Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

drain and fill transmission?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: drain and fill transmission?
    Posted: 31 July 2014 at 5:23pm
Hello, everyone
Can I drain and fill the tc AND tranny through the tc drain and fill plugs? I can access the fill plug now that I have removed the rusted out passenger floor.
I am trying to remove the transmission floor plate but have one screw (probably not what is supposed to be there) still stuck and nearly stripped. If I can get it out and remove the cover, will that give me access to the tranny drain and fill plugs? And if I have to drill it out will metal shavings get into the transmissions?
I have two gallons of GL-1 and I'd like to get both cases properly lubed.
Thanks for any help.
Rick Estes
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 7:25pm
I found the best way to fill the t- case and tranny is with the plunger style pump that screws on top of the gear lube bottle. It looks like a big soap pump. They sell them at napa $6-$8 work great. You can get to the fill drain plugs on the side of the tranny from under the jeep.    Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 7:28pm
Oh ya and they are separate compartments so each one needs drained and filled.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 7:28pm
Thanks, Ben
So, I can do both from the transfer case?
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 7:33pm
Oops! I went too fast with my question. I will still need to see how/where the tranny plugs are.? I read somewhere that the two are connected and can be drained/filled from one place, but somewhere else said what what you said. I'll keep looking.
Thanks!
Rick Estes
gearwrencher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearwrencher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 8:29pm
T-Case and transmission are different.  Like Ben said go to Napa and buy their bump, Its great! don't buy the cheap Auto zone plastic junk.
Yes, you  will haft to get on the floor to do it .  At 61 I still roll around under my Jeeps on a regular basis in the dirt,  Some one hast to do it.
Jerry
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 8:35pm
Well, I'm 67 and I don't have a floor but I do have a rug I lay down under the Jeep ! My main problem is I can't find the tranny drain and fill plugs! Maybe they are covered in all the crud ! Thanks for the reply.
Rick Estes
gearwrencher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearwrencher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 8:48pm
Did you take off the Skid plate, helps allot .That fill plug is on the drivers side about half way up.
Fairly large ,1/2" Pipe plug ,again on Transmission. I know all about how high that crud can build up.
Jerry
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 8:53pm
Oh. Driver's side. From the pictures in the parts manual I thought it was on the passenger side. Thanks for your perspective- pun intended!
Rick Estes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 11:56pm
Ya the tranny plugs are on the driver side and are hard to reach with the skid plate on. the t-case fill plug is on the pass side when you fill it depending what gear the t case is in there maybe a gear in line with the hole if it is move the shifter to the other position.
blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 12:26am
Here's a couple pics hope they help. As previous...tranny plugs are on drivers side and transfer case on passenger side and bottom, a lot easier when skid plate is removed. And also I was told to fill transfer case first then tranny when empty..????
Craig
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 2:31am
What skid plate, you mean it's supposed to have some kind of a skid plate somewhere? LOL
    1945 CJ2a 11495
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 2:10pm
yeah, I hear you. Mine doesn't have any skid plates, not even on the oil pan...  Ermm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 2:17pm
Thanks for the pics- they help.
Rick Estes
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by eestes1 eestes1 wrote:

So, I can do both from the transfer case?
Originally posted by eestes1 eestes1 wrote:

Oops! I went too fast with my question. I will still need to see how/where the tranny plugs are.? I read somewhere that the two are connected and can be drained/filled from one place, but somewhere else said what what you said. I'll keep looking.
Thanks!

We have to drain both separately,  and fill both  . . .  the first time.   

After they are both full,   we can "maintain" using only the transfer case fill hole.     During normal operation,  oil is "pumped" from the t-case up to the tranny.  It drains internally back to the t-case,  thru a hole between the two cases.    This internal hole at similar level to the tranny fill hole.   (so the tranny stays full).

It takes about 3 pints to fill tranny,  and 3.5 pints for t-case,  if I remember correctly.    So you should have plenty.  1 gallon will fill both,  and replace leaks for a few years. LOL
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 10:50pm
Thanks, Ron and all. Hopefully, I will get back to it in a day or two.
Rick Estes
The Fez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2014 at 2:57am

With all the inspirational posts regarding changing the tranny/transfer case oil, I decided to tackle draining both today. The skid plate came off quite easily, just needed to remove a heck of a lot of clay/oil crud with a screwdriver and scraper in order to find the 9/16" nuts. They actually came off quite alright which wasn't too much of a surprised considering their mummified state in the crud. The drain plug for the transfer case is actually removable with the skid plate in place but the tranny would have been near impossible. It was very difficult to find with all the crud, not the ideal scenario I imagined from blademaker's photo, although it was a good reference. There is no way that 6.5 pints drained out so I'm glad that I took the task on.

Here is a shot of the transfer case drain plug hole after draining:

You can barely see the tranny drain hole, but it's just above the forward part of the tranny cross-member (just follow both oil sludge trails):

This is a sample of the oil that I put onto some paper. After a rubbed it a bit, water beads appear on the paper. I'm going to pull the shifter tower cover to take a look - might as well since I can fill the tranny from the top that way, as well.

Dennis Braam
North Vancouver, BC
1947 Willys CJ2A https://sites.google.com/site/willyscj2ajeep/
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2014 at 4:22am
Originally posted by The Fez The Fez wrote:

. . . 
 I'm going to pull the shifter tower cover to take a look - might as well since I can fill the tranny from the top that way, as well.

I was not going to mention,  but since you brought it up . . that is my method for drain-and-replace  (had to do it a lot in the mud-running days LOL)  
 - remove both drain plugs 
 - after all the oil drains out, replace the drain plugs
 - remove the shifter tower and pour in approx 6.5 pints (3.25 quarts) of oil
 - let it set awhile for the oil to flow from tranny to t-case
 - remove the t-case fill plug
 - if oil starts flowing out, -> replace, . . .  if no oil flowing out -> add some more in the top of tranny until it does,  then replace the t-case fill plug
 - replace shifter tower cover.

No oil pumps required,   not messy at all.

Fez - >  it looks like yours was due a drain and fill.  That 2nd pic looks like tar draining out LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>