Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Higher engine temperatures with overdrives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 3:29am
You have to excuse rock, he just likes to pick on me with every thing I say. I guess it's the only enjoyment he gets.

Yes, what I meant was when you increase the load on an engine, such as going into overdrive at 45 to 50 mph the fuel consumption and heat will go up. When you increase the load and maintain rpm the engine will put out more hp and that increases the heat output. If your just driving along a level road you probably won't even see the extra load and fuel consumption but if you climb a hill or have a head wind the engine gets loaded harder in OD than in direct drive.
Life is only as good as you make it.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 3:50am
Originally posted by Carlsjeep Carlsjeep wrote:

You have to excuse rock, he just likes to pick on me with every thing I say.

I guess you could fix that by saying what you mean the first time you post something instead of always coming back with "what I meant was........." or editing your post whenever somebody catches you in one of your misrepresentations or contridictions.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Hud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 6:15am
Check out this speed calculator,  http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/speed.html.

Then compare to these charts.

'scuse me while I get my popcorn.
"Go For Broke"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 1:56pm
Good, charts.......so on the first chart looks like horsepower peaks about 3600 rpm at 60hp.

Since OD causes "horsepower to go up" according to some......after shifting into OD the rpms will drop.

Should I expect horsepower to go over 60 at that same 3600 rpm or at some other rpm?    

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 2:14pm
In the second picture the weight is listed as 3,250 lbs, that's over 1,000 lbs of cargo in the jeep. I wonder what the stopping distant was from 60mph?!?

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

In the second picture the weight is listed as 3,250 lbs, that's over 1,000 lbs of cargo in the jeep. I wonder what the stopping distant was from 60mph?!?
That depends on whether the stop involved a large immovable object or not. Actually with fresh factory installed brakes in tip top condition and a strong guy pushing down on the pedal it might not have been too much over a mile or so. Wink
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 2:35pm
That DE-creases horsepower, right?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 2:42pm
The chart tells it all. Then add OD and watch the fuel consumption chart get worse. 

Sorry rock, I forgot that your perfect and never make a mistake.
Life is only as good as you make it.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 4:02pm
Sorry Carl, I can't find anywhere that I said I was.....but, I think I can find several instances where you come into a thread proclaiming how much you know on the subject and actually proclaiming your expertise on whatever the subject happens to be.......THEN backtrack on what you have proclaimed.

Has nothing to do with being "perfect" ....we all know I'm not and don't claim to be. I also don't come onto a post proclaiming my expertise before I answer a question either.

In hindsight I should have just let you spew fourth the misinformation.....probably only a handful of people would have noticed it anyway.....BUT, there might have been another handful that were confused by it too.

I'm done......we've discovered that as you press the gas pedal fuel consumption increases ...... and that as you engage OD you put more of a load on the engine.

Y'all carry on.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 4:18pm
The required horsepower to keep a vehicle rolling down the road at a constant speed, constant wind never changes no matter what gear you are in.  This is barring any frictional differences in the transmission between gears.  The potential horsepower output is higher at higher engine speeds (lower gears).  Shifting in and out of OD at the same speed doesnt raise of lower the HP output.

Fuel consumption then is typically best at high loads and low speeds IF (and a big IF) the carburetor is tuned to deliver a proper A/F ratio and the engine combustion efficiency is similar between the two engine speeds.  This is because the BSFC (brake Specific Fuel Consumption) for most throttled IC engines is best at high loads due to the throttling losses being reduced.  High loads at the RPM where engine torque peak occur will generally give best brake specific fuel consumption.  Torque peak is an indication of the RPM where the best volumetric efficiency occurs based on the engines valve timing and arrangement.   For this engine, it looks like 2000 RPMs would be the best cruise engine speed.

So, if fuel consumption really does go up when in overdrive, it means that the carburation and combustion arent anywhere near ideal.  I'm guessing the AFR must be fatter at the lower speeds and higher loads.  That might be as designed by Willys to help with combustion chamber cooling, or it might mean that the particular vehicle needs some carburator adjustment for proper fuel metering.  I'm not too familiar with the AFR curves of the L134.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you should only depress the accelerator just enough to get the majority of the power out of the engine.  What I mean there is that at lower RPM, you typically get to a certain point where pushing the pedal further doesnt do much in terms of power.  If I understand the operation of our particular carbs correctly, the further you push, the further the metering rod will travel, and the more fuel will be dumped in for the same amount of air being sucked in.  You are just decreasing the AFR by pressing further.  Once it starts running much lower than 11:1 you can actually reduce engine torque and power and make fuel consumption go wild.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 9:00pm
pjensen641, I have found through experience, on my 1953 Willys Wagon, that indeed 2000-2100 RPM is the happy place for my Super Hurricane Six. It also seems to be a happy place for the CJ's L-134 engine. I do not have a tach on either the Wagon or my CJ-2A. I ran some wires and a tach-dwell meter for my tests on the Wagon. I have not tested the CJ yet.

The Wagon has an OD and the CJ does not.

In my experience, using OD gets me better fuel mileage, IF I do not run at full throttle. If I can keep the RPM around 2000, and the throttle at or below about 1/2, I get good mileage and the engine is happier. I have not experienced an overheating problem with the use of OD. YMMV, literally! 

IHTH, Cpt Logger
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Old Boy Old Boy wrote:

The other question is how hot can these engines run safely?

The maximum operating temperature is when the coolant boils!  With just water and the low pressure cap on these engines, I would guess 220 or 230.

I'm unfamiliar with coolant in the UK eating head gaskets so just to give you an option there is a waterless coolant with an extremely high boiling point called Evans coolant here in the states that may solve your problem.

On days when the temps are in the 90s, my Jeep will run 200-205 with a 180 deg thermostat if I am driving it over 45.  45 and under it stays around 190 and I do not have an overdrive.
"90% of all carburetor problems are electrical"
Old Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 10:50pm
Well, 29488's engine now runs cool. This evening I fitted a 160F stat from Universal Jeep Supplies here in the UK. My old 180F stat is fully closed at 160F. I road tested the Jeep at around 25C in OD at FULL Throttle and it didn't get too hot. All seems well again.
The old stat.

46 CJ2A 29488, Harvest Tan, Sunset red wheels.

99 TJ.

2015 Ford Kuga Ecoboost.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 11:39pm
Oldboy, good your problem is behind you!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234