Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Temperature Survey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 6:46am
I just saw one on ebay from England...the bellows type- less than a week ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smiths-thermostat-for-Allis-Chalmers-Tractor-Model-B-Willys-Jeep-N-O-S-/400761143283?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item5d4f39bff3

Should fit.....

Edited by misterberry - 29 Aug. 2014 at 7:41am
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 12:55pm
misterberry, Thank you for the information and link.  Do you use a bellow thermostat in your Jeep?

I've read on this orgiial post that the modern thermostat will close completely if it goes bad but the bellow will continue to operate.  I think the 1/8" hole you drill in the bellows eliminates that problem.
"COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 1:01pm
zooke581, I'm going to remove my housing (thermostat) and see what I put in....I'm pretty sure it is a 160 but want to double check.

I kinda hope it wasn't so I could put the 160 in and expect to see a change!
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 2:07pm
The pellet type generally fails closed while the bellows type generally fails open. Pete DeBella has NOS bellows type available (might be 160 degree only).

http://www.debellajeepparts.com/CJ2cooling.htm

I have a 180 in mine as the higher temp is believed to help dissipate moisture in the engine better. Generally it'll run at 180 but on a long climb up a hill can go as high as 200, which isn't a problem. 160 was the standard when only alcohol type anti-freeze was available because it boiled at a lower temp. As permanent type (glycol) anti-freeze became available the thermo was bumped up to 180 as the boiling point rose.

Larry

Edited by rocketeer - 29 Aug. 2014 at 2:16pm
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 2:23pm
Larry, so with the new coolant it can handle the 180 thermostat?

Do you have a bellow type or the modern thermostat?

Charles
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 2:54pm
Yes, no problem. I have a 180 bellows but I bought it about 9 years ago and can't remember where, sorry.

Larry
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 3:00pm
I just took mine out and it's a 180 also.  Had a piece of rubber like material in the top that was trapped,
so I don't believe it could close all the way.
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 3:07pm
Does it have a bleeder hole in it?

Larry
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 3:51pm
No..but I remember reading about that and was sure I did drill one.

Nope, (forgot it was right here beside me) If there is a hole, I'm going to need a microscope to find it.

Charles

-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 4:03pm
Larry, here is a picture of what I have.

-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 4:57pm
My stock jeep runs around 160F with a 180 thermostat and it ran around 160F without the thermostat. I've never seen the engine get really warm. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 5:15pm
Here's what the bypass hole looks like.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/thermostats_topic4714.html

Larry
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

My stock jeep runs around 160F with a 180 thermostat and it ran around 160F without the thermostat. I've never seen the engine get really warm. 

If it shows 160 with a 180 thermo one of two things is wrong; either your gauge isn't right or the thermo isn't working right.

Larry
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 5:36pm
Larry, I wrote a post to you but must not have sent it.

The stat. on the left...is the hole at 5 o clock?

Is that the one with the larger size opening?

Charles
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 6:25pm
Most new thermostats have a small notch in the edge of the center disc, which serves the same purpose as the hole we drill. The hole doesn't need to be 1/8", 1/16" would probably be fine, but I used a 1/8 bit because I had a short one and it would be more durable than a 1/16" bit. I drilled mine in the outer ring. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by rocketeer rocketeer wrote:

Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

If it shows 160 with a 180 thermo one of two things is wrong; either your gauge isn't right or the thermo isn't working right.

Larry

I checked the thermostat in a pan of water with a scientific thermometer along with two other T-stats through many cycles of heating and cooling of the water. The gauge may be off, the highest temp I've seen was around 170 for short durations.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 11:59pm
Larry, I had to order a 160 stat. from Napa and 4 lb. radiator cap.

I'll check and see if the stat. has the notch in the edge of the center disc.

Charles
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2014 at 12:13am
dodjh-

Glad to help - I have been looking for a reasonably priced bellows - type and luckily found a used and functioning 180 F
example. With my experience driving in SoCal and their temps often above 100 F, I thought a 160F might be better.
My temps were a bit left of vertical mostly, but sometimes rose to the region to the right. If that happened, i turned on my heater and added the heater as a means of mitigating the heat. At that temp - what's an extra 10 degrees?
I recently found a used bellows - type and think it is a 180 F. Rocketeer- your comment about interior engine moisture gives me pause....

Now that I am back north in Edmonton, Canada temps rarely rise beyond 90 F so heat isn't a factor here. Rarely does the needle climb into the danger zone until you climb big, prolonged elevations or try and run at speed.

Edited by misterberry - 30 Aug. 2014 at 12:17am
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>