Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time Willys owner, new project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2014 at 5:15am
and mom just donated 3 yards of Desert Camo canvas to the cause! should be fun. I'll pin it on in the morning, weather permitting.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2014 at 3:44am
no progress today.

In fact, I hit a setback. it turns out that I need to readjust the tub parts. The right side of the tub is 1/2 inch longer than the left side and the windshield frame is tweaked enough that the right side sits a full inch farther forward than the left.

I don't know how I'm going to handle this yet. I'll need to pull the tub, tub frame, and vehicle frame apart and readjust everything.

Edited by LesBerg - 28 Oct. 2014 at 3:50am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2014 at 10:48am
Hey Les

Nothing like a tape measure to bring us to our knees....I wish sometimes I could just "eye-ball" everything...darn tape measure get in the way all the time...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2014 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by mikec4193 mikec4193 wrote:

Hey Les

Nothing like a tape measure to bring us to our knees....I wish sometimes I could just "eye-ball" everything...darn tape measure get in the way all the time...

MikeC
Yeah. I'd kill for a tram gage right now...
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 10:52pm
Here are the pics of the nearly finished top frame.

and with a mocked-up top:

There's a guy local that has a pair of wire door frames. I'm going to check them out and see if they're the right ones. That will leave fabricating the latch rod and purchasing lower door hinge pockets.

Edited by LesBerg - 30 Oct. 2014 at 10:55pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 10:56pm
I'm hoping to have the money for 22ga aluminum to skin the roof and pick up the rest of the stuff for the canvas side and rear curtains.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 7:48pm
Hey everyone, I'm back. It's been a very busy year so far.
Early January, the trans cropped out in our 67 Ford F100. I was also offered a job down in Tri-Cities for an absurd amount of money. I'm working for Lockheed Martin supporting work at Hanford.

On Jan 9, my wife was t-boned in our Golf by an SUV. She wasn't seriously hurt, but she's been in physical therapy ever since. It's made it hard for her to do a lot of things, but she's almost back to normal now.

I'm working 200 miles away on a 4/10 shift, so I'm out the door Sunday afternoon and return Thursday evening. Makes for a long week and a short weekend, but it pays the bills. :(

We picked up a 1955 PD4104 (think Greyhound bus!) to be my living quarters in Richland. So this project eats into jeep time, and I haven't gotten anything serious done on it until this weekend. I've stockpiled a lot of parts and tools, but no actual work.

I pulled the tub and got started on facing new floors. I'll post pics when I get that far. The weather is nice, so I'm heading out to get back to work.

I'll try to have pics this evening.

Les

Edited by LesBerg - 19 July 2015 at 7:53pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2015 at 12:43am
Glad for an up date. Enjoy following your project.
Looking forward pics 👍🏼
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2015 at 11:34pm
The floors in question.... 

look like french lace.

My hi-tech metal brake in action:

is actually pretty low tech. The one I bought from Harbor Freight wasn't up to 16ga sheet metal.

So I made my floors and installed them:

and then everything got out of hand... I already had the tub off, and enough work had to go into putting in the floors that I might just as well fix the center side panels on the body....

I repaired the driver's side panel using metal from the far more damaged passenger side panel. instead of the tub being screwed together at the seam below, it's now welded. Cleanup and metal finishing to follow.
The passenger side panel was rusted badly enough that I chose to replace it with a hand fabricated panel made from 14ga stock. It's so smooth it looks out of place on the jeep...

and the railing along the top of the tub...

The railing was pretty badly damaged. And I don't have the skill or tools to create the narrow double bend on the new panel (above), so I opted to get the panels all lined up square, level, and 'in-plane' and completely replace the rails 'from curve to curve' with 3/4 inch 16ga square tube:

'Kerfing' the curve:

90% finished. I still need to grind the welds where I attached the 'rails' and do the finish metal work, but it's closer than ever before. 

I'm stoked that it no longer looks sway-backed from the misaligned tub. I've also started work back up on getting the canvas top made.

and then I found a Deuce for sale in Hayden on Saturday, and had to get a pic:

Edited by LesBerg - 17 Aug. 2015 at 11:38pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2015 at 4:55am
Man that looks so good 👍🏼
Awesome job with the square tubing turned out great.
Great pics.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2015 at 5:35am
Thanks! The main thought behind using the tubing was time, but I was also concerned with the stiffness of the rails with the extra length of the tub sides. It was pretty obvious that the original style rails didn't hold up well.
My one fear with using tubing was that it would be too narrow. The original (mashed up) rails seemed to measure about 7/8 inch wide. Welding the 3/4 tubing to the sheet metal would leave it 1/16 narrower than original. The truth is, you just can't see the difference. You have to grab the rails and feel the enclosed bottom to realize they aren't the original style.

