Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reluctantly rebuilding my '48 trans......help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reluctantly rebuilding my '48 trans......help?
    Posted: 07 Apr. 2014 at 7:59pm
I pulled and send my trans and tx case to a recommended trans rebuilder near me with a Novak rebuild kit. It was not shifting into 2nd and felt like the synchro was bad..... 9 months later, still no trans back and he's been dodging my calls...

I finally got ahold of him today and he is bringing me back the trans and tx case tonight. Assuming I get all of the parts I sent, back, I am going to try it myself.

This is the most complicated thing I have done on the jeep so far:
http://www.wjowsa.com/carstuff/1948-willys-starter-bendix-repair-and-replacement/

I am afraid to try this myself but I have the rebuild kit and new 2nd gear from novak conversions and will be following their directions:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t90.htm

I'm extremely nervous of making what will surely be a pile of parts, a worse mess. has anyone else worked from these directions with success?? Antone know a good pro or shadetree jeep trans guy in Utah that might take on the job instead?

G
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2014 at 8:37pm
Deep breath!
All the help you'll need is to follow Rick Stivers T-90 rebuild guide on line. The Novak guide assumes too much as far as how much I already knew about Tranny rebuilds...which was nothing....Stivers guide was how I did mine and it worked swell. A little advice......do the Transfer case as well especially if it leaks.
You have the best rebuild kit around. You'll do great.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2014 at 8:42pm
Just courious,was the recommended rebuilder just some dude with an empty spot in his garage,or are you talking a reputable mechanic?After 9 months I would worry I would be missing parts.
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2014 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

Deep breath!
All the help you'll need is to follow Rick Stivers T-90 rebuild guide on line......

x2 

I rebuilt one a couple years ago with virtually no mechanical ability and I was terrified. Follow Rick's guide to the letter. One little step at a time and next thing you know you have a rebuilt transmission sitting in front of you. In fact, it was one of my favorite projects of the build. There's a real sense of accomplishment when you're done.

I rebuilt another one for a different jeep a couple months ago and have a spare one sitting on the garage floor I may rebuild just to have around. 

You can do it.

Edit: I also rebuilt the TC along with the recently rebuilt transmission and that turned out great too. Again, slowly and carefully follow every step in the guide and you'll be fine.
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2014 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Oldwillys Oldwillys wrote:

Just courious,was the recommended rebuilder just some dude with an empty spot in his garage,or are you talking a reputable mechanic?After 9 months I would worry I would be missing parts.

He is an experienced transmission guy that left working a trans shop to pursue other interests, but still took in work on the side. We own a car shop and have sent him work before and did fine, but not this last one.
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2014 at 11:45pm
He just told me the parts rebuild kit I bought it not right, wrong parts, and he cannot get it all back together. Why do I feel like I have killed my poor jeep?
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 1:12am
Garp, everything will be ok. Everyone here that has worked on their tranny/transfer cases will offer info. Do a search on this site for rebuilding transmission and transfer case. Try different search words and read everything you find. 

If you buy a copy of the Willys shop manual for the CJ2A it will help a lot. Novaks and Walcks can help you.

The problem with buying a parts kit is most if not all the parts are made overseas and are of questionable quality. Also, you will not have everything you need in the kit. One thing you need to find is a NOS complete synchronizer assembly. The fit and material used for the blocking rings on original parts is better than overseas parts. 
Life is only as good as you make it.
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 1:21am
I have the manual, a Novak rebuild kit with 2nd gear. I may just take the pile to novak to rebuild and just be done.
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 1:53am
That would be a good move if the thought of doing it yourself is overwhelming 
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 3:14am
Ed
cj2a lefty
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Garp Garp wrote:

Originally posted by Oldwillys Oldwillys wrote:

He is an experienced transmission guy that left working a trans shop to pursue other interests, but still took in work on the side. We own a car shop and have sent him work before and did fine, but not this last one.

If I had taken it apart I might feel better about it. Today he dropped off my novak kit, a box of small parts and the main shaft. Has to go to his shop in another town to 'find the rest of it'. that doesn't sound promising.
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 4:07am
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 3:11pm
I hope you get all the parts back but if not they can be bought. Just buy another complete tranny/transfer cases and use what you need and save the left overs.
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2014 at 1:45am
Apparently I do not have a T90, I have a T86, which is why the parts for the T90 kit wouldn't fit, LOL.  SO, I dropped it off with the transfer case at Novak today and they seem to have a pretty good operation. Can't wait to get it back!

Now I jsut have to figure out this E-brake setup and get it happy too.

Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 3:47am
Novak called today, apparently it isn't a T86 either.. It's a T84! Also, does anyone know the correct parts for the Transfer case brake pads, the ones I see pictures for don't look like the units I have in the pic.
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 3:14pm
I think you better start looking for a T90 and D18 for your Jeep. 
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 3:31pm

I'm a little curious what your jeep actually is... Is it a CJ2A or a WWII jeep? (Bellcrank on axle or on the frame, machine gun mount or no?) Lots of guys with real t-90's in their old WWII jeep would love to have a T84 to make it stock.. I wouldn't rebuild a t-84 to put into a CJ2A as the T-90 is far superior and lasts a lot longer..   That is the earlier external band parking brake you have there too....that is WWII and not 2A.

I agree with Carl.. T-90 and D 18 from a 2A with a drum style parking brake with shoes INSIDE the drumis what you need to be putting back into that jeep.

Edited by F Bill - 15 Apr. 2014 at 3:33pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2014 at 9:26pm
If you want to trade the T-84 w/TC for T-90 w/TC, let me know and we can work out details. I am 25 miles north of Beckley, WV. Hope you are not to far away.

To add to what FB ask, can you post some photos of your frame and axles?

Now I understand why your mechanic stalled. That little T-84 is scary.
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>