Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grease protector needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grease protector needed
    Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 5:11am
I have a '43 GPW that was retrofitted in it's distant past with CJ-2A axles.  Though I restored it over 20 years ago I have never been into the brakes until a couple weeks ago.  I drive my GPW extensively so I decided to replace the entire brake system front to rear.  When I pulled the hubs off the rear axle I discovered the brake grease protector was missing from the right side.  I was wondering if anyone would either have one they would sell or knew where I could find one?

Due to the CJ2 axles my GPW/MB manuals have been of little use in this endeavor.  But someone suggested I check out this site and it has turned out to be very helpful in answering any questions that have materialized.  So a big thanks to everyone here!

John Davidson
'43 GPW
'52 M-37 & M101 trailer
'59 L-19 Birddog

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 3:52pm
John,
Since you have civvie axles, having a Service Manual that covers CJ's is not a bad idea.

If no one here has a spare, I'd suggest contacting Harry Sheets as he deals with original parts and may have those grease retainers.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Wally P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2014 at 1:13pm
John,

We may have what you're looking for, but need a better description of that part.

Shoot us a PM.

My best,
Wally
TONKA JEEP LIMITED
Minneapolis
sales@tonkajeepltd.com
tonkajeepltd.com
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 3:09am
Vern has the answer!

I will find the link but it disappears from time to time.

http://www.vernco.com/RearAxle2/

Edited by ralf - 04 Aug. 2014 at 3:31am
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
av8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 10:01pm
Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies, both on the forum and via PM.  I now have the grease protector ordered and on the way.  Looks like I'm also going to have to replace the passenger side rear axle shaft due to some mangled axle nut threads, but I have all the parts for that ordered as well.  I think the vernco like will prove quite helpful when I get started on that.  I think the suggestion to get a copy of the CJ-2 manual is a good one and I will be following up on that as well.  I'm sure Ill be back with more questions down the road.  Thanks again.

John Davidson

Post Reply Post Reply