"Then and Now"

never fear. I still have my four original rims and two M38 spares. They will go back on when I can afford new tires.

BTW, I have still have the set of 'Jeepable' BMW seats you see in earlier pictures if anyone is interested in trading for a passenger seat. I also have a spare correct driver seat frame if anyone needs one.

Oh. And with the exception of the 'center' side panel on the passenger side, the rails, and the new front floors, the sheet metal is all still the same.

Edited by LesBerg - 18 Aug. 2015 at 5:43am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2015 at 5:55am
And yes, the observant reader will notice a dog-leg in the front section of the rear wheel wells. I left extra material in the wheel openings because I haven't finished them yet - there's no 'lip', just straight metal.

I had to leave off for a bit and concentrate on getting other bits road-worthy for a camping trip to the north end of Priest Lake over the weekend of the 30th. I'll head out in the jeep on Thursday with the camping gear and my 12' Jon boat, and the wife will follow on Friday in the Dakota towing the boat you see in the background and the remainder of the gear.

So next weekend when I'm home, I have to replace the output bearings and seals on the transfer case and maybe do some spring work...

It's 75 miles to Beaver Creek camp ground and she's gotta be able to make the run solo. Come on baby, hold together...

Map:

Edited by LesBerg - 18 Aug. 2015 at 2:34pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2015 at 5:31am
Nice work!
Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2015 at 9:52pm
I'm a stock kind of guy myself, but I'm massively impressed by your can do/make do and mend approach to this project - it looks excellent. Hope your trip goes OK, and keep up the posts - I look forward to them!
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2015 at 11:26pm
Thanks! I think I get if from my grandfather. That guy fabricated more stuff out of nothing... He had animated Christmas yard ornaments before you could buy them. Used things like kitchen mixer motors and oscillating fan parts.

When I bought this I had been looking for a scout, older bronco, or a commando. I wanted a competent older 4x4 for hunting and camping and had enough room for myself, wife, two kids and a black lab. 

CJs had dropped from the list for lack of cargo room. but when I saw this one I knew it was perfect. Other than the stretch, it's completely 'original'. By original I mean it has the right kind of parts - e.g. the motor is an L134 Go Devil, but it's from a Willys truck. 

The origin of the stretch is in question. The parts used were high quality and very uniform, but the installation was a little sloppy. I believe that the parts came from a kit, and the installation was either poor professional work, or a decent driveway job.

Oddly enough, it could have been either. There are rumors that there was a Willys dealership up here in the Pacific Northwest that stretched some CJ2As new, and titled them as a CJ2L. If I could chase down the original title, or substantiate the dealership rumors, I'd be closer to knowing. 

There are several pictures of nearly identical jeeps from Washington, and I bought mine just across the border in Old Town, Idaho. I'll see if I can start a collection of pics and info on the forum.

I want to build this into what Willys might have done if they'd built a factory expedition model of the CJ2A in 1948.

Plans include (as possible 'original equipment' for the expedition 'trim level':
  • Stock 16" wheels with modern M/T tires in as close to correct size as I can (215/85R16 seems the closest. I'm going with modern tires as a concession to all weather driving. I want this to be my daily driver.)
  • Two spares, mount location TBD  (considering swing-away, rear mount using dually adapters as 'spacers' instead of a correct spare tire mount) 
  • Full Pioneer tool kit w/ high lift jack
  • Auxiliary 25 gallon fuel tank under the center floor, complete with factory-style filler
  • Period correct roof basket, mounted independently of the hard/soft top & roll bar
  • period correct auxiliary lighting
  • pintle hook and trailer light socket
  • overdrive
  • removable rear heater with defrost
Period custom mods:
  • SAS-style radiator overflow tank (if needed. British Special Air Service of WWII north Africa desert jeep mod)
  • turn signals, second brake light
  • 12v generator
Modern safety equipment
  • Winch
  • seatbelts
  • full frame-tied roll cage (1.5" .095 wall DOM tubing)
The only 'performance upgrade' I'm considering is a very small turbo. The company that would become Paxton actually made a belt-driven, two-speed centrifugal supercharger for the L134. At low speed, it developed 2.5psi* of boost, high speed it developed 5. The turbo I have seems to be a very close match to the RPM range and breathing characteristics of the L134, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

*can't remember if it was PSI or LBS now. I'll have to go dig it back up.

Anyway, I gotta get back to work...
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2015 at 11:15pm

Your CJ2+2A is looking good. Nice work! :)

Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2015 at 6:35pm
How about a picture of the bus? Sounds interesting.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2015 at 7:54pm
Les the Coast Guard had Willys stretch some MB's and add flotation tires for use as beach patrols. 
I have seen a picture of one on a calendar.  It looked similar to yours.  Tom  

64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>