Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good Maryland restorer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcfeely1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Maryland restorer?
    Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 4:23pm
Does anyone know a good Maryland mechanic that could look at my '46?  I keep trying to find the time to see why the electrical system keeps causing me problems but now just want it fixed.  Thanks!
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 5:33pm
I would think that, as simple as the electrical system is, any reasonable auto electrics guy could fix it. You should have a service manual to loan to the electrician.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Rabid_Squirrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabid_Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 5:45pm
How far are your from York, PA?
Rabid_Squirrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabid_Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 5:52pm
Vintage Jeep Specialties, LLC
2024 North George Street, York, PA 17404
717-846-1963

I agree with Mike, the electrical systems on these jeeps are pretty straight forward....however, there are lots of jeeps out there with "farm fixes" that make tracing electrical problems a pain in the tail pipe.

rmcfeely1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcfeely1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2014 at 12:43am
Thanks all.  I pulled the starter and it doesn't respond to a 12V kick.  Any ideas on that?
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2014 at 2:08am
Take the starter to a starter and generator shop.  Look in the yellow pages.  Take your generator or alternator also and have them all tested.  Might as well take the coil and have it tested too.  A lot of these shops are two or three man operations.  They can check out what you have and rebuild starter or generator if needed.  They can also direct you to someone to go through your system.

I am an electrical dunce but by searching this sight, the internet and asking questions I was able to instal a new wiring harness after I had the starter rebuilt and bought a new 6 volt alternator.  I don't like band-aid fixes so by starting with a new harness (Walcks) and rebuilt or new components I ruled out a lot of problems. (Also points plugs, condenser, coil and plug wires)

BTW your 6 volt starter will work with a 12 volt system.  My two 2A's and two of my tractors are 6 volt and I kept them that way but 12 volts may be easier to get help on or parts.

Good luck.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2014 at 2:46am
After reading your initial post, I must ask: Have you previously or have you seen a starter bench tested? Please forgive me for questioning you on the basic test.
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
woodshopguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodshopguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2014 at 11:25am
Contact Bill at Lime Street Carriages, lancaster PA. He's on facebook . . . .
#33468 Column Shift
42 GPW on the TO DO list
Bantam #259
3.25 @ Bantam Trailers (Also TO DO)
41 Ford Coupe coming along slowly

rmcfeely1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcfeely1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2014 at 4:19pm
Thanks for all the responses.  I will try a local starter guy first.  The previous owner had converted it to a 12V system and I did re-wire the entire vehicle with the Walcks harness.  It ran well for a while but now nothing. 
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2014 at 3:55am
Great!  New harness so you ruled out one problem.  I know a real mechanic that can diagnose electrical problems with a flashlight bulb, an alligator clip and a screwdriver.  It is fun to watch him diagnose a problem.  He is in his 80's and maintains his Rolls Royce, his 30 something Lincoln and a Minerva.  ( you must look that one up)  Oh, he does this with only one hand and he hangs out weekends at our little airport.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2014 at 11:26am
I googled that Minerva thing and found a bunch of possibilities.
These two, I thought, must be the most likely.

Which one are you talking about?

Post Reply Post Reply