Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I don't know if its a money pit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 4:30am
Worth remembering is to make sure the shift cane is well waterproofed then. I presume the factory must have had a boot over it to stop it?? The layshaft and matching gears on mine are stuffed with very deep pits but the synchros and hubs survived. I forgot about the detents on the gearbox lid when taking it apart. Silly me. Twang off into the distance. Now to find a ball to replace it.
CJ2A rebuilder. Let the Willys Jeep live again.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 1:03pm
If you are storing your jeep out in the weather besides getting the shift boot it is a good idea to put a 5 gallon bucket over the shifter....Old tractors also suffer the same fate. I have several trannys in parts jeeps that are all powdery rust inside and locked up due to outside storage.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

micjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 10:08pm
At least if the internals are stuffed all the internal parts are still available. Just have to retrieve the old layshaft and cut it a bit to fit up the new countershaft. I presume it can push out either way?

I sent my case in with my engine block for a swim in the engine reconditioners hot tank at the same time. Oh and its no problem to weld on a lug if its broken off. They are cast steel so its not too hard to weld unlike cast iron .... And a bit of resurfacing to restore the dimensions as well. Anyway used cases are readily available so probably wouldn't bother unless you are right into correct date codes and want to maintain as much originality as possible. Me so long as its a T90-A1 I am happy. I am content to have a working and moving CJ2A.

My emergency brake drum is broken on mine. Some idiot hit it with a hammer trying to get it off and broke a chunk out of it. Oh well.

Edited by micjen - 24 July 2014 at 10:13pm
CJ2A rebuilder. Let the Willys Jeep live again.
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2014 at 12:07am
This is way more than I want to get into, so its FREE TO A GOOD HOME!

I'm sure there are a lot of parts that someone would like to add to their hoard. I live in south jersey. PM me if you want it and can pick it up.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 07 Aug. 2014 at 12:20am
Jim
F.T.S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.T.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2014 at 3:33am
BOWJA01

Were in south Jersey? I live in Medford.

F.T.S.
F.T. Stewart
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2014 at 12:33pm
Woodstown
Jim
F.T.S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.T.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2014 at 2:03pm
BOWJA01

Jim 
Give mean address I will pick it up.
Frank

F.T.S.
F.T. Stewart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12