Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is my CJ-2A too far gone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nobodyspecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 11:17pm
That is a lot of good advice, from both sides.

F Bill, I have no extra parts. What you see is what I have. Wait, I lied. I have a valve cover, and a spare front axle. ;)

I have wondered what to do about engine and transmission. I was thinking about a V6, possibly, as I would love to drive this to work in the summer, once I am done with it.

Having so few parts, it is like a blank canvas. There are just many ways that I can go with it.
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 2:06pm
Josh, look into a modern 4 cyl engine to install. It will fit better and will be a high rpm engine. Also look for axles with the higher ratio that the WWII Jeeps had so the engine will run slower on the road at 60 mph. Also, look for 11" brakes for it if your going to use the Jeep on the highways at 60 or 70 mph. 

I don't recommend driving at 60+ in these Jeeps but if you like a real driving challenge give it a try. Once at 60 mph was enough for me and it wasn't in traffic. Keep in mind it's a short narrow wheel base and gets a little crazy at speed.

Most of all, if you build your Jeep have fun and take your time and make it right.
Life is only as good as you make it.
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 1:44am
Originally posted by nobodyspecial nobodyspecial wrote:

That is a lot of good advice, from both sides.

F Bill, I have no extra parts. What you see is what I have. Wait, I lied. I have a valve cover, and a spare front axle. ;)

I have wondered what to do about engine and transmission. I was thinking about a V6, possibly, as I would love to drive this to work in the summer, once I am done with it.

Having so few parts, it is like a blank canvas. There are just many ways that I can go with it.
Hey Nobodyspecial...

I was just thinking about this project tonight...go find a running newer Jeep and do a body swap...trying to fill all the voids in this project you are asking to go broke quick...I have almost $7,000.00 in mine and my PILE was a complete Jeep to start with...
This Willys Jeep is begging for a tub swap...there isn't enough left to start buying parts and then trying to fix each sub-assembly as you acquire them...everything you need on this is pretty pricey to say the least...
My smelly old 2 cents again...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
nobodyspecial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyspecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 4:50am
Since this one is missing so much, would I offend too many people if it became more of a modified project? ;-) I have the ability bend tube for a roll cage, and other items. I have a disk brake Dana 30 laying around with a matching 8.8 disc rear axle...

It could make a great farm toy, without spending tons on restoration parts.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 5:55am
Originally posted by nobodyspecial nobodyspecial wrote:

Since this one is missing so much, would I offend too many people if it became more of a modified project? ;-) I have the ability bend tube for a roll cage, and other items. I have a disk brake Dana 30 laying around with a matching 8.8 disc rear axle...

It could make a great farm toy, without spending tons on restoration parts.

Offense? Absolutely not! Build it to suit yourself, not the community at large. I'm not 'restoring' mine by any stretch. I'm looking to have a 'safe', reliable daily driver. At a minimum that's going to take turn signals, radial tires, full seatbelts, reinforced seat frames and mounts, 12v conversion, and a full roll cage.

That said, there are conflicting opinions about what you need for a "safe, reliable" daily driver. For example, whether a 12v conversion is needed for a daily driver. While I understand, and indeed respect, others opinions; if I need a jump start out in Idaho back country, my chances of getting a 6v jump start are virtually nil. Given that I'm planning on using this as a hunting and camping rig in addition to daily running, It's my opinion that in this case a 12v conversion isn't a matter of convenience, it's could be a matter of personal safety.

For a bit of background, my CJ2A is stretched 24" longer than stock between the back of the front seats and the rear wheel wells. It's part of the reason I bought it. Having a modification as conspicuous as that kind of precludes a 'correct restoration". 

My plan is to build it as an 'expedition' truck, but execute it the way Willys would have in 1948, only making exceptions for modern safety stuff. To me that means building my seat frames to suit the 'expedition' needs of the rig, but making them the way Willys would have - out of round 1" tubing ( I think) with 3" radius bends and using canvas or vinyl upholstery. The concessions to modern safety will be to reinforce both the seat frames and the floor at the attachment points to prevent 'bolt pull through' and anchoring seat belts to the roll cage (another concession to modern safety).

Similarly, I'm planning on making a 'late' CJ2A canvas top, but I'll need to add a second 'front' bow between the front and rear bows and an extra window to each of the side curtains to make it look right with a tub two feet longer than stock.

I'll add the pioneer tool indents on the driver's side of the tub, but in the flavor of 'expedition', I'm also planning on creating a tool indent for the passenger side for a handy-man (high lift) jack. It will also get mounts for two spare tires and two jerry cans. The jerrys will likely be for potable water, as the owner that stretched the frame installed a custom 30 gallon fuel tank.

So yeah, mod your jeep to please yourself. I promise no one here will hold it against you. The only words of caution I would give you are these: 

Modify it to suit YOU, not what others think you should do. 

There's no point in making it a rock crawler if you have no interest in rock crawling. Put it together and drive it. Once you know what you'd enjoy doing with it, mod it in that direction.

Edited by LesBerg - 30 May 2014 at 6:02am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 10:28am
I will agree with LesBerg to a certain extent. One caveat needs to be stated. The more you personalize it, the smaller the resale market becomes.
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 1:00pm

If I were to want something to start with I would want to get one that is mostly all there. Something like this will be a cheap start.

