Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ross steering clips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ross steering clips
    Posted: 02 Aug. 2014 at 1:08am
Does anyone know where I can get new bearing retaining retainer clips for the early cj2a ross steering box. Mine have lost their spring and wont stay on the shaft.
tomc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 9:20am
Anyone?
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 4:02pm
I guess we don't know what part you're talking about. The bearings float on the shaft. Maybe yours had that little dealy that held them all in place?Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 5:04pm
This is a pretty informative post by Sean a few years back.  Does this help?

Tim

Gents:

Hope this might help:

• The retaining rings (red) serve no functional steering purpose.  They are merely assembly aids, to keep the balls (green) & races (yellow) in place on the worm as you insert it into the gearbox. It can be done without.
  • The bearing cups (yellow) have to face inward.  They are NOT press fit in the gearbox, just an easy slip-fit.
  • The shims (light blue) under the top bearing cap are what set end-play.  Add/remove shims until there is barely noticeable drag as you turn the steering wheel with thumb and forefinger at the far end of one spoke.  ie, this is a "zero" clearance adjustment, but not too tight.

To assemble w/out the retaining rings:
  1. Put the lower cup in the gearbox.
  2. Grease the ball bearings and place in the cup.
  3. Put the worm shaft in place in the housing so it's fully seated on the lower ball bearings.
  4. Grease the upper ball bearings in place in the cup.
  5. Put the upper cup in place.  Rotate it a bit so it seats well on the worm. 
  6. Start your shimming & clearance checking with the bearing cap.
Make sense?

Sean

PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 5:34pm
Agreed they don't do much anyway except to help hold things in place during assembly. Mine fit really loose and wouldn't stay on tight until after the balls were put in the cup to help even out the tension on them. In fact before the balls were in place the cup would slide right over the clip.

I can imagine you could tweek them with a set of pliers if needed.

Here's a video i used to put mine back together.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsILb3-O4AY

Charles
 Post Reply Post Reply