Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tires, How low can they go?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tires, How low can they go?
    Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 3:17pm
Getting ready to go to Southern Utah for some slick rock trail riding. I have new Cooker NDT tires and tubes mounted. Anyone have any insight as to what the lowest tire pressure I can safely run?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 4:04pm
I never run more than 20 in NDTs because the are so stiff anyway.

That's just me.....opinions will vary.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 4:17pm
If they've been mounted for a while you could probably let all the air out and not notice much of a difference. (at least on  6 ply's like mineLOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 4:20pm
We are planning on hitting this trail, but not attempting the more challenging obstacles. I'll be driving around most stuff, but hope to take a few things on that I can do safely in a stock 2A. So there will be some rock climbing like activity, and some bumps that I want to soften up if possible.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 4:36pm
I have run my NDTs as low as 10 and they ride awesome but then you will need to air them up before you hit the highway. On the FCT, I will drop them to 20. They feel pretty good off road, but I can still drive on the highway. At 20 lbs, you can feel the difference on the highway but it is well within control.

Some have told me that if you run your tires at 10 psi, you run the risk of the tire spinning on the rim and perhaps cutting the valve stem but I have not experienced this. I only did it for 2 days of trail riding and then aired them back up before hitting the highway.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 5:13pm
I wish you could pick me up on the way down. :(
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 5:41pm
Bretto,
Only going to be in the 70's down there  this weekend. I don't know if you could stand it.Evil Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 5:45pm
How many ply rating are those Cokers?
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 6:07pm
Well, neither Coker or Summit Racing, from whom I bought the tires give an actual ply rating other than "bias ply". I suppose it might say something on the tire itself, but I don't remember. I'll check it this evening.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 6:18pm
Moab in a flat fender is a BLAST! 

The tubes kinda complicate things, but on 15 and 16" rims the bead lip is still the same as a tubeless tire correct? The only thing to really watch out for is spinning the tires in the rim. You don't really see that happen too often at 10psi and above. 5-10psi I have seen it happen on new rims with smooth bead lips, espeically chrome steel rims. 

If your still running manual steering you probably don't want to go much below 10psi. I would start at 15psi and go towards 10psi as you feel more comfortable with it. 

If you can, you might grab a spare tube to take with you. I would imagine that shops in town might have one....but it could come in handy out on the trail too worst case. 

I wish I could get over there this weekend! 

This thread needs a picture of a flat fender in moab.....

Have fun, stay safe. 
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 6:43pm
Metcalf, we're actually going to SouthWEST Utah, St George area. Lot of family there so free lodging. Same red rocks though not quite so famous as Moab.

Don't think I'll take on things in my stock rig that you do in your flat fender on steroids rig, especially since I am really a novice driver.
I'm really pumped about this trip. Doesn't compare to your adventure to the snow fields, but this will be my first time on anything other than dirt and mud.

Here's a video from the trail we are going on. It's not a flat fender and I won't be trying this obstacle, but you can see there is some challenging spots there.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 6:51pm
Cool! I have wanted to head down that way. I am driving over to the Rubicon trail this June so I might just have to stop in that area and poke around. 

Wheeling is wheeling. I spent a lot of my youth in a bone stock flat fender getting into just as much trouble as I do now! You'll have a blast. 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2014 at 9:12pm
i run mine offroad and around town at 15lbs.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2014 at 2:32am
Stan, you may be surprised at just what your stock Jeep will do. Use 15 to 20 psi and it would help to have a Lock Right in the rear axle. But that won't happen this trip unless it's already in it.

BobW told me some of the 16" rims have a lip like the tubeless rims do and they hold the tire on better. 

When climbing, the approach you take to the hill and rock is most important. 
Life is only as good as you make it.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2014 at 4:40am
Ditto on what Carl said, 15-20 psi.

Your wheels probably don't have safety humps in the bead area.

Regardless of whther the tires are 4 or 6 ply rated they are likely 2 ply Nylon.

I've dome most of the Moab trails in a stock 3B including tire test hill and lionsback, buy did not do challenges like Mickey's hot tub or the escalator due to probable body damage.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 7:32pm
BTT

My question is, has anyone actually spun a tire or ripped a valve stem because they aired down too much?  If so, how low did you air down to? I'm talking tubes of course.

It just seems to me that 15 psi is not low enough to gain significant traction.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 7:41pm
I would go 8 to 10.....but like stated above opinions will vary.

Never spun a valve stem out of a tube (but that is all based on 4 cylinders)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I would go 8 to 10.....
 I'd like to run 8.  I figure if the valve stem slipped gradually, you could just keep an eye on it and if it starts to slip, flip your tires from side to side to cause the action to go the other way.  I'm just wondering if anyone has run 8 with a tube and actually spun one that ruined the tube.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>