Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Larry's Kubota Diesel swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2014 at 9:32pm
That's a good thing to do. Years ago, I had a 1954 CJ3B with Hudson Steering....man was it sweet! Like power steering! The Saginaw box is a lot more modern though. :)

Speaking of steering, I didn't take the opportunity to rebuild my bell crank while the engine was out....big mistake....it has some up and down play and seems to be causing me a clunk noise when hitting bumps sometimes...guess I'll be tearing it apart soon...hopefully I won't have to pull the radiator...:)
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2014 at 4:07am
Not sure if you remember, but I had asked about conversion costs earlier.  Ended up talking myself in to it, and bought the engine and kit off another forum member.

Anyway, I have a question.  Do you think Herm's Ford steering box conversion would work with the Kubota installed?  I ask because I have my project torn down to a bare frame.  I need to make a decision whether to weld on the later style bellcrank bracket, or if I can do Herms kit or what.  I'd prefer the Ford set-up, but wonder if it will fit along the left side of the  engine.

Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2014 at 4:11am
I'm about to find out, haha!  

If I can get some dang free time to work on it, I should be working on the steering soon.  I'm on the fence about removing the front cross member and making a new one, or just using herm's setup that is bolt on with less cutting and fabbing.  I just want to drive mine again, so I may go with the quicker option from herm.  

I see no reason why herm's setup shouldn't work with the Kubota motor.  The kubota is remakably similar in size to the original motor.  If anything needs to be modified, it would be the outlet on the radiator I think.   I removed the factory steering this weekend, and I see no reason why herm's setup wouldn't work with the Kubota based on the photos I've seen.  
2a #40500
Overland Diesel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overland Diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2014 at 4:35am
This is a V2403 Kubota in an M38 using Herms kit if I recall correctly. Jim routed his exhaust differently than typical.
1947 CJ2a -Kubota V2003 turbo diesel
1989 Jeep Wagoneer 3.9L Cummins
1985 Toyota BJ60 3b Diesel
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2014 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by pjensen641 pjensen641 wrote:

Not sure if you remember, but I had asked about conversion costs earlier.  Ended up talking myself in to it, and bought the engine and kit off another forum member.

Anyway, I have a question.  Do you think Herm's Ford steering box conversion would work with the Kubota installed?  I ask because I have my project torn down to a bare frame.  I need to make a decision whether to weld on the later style bellcrank bracket, or if I can do Herms kit or what.  I'd prefer the Ford set-up, but wonder if it will fit along the left side of the  engine.

FWIW, I agree with Daniel. The only thing I can see that might have to be modified is the lower radiator hose connection. Now is the time to have the radiator boiled out and checked anyway! I did and my Kubota runs super cool. It never got above 180 degrees on a 99 degree day while driving!
It has never even kicked on the electric fan since it has a 195 degree thermostatic switch. :)

Good luck on your swap pjensen641! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. :)
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2014 at 4:23pm
Wow, ask and ye shall receive!  It looks like Overland (Greg?) has the set up installed.

My radiator was shot anyway, so I am planning to just install an aluminum set up with electric fan.  I will probably fabricate mounts to the grill rather than the cross member.  When I select the radiator, I will look for one with a right side lower outlet.

My only preference for the Ford set up is that it is tucked away behind the crossmember, not butchering the grill and such.  Oh, and I don't want any GM crap on my Grandpa's Jeep.  He was a Ford man!Wink
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2014 at 4:53pm
That actually looks like a power setup in the picture that Greg posted. I see pressure lines.....

pjensen641...did I send you my itemized list of parts? I think I did...if not, let me know and I will send it again.
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2014 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by pjensen641 pjensen641 wrote:

Oh, and I don't want any GM crap on my Grandpa's Jeep.  He was a Ford man!Wink

Very funny

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Overland Diesel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overland Diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2014 at 12:55am
[QUOTE=Lemield] That actually looks like a power setup in the picture that Greg posted. I see pressure lines.....

pjensen641...did I send you my itemized list of parts? I think I did...if not, let me know and I will send it again.
[/QUOTE]

The Jeep in the picture has a V2403 T with a Bronco II steering box and power steering pump. This is mounted to the frame using the kit from Herm the OD guy.  The progress pictures are courtesy of the builder, Jim.

1947 CJ2a -Kubota V2003 turbo diesel
1989 Jeep Wagoneer 3.9L Cummins
1985 Toyota BJ60 3b Diesel
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2014 at 2:52am
I'd love to see a good photo of the frame mount!  If you or Jim have one.
2a #40500
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2014 at 1:34pm
I found a very nice Kubota Diesel emblem on Ebay and put it on the Jeep. I think it looks good without being too flashy. It attached with it's own sticky tape adhesive so no holes were drilled. ;)
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 5:33am
I too have a V2203 that i plan to swap into one of my jeeps...and if possible i would like to get a copy of the materials list you have...pretty please. Excellent work you guys and excellent thread.
So many projects and so little time.
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by kansascat kansascat wrote:

I too have a V2203 that i plan to swap into one of my jeeps...and if possible i would like to get a copy of the materials list you have...pretty please. Excellent work you guys and excellent thread.

Kansascat, please PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. :)
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2014 at 4:25pm
Took the Jeep out on Saturday for the first time since I reworked the fuel gauge ground...(Thanks Vernco.com...great writeup on grounding the fuel gauge!) Fuel gauge is working great now.

It was fun and the more I drive it, the better I like the Kubota conversion. I can keep up with traffic now!
I even had a couple of young folks stop and check out the engine. :)

I also put a new engine ground strap on the Jeep a couple of months ago too. Neglected to put one on with the conversion.

Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 3:05pm
I installed a tightsteer unit a couple of weeks ago and finally had an opportunity to drive the Jeep since the installation. WOW....that is all I can say. My steering was real good before but it is super nice now. No slop and very smooth.

If you have not used or seen one of the tightsteer units, check out Roger's website at:

This is a wonderful addition to any Jeep!
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2015 at 12:57pm
This weekend I discovered that I had my electric fan (Flex-A-Lite 394) wired incorrectly.....I don't know how I missed it before but when I turned on the manual override switch, the fan was pushing instead of pulling. A quick swap of the wires and it is working fine now. I have the fan mounted in the original fan shroud so a puller is more desireable...at least in my opinion although it runs so cool that I have never had to use it yet. :)

Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2015 at 2:50pm
That's the "radiator clean-out" option!  Actually, CAT dozers run a reverse fan like that to combat dirt infiltration.  Air is sucked in the side panels and blows out the front grill.
OverlandDiesel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandDiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2015 at 4:26am
Any video yet of this Beast in action Larry?? :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>