Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tires, How low can they go?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 10:53pm
A lot depends on the weight of your vehicle, type of tires, and the surface you are driving on. I have aired down the tires of my F350 crew cab 1 ton to 14-15 psi when launching a 4500 lb. boat on a dual axle trailer across the beach in Baja. These tires are Toyo M55s 285-75-R16 load range E.

If you are driving a very lightweight vehicle (like our Jeeps) I expect that you could go to 10 psi - maybe a little less. The more plies in the sidewall, the more lateral support you get, the lower you can air down. The best index might be the percentage increase of the tread width. Going from 6" tread width to 7.5" is probably realistic - try this in your driveway and and see how much you need to air down to get to that width. 
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2016 at 11:50pm
Keep in mind a stock running sad Willys Jeep will climb a hill if it keeps traction steep enough to flip one over. SO if you have no roll bar/cage you best be careful.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2016 at 1:22am
Thanks for the input guys. I know there are lots of variables what I am looking for is testimony from someone who has actually tore up a tube because they aired down too low ..... other than a flat

..... or testimony from those who have aired down tubes below 10 lbs with success.

Edited by jpet - 02 Mar. 2016 at 1:25am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2016 at 2:13am
Jeff- go ahead and run 8 but watch your footprint. Bias tires "oil can" and you will lose traction because the centerline lifts. also, for Moab you don't want to lose axle clearance by airing down too much. It makes the steps harder and you loose grip on side slopes.
I've done 'tire test hill' at 35 psi in 2wd. there is a ton of hype out there.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2016 at 1:17pm
If you read through the pictures here you will see dash instructions of 7 lbs for entering and leaving water, but you knew that from past experience?  I would assume the military had done some research on low tire pressure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131739208219?rmvSB=true

Edited by willys54wagon - 02 Mar. 2016 at 1:28pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2016 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Jeff- go ahead and run 8 but watch your footprint. Bias tires "oil can" and you will lose traction because the centerline lifts. ..... 
 I'm guessing the smart thing to do would be to chalk up the tire and check the perpendicular contact, keep airing down till the center starts to disappear?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2016 at 6:41am
Contact the tire manufacturer and see what they say???
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12