Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Body tag number same as Serial Number?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgrondin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Body tag number same as Serial Number?
    Posted: 21 Apr. 2014 at 3:40pm
I bought what looks to be a cj2a and have read most of the posts regarding Serial numbers. The only tag left is the body tag which looks great and does say jeep cj2a with a number 73644. I havent seen anyone directly say the 2 numbers are the same but all the pictures seem to suggest this. What can u tell me?
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2014 at 5:03pm
The body tag is the serial number of the jeep as view by Willys Overland. The VIN on the title assigned by the state may not necessarily be the same. In many states the engine serial number was used for the VIN.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2014 at 3:58pm
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I think  we have similar questions.

I have a body tag and a matching frame tag, but my serial number tag is missing. Can the Serial Number tag be recreated using other information located on the jeep, or did it have unique information found nowhere else on the vehicle?
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2014 at 9:11pm
The number on the frame tag is the same as the serial number on the patent or serial number tag.  You can use that number to purchase a reproduction serial number tag.  Get it from http://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/4UWPIntro2.html  They are the very best tags.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2014 at 1:00pm
Not sure if this will help but..the tub on my PILE (1947 CJ2A) had no tags at all....I found I think it was a 5 digit number stamped vertically on a toe board gusset. I registered it with New York State with the "CJ2A xxxxx" and we were good to go.

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2014 at 2:37pm
Mike, the toe board gusset number is the ACM number (ACM is American Central Manufacturing who made the tubs for Willys).  The ACM numbers started at 1 whereas the Willys serial numbers started with 10001 so the ACM number on the Jeep was approximately 10,000 less than the Willys serial number.  So, by using the ACM number as a VIN, you have duplicated the serial number of another Jeep somewhere.
Sam

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2014 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by mikec4193 mikec4193 wrote:

Not sure if this will help but..the tub on my PILE (1947 CJ2A) had no tags at all....I found I think it was a 5 digit number stamped vertically on a toe board gusset. I registered it with New York State with the "CJ2A xxxxx" and we were good to go.

MikeC

Mike,

The number you used for your VIN is actually the ACM number. It was assigned by the manufacturer of the bodies, American Central Manufacturing, and was used for their internal purposes of tracking the bodies that they produced for Willys. It is not intended to be used for a VIN or vehicle serial number. Be aware that you may now have the same VIN as another jeep in circulation.

As far as not having any body tags, I have a few jeep like that as well. In my case, the jeeps VIN is (was - in the event the engine has been changed) the engine serial number. My theory is that in some cases where the engine serial number was used for the vin, the body and frame tags were removed to avoid confusion. I should point out that is my personal theory and has no basis in fact. The above paragraph is factual.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2014 at 2:44pm

Sam, you type faster than me.... Tongue

Joe DeYoung

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2014 at 2:46pm
No, I wrote less! LOL
Sam

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2014 at 12:52am
So what will happen when New York State DMV finds out they have duplicate numbers??? I didnt know there was anything wrong with this number....I feel like I have done something totally wrong now...any idea how I can fix this problem??? It took photos and a etching to get a registration from them...and that took like 2 months to get that little piece of paper...

I am lost now...what should I do??

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2014 at 1:03am
I would not sweat it until the duplicate shows up in NY.  Most likely, the Jeep is not even on the road, and if it is, it is in another state.  If it does ever show up, my guess is that NY will just add a letter to your VIN or perhaps use the engine number.  I think there is a low likelihood of the other Jeep being discovered by NY and that you will create a flap needlessly if you go and tell them that there might be a duplicate..

Edited by samcj2a - 26 Apr. 2014 at 1:29am
Sam

Post Reply Post Reply