im also assuming that I need to at least hook up my leaf springs before I weld the sides of the hangers to make sure im lined up?  I know these are probably dumb questions but I want to make sure I do this right so that everything lines up and drives down the road straight!
 Post Reply Post Reply