Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front axle knock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front axle knock
    Posted: 31 July 2014 at 3:38am
Today I noticed that my front axle was making a knocking sound when the four wheel drive is engaged. It's most noticeable when turning. What might be causing this and what is the remedy? I appreciate any help, Thanks! Also, it only makes noise when in 4WD...
Eric
1948 CJ2a 'Angus'
Body ACM# 171327
Member IAFFC
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 3:43am
Do you have lock-out hubs, or the stock drive flanges?
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
ericw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 4:01am
They are stock
Eric
1948 CJ2a 'Angus'
Body ACM# 171327
Member IAFFC
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 4:24am
Do you know if the universal joint is a Spicer, Rezepa, or Bendix style? You will induce torque to the axle shafts while turning in 4WD on a hard surface. The reason is that in a turn all 4 wheels are turning at different speeds and the front and back driveshafts will not rotate at the same speed so it results in a the wheel applying a torque to the axle shafts.

For me trying to turn in 4WD on pavement results in a jerky side to side motion of my steering wheel. You might be hearing a knock as a symptom of the same thing.
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
ericw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 3:11am
Was driving on the grass at the time...
I am not sure what style I have.[EMAIL= ][/EMAIL]
Eric
1948 CJ2a 'Angus'
Body ACM# 171327
Member IAFFC
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 3:36am
There may be a tag fastened on the knuckle seal that tells you which type axle you have.....but this will only tell you what to expect when/if you take it apart....if it's loose and making noise, then a repair might be in your future....
ericw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 3:41am
Thanks, I will look.
Eric
1948 CJ2a 'Angus'
Body ACM# 171327
Member IAFFC
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 3:54am
It was on the top forward part of the knuckle seal on my jeep...under the grease as you can see...

There are different turn limits for different axle types....I don't remember what they are but they are in the manual...in an odd place it seems to me......

But if you have a Bendix for example and your steering is set for a Rzeppa it may make a noise....
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 3:39pm

I had the original Bendix joints in my jeep.  I heard clunking when turning while 4-wheeling.  I decided to knock it off and get home before I had a problem. 

The axle disassembled 50 ft from the paved road.  It required a tow truck to pull me out.  The Bendix joint fell apart and the balls broke the axle housing where the steering knuckles attach via the king pin caps.  The only thing keeping the wheel/knuckle assembly attached to the jeep was the front brake hose.

My SM states in the front axle section covering Bendix joints that it is impossible for the joint to disassemble after installation.  Yet, somehow I managed to do this – and ended up having to find a donor housing. 

I'd strongly suggest opening up your knuckles and inspecting the joints for wear and consider replacing with Spicer axles.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
ericw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 6:58pm
I took a look and it is Rzeppa...
Eric
1948 CJ2a 'Angus'
Body ACM# 171327
Member IAFFC
 Post Reply Post Reply