You still will have alot of time and $ into it
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2014 at 2:24am
I had a drive train a few more parts but IU paid a good price to start with. My frame and body were not nearly this good shape. I've learned alot and yes, spent alot of time and money - but it's solid and it's mine. If the sentimental part was there my ties would be even stronger but as is it would take alot to buy my jeep after what I put in it, and the time with my dad.
Bottom line for me and looking at your project was and would be that it's something to go with - and ya can't really screw it up. Mine ain't no museum piece but it's what I want for now and if I don't like something I got a welder and blue wrench in the shop and learned how to use them a lot better by now. Go for it if your a real shade tree scrounger.
    1945 CJ2a 11495

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyspecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 4:28am
Sentimentality does have a little sway here. I climbed around and played in this thing when I was a little kid, pretending to drive all over the place. Good memories, and I am hoping my son could have some good memories in it some day.

There was previous mention in here about replacement frame horns. For something that is not going to be a restoration, would it be better to just use square tube? I am still very interested in the frame horn replacements, in fact, I would love to know where a lot of you get your replacement parts.

I have an engine for it, a Ford 3.0 V6, which also happens to have sentimental value to me. It is from a 1996 Ford Taurus, the first car that my grandpa bought new, and that he gave to me just before he died. Coming home from work, I got ran off the road at 65 mph, driving off an 8 foot drop off, sticking the nose into the ground and pretty much going from highway speed to nothing instantly. I was a little banged up, but alive, and I know my grandpa was watching over me. Unfortunately, the car was more banged up than me. I drove it out of the ditch, surprisingly, but it had lost all its fluid except oil. Engine is still in perfect shape, and I am now looking for a 5 speed to hook up to it. (its the same 3.0 V6 that you could find in a Ford Ranger, so I have options)

I have axles for it, other than the stock axles, but I am not sure if I want to end up with it wider than stock, or not. I have a D30 and a Ford 8.8, both with disk brakes. those axles already have 33x10.5 BFG KM2s on them, ready to go, as well. There is just something about the narrow little CJ that I love.

Well, thats enough rambling from me, I am still very interested in where you guys get parts, especially frame horns, and stuff like that.
DMillet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMillet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 5:55am
I spent 4 1/2 years and about $15k to take mine from what looked like a pretty decent rig to something I'm actually willing to drive around in.  All that said, if you've got the time and the inclination anything can be done.  This is a Jeep, the parts are readily available, not too expensive and if you're not in a hurry you can do this.  Just take your time and enjoy it.  If it's not fun, you're not doing it right.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 6:34am
I started with a Jeep that had almost no rust problems I had all the drive train (missing a couple external engine parts is all) Over the last 11 years since it became mine and the 9 years since it came home. I have put about $5500 into mine. And its still a huge collection of misc parts and pieces spread all over my carport and shop. I figure another good year and $3000-3500 and I will have it on the road. Another 1000-1500 after that and I will consider the project done.

I paid $2.00 for my Willys and I have no doubt that if I include gas and shipping charges into the total when its done I will have close to $11,500.00 into it.

But it will be a 100,000 ,mile vehicle with a good 25-30 year life span before its all got to be done again. One of the grand daughters can worry about that I'll be most likely dead by then.

I'm not doing a restoration but I am working with what was when it was parked in 1976 a running driving almost every day jeep. In fact the weekend before it had been parked it had just returned from a 1000+ mile trip to the Steens Mountains in SE Oregon from Salem.

Your decision needs to be based on your budget. Its taking me almost 9 years to spend the money I have and it will be another 2 before I am done spending.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 8:08am
Missing battery tray, frame horns, motor mounts, engine, tranny, transfer case, drive shafts, etc, etc. You can buy a cheap parts Jeep and get most of what you need. Be warned - this could take quite a while, so if you are easily frustrated or impatient this will not be finished. 

Find a good place for the project and start to work.

The people on here will help you a lot.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 5:34pm
I think I'd go find someone's project that is complete, but the body is shot. You can then transplant your tub onto it, and acquire all the parts you need in the process.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
plowpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 6:45pm
The one big question is do you have a title for it? if not do you want to build an off road only Jeep?Are you willing to do the work to get a title if you don't have one ie buy a titled Jeep or a pile of parts with a title go through the hassle of getting a bond and all the hoops you'll have to jump through?Selling it ounce completed without a title is a hassle. It really sucks to put a bunch of work and money into something you can't drive anywhere.
when i grow up i wanna be a kid
Stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 7:08pm
I'd pass. Much cheaper to start with a complete Jeep.
1946 CJ2A #44093
1946 CJ2A #44754
1952 REO M108 Crane/wrecker

Pile of parts...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyspecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 8:12pm
No title, but I have been through that hassle before. When it comes to titling, I have nothing but time. I also have a large farm in the middle of nowhere that I live on, with plenty of places to go, where I won't even see paved county roads.

I can see why people would pass, I get that. However, I have always loved tinkering, and just have  a blast building things. This will be a fun little truck in the end.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 9:29pm
Those 'no titles'  just make better buys for us folks that don't need 'em ! ..... helps with the dickerin process WinkLOL
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2015 at 12:19am
Bigger the battle greater the victory.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>