Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Happy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 2:54am
Hey Speedy

I would say yes to the V6...it should give you some more speed than the 4 cylinders do...swap out the rear end gearing could help too...just a thought that's all...shoot then you gotta put bigger brakes in it too...

Project looks great so far...keep up the good work...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 4:15am
I suppose an update is in order.
tried fixing images in the first page but no luck.

the v6 idea has been put off for awhile, I would like to put that into a willys truck when I buy one. I am now contemplating the kubota diesel swap.... but the plan still rolls with the kaiser supersonic engine which is painted gray now.

picked up a jeep body off a member

a nice winch and pto to restore, also a warn overdrive

picked up a nice rebuilt dana 44

rebuilt the dana 18 (video to follow shortly)

and a nice wiring harness

still a long way to go, but once I rebuild the dana 30 front I can start putting things back onto the frame :)  I also acquired a nice arctic top.

Edited by Speedy - 01 Mar. 2015 at 4:19am
- Mike
47 CJ2A - Warn OD, Ramsey PT1-J/Koenig 100,Arctic top,Dana 44 30 spline full float with disc's,Dana 30 with discs, 2.5 lift, Saginaw power steering, dual master cylinder
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 9:08pm
Nice!!!
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 12:00am
heres a video I put together for rebuilding the Dana18

- Mike
47 CJ2A - Warn OD, Ramsey PT1-J/Koenig 100,Arctic top,Dana 44 30 spline full float with disc's,Dana 30 with discs, 2.5 lift, Saginaw power steering, dual master cylinder
Zuma58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2015 at 9:54pm
All I get on the D18 video is an error
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 3:25am
I think its time to get the axle's situated.
Dana 30 is waiting to be sent out for complete rebuild, and the Dana 44 should get some paint this weekend...

and if all goes to plan my Superlift 2.5'' kit should be here within a week or two, so you all should be seeing a how to video on installing that, stoked! 
now if only I can settle on rims and tires this jeep might finally be able to power itself shortly!

and all the goodies for that D30 from YukonGear.... axles are expensive to rebuild!
- Mike
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2016 at 2:27pm
dana 30 almost done.
you can make one of these case spreaders to!

- Mike
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2016 at 3:05am
anyone have any comments on my pattern, the farthest to the right is my last attempt.  (if you click the image it should go to photo bucket and you can make it larger!)

Edited by Speedy - 14 Feb. 2016 at 3:07am
- Mike
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2016 at 10:09pm
incase anyone is following copy and past from another spot

it was to be painted the thanksgiving past but the fellow at sherwin williams sold me the incorrect paint and I only realized months after.  
this was a huge dissapointment and still is, killed my entire long weekend and the painters. and not impressed at the money lost. and thee reason why I needed to step back from the project.
moving forward the dupont imron retailer is now helping me choose the correct single stage paint I want. so hopefully spring the jeep will have its colour.

axle painted left drums as is, (planning on disks)

super lift 2.5 inch lift.  

few setbacks on my end. mainly the spring hangers. mostly sorted out now, likely replace spring hangers sometime down the road. I should do those now but I have some confidence they will work out and I do not feel like messing with them. ( I will be saying that down the road when I have to do them on a car hoist lmao Roll Eyes (Sarcastic))

so now just waiting to finnish rebuilding the dana 30, that has been a delay also. hopefully it goes well as I am still working on it 

also purchased a second hard top.

so the mechanical portion is just about done, just need the steering put back together then purchase the dual master cylinder and plumb the brakes

if you want to make your own shifter

not much happening, just ordered all the new disc parts for the front of the Dana 30 should have them saturday.

also have a order from Hermtheoverdriveguy.com smile

anyhow have a few Dana 30 spindles kicking around and thought I should clean them up and check the OD's where the bearings and seals sit.

- Mike
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2016 at 2:58am
A caution about painting... prime the body to protect it, then assemble the jeep on the frame with the drive train in place. Make sure that everything fits together properly and that you have all the correct dash, floor and firewall openings, and that they are correctly sized. Be sure that the seats, pedals, starter, transmission and Tcase fit where they should without interference, etc.

Then take the tub, fenders, windshield,  grille, etc, off and paint them.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2016 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

A caution about painting... prime the body to protect it, then assemble the jeep on the frame with the drive train in place. Make sure that everything fits together properly and that you have all the correct dash, floor and firewall openings, and that they are correctly sized. Be sure that the seats, pedals, starter, transmission and Tcase fit where they should without interference, etc.

Then take the tub, fenders, windshield,  grille, etc, off and paint them.

much appreciated, its a willysoverland repli tub :) I dropped it on the frame and all the bolts line up. 
everything else looks like it has been re worked also happy with it so far.  but I will keep my eyes peeled for anything
- Mike
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 2:50am
I have received my order from www.Hermtheoverdriveguy.com 
I cannot say enough about the kind and professional service provided smile I am making an additional order with hopefully a powerlok for the dana 44 with a few more goodies.
I will have a very productive summer and hope to bring you all along! videos on the installs will come in short time.

Key hitters
- 30 spline full floating kit
- full float disc brakes
- dual master cylinder
- ford reverse steering
- conversion steering column kit

videos to follow on www.shnitzlhaus.com Smile

Edited by Speedy - 27 May 2016 at 2:54am
- Mike
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 12:01pm
That is one big pile of parts.  I love the disc brakes I have in mine.  There is only one concern with the discs.  The bearing races that go on them are not common.  I believe they are factory order only.  If one of the seals goes on the back side of the hub, where you can't see it, the bearing will shortly follow and it takes a couple of days to get a new race.  Since I have experience this, the fix is to take the front apart each year and check all the seals and grease.  If you hear any rotational squeaks from the front end it is time.  
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 7:54pm
I have the stock disc's on my dana 30 and those bearings were easy to source I was thinking the rears would use the same. 

that is interesting info, I will have a look at them. 
seems odd they would be hard to source,   they are going on the full float dana 44 rear with new spindles so I think they should hold up fine but I will now certainly maintain them with your info! :)

Edited by Speedy - 28 May 2016 at 7:56pm
- Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123