Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U-joint Orientation ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brachus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U-joint Orientation ?
    Posted: 22 July 2014 at 6:18pm
Maybe it doesn't matter, but is there a specific orientation for the zerk on the u-joint when installing the u-joint?
I had come across another forum that mentioned it should be a certain way in regards to the shaft rotation, but I have no idea about the rotation on the TC.
47 CJ2A #101361 "Bugger"
42 GPW 75248
SPEN Trailer
62 M170 13758

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/brachus/Willys
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 6:39pm
The zirc should face inwards toward the shaft and be oriented to be easy to grease both ends and the slider. That's how I do mine anyway. I've had some that the only way to get to the zirc was with a needle greaser extension. What a pain.  John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 6:40pm
All I can say is the fitting has to point toward the drive shaft; otherwise you can't get a grease gun on it. I know this as I put both on my front drive shaft pointing out, it looks good off the jeep but when it’s bolted to the yoke there isn't enough room. Hope this helps I'm not sure about the shaft rotation though.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 8:17pm
Shaft rotation shouldn't have anything to do with it.  The zerc has a spring/ball to keep grease from coming back out.

As mentioned above, it needs to be installed so it can be greased, usually this means aimed toward the driveshaft (aimed at each other from each end)

There are some that still require a needle style end on the grease gun, as there's no room between the yokes to fit a grease gun end.

Many of the newer grease guns have a 'fat' end, where older American made ones had a bit smaller diameter end, and will fit between the yokes.

They also make u-joints with the zerc fitting on one cap, makes it easier to grease, but has some drawbacks.

1: They tend to get ripped off if you go offroad, because they stick out.

2: The grease is being pushed from one cap, to the other three, and doesn't always flow equally (may starve one or more ends)

Whereas a zerc in the cross section pushes grease fairly equally to all 4 caps.
5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
Brachus12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brachus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 1:15am
Originally posted by HillBillE HillBillE wrote:

Shaft rotation shouldn't have anything to do with it.  The zerc has a spring/ball to keep grease from coming back out.

Nothing to do with that. There's several posts online about having the zerk in compression rather than tension in regards to the spinning of the u-joint. Talking about stress on the joint itself, not the zerk I suppose.

They say it doesn't matter in most cases, just racing and 4WD vehicles.
47 CJ2A #101361 "Bugger"
42 GPW 75248
SPEN Trailer
62 M170 13758

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/brachus/Willys
 Post Reply Post Reply