Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubba Repairs - Genius at work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bubba Repairs - Genius at work
    Posted: 19 Aug. 2014 at 11:41pm
I have always been intrigued by the genius of the Bubba backyard repairs that appear from time to time. My CJ2A project seems to have more than its fair share.

Please share all those wonderful repair stories and pictures most of us seem to come across in the process of restoring their CJ2A ride. Things like why change a tierod when you can tie it into place with fishing line? Or why repair a frame when a railway sleeper works just as well? Or how about a wooden body frame?

I will start the ball rolling with one. Why repair a broken spring when you can simply bolt a piece of canvas strap to a shock and tie it to the frame? Genius.

Clap
In the spring photo one can see the broken eye of the spring. It would have been quicker to change the leaf than make up the shock-spring combo.

CJ2A rebuilder. Let the Willys Jeep live again.
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 2:33am
Looking forward to this. I wish I had keep some photo history.

I really thought the chain w/spring attached to dash then attached to shift lever to keep from popping out second was great. I guess he drank hot coffee and liked second gear.

Edited by johnnybravo - 20 Aug. 2014 at 2:41am
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 4:20am
Mine came with a steering column broken in two. It was repaired with a piece of heating duct and a couple of hose clamps.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 7:35am
Originally posted by micjen micjen wrote:

I have always been intrigued by the genius of the Bubba backyard repairs that appear from time to time. My CJ2A project seems to have more than its fair share.

Please share all those wonderful repair stories and pictures most of us seem to come across in the process of restoring their CJ2A ride. Things like why change a tierod when you can tie it into place with fishing line? Or why repair a frame when a railway sleeper works just as well? Or how about a wooden body frame?

I will start the ball rolling with one. Why repair a broken spring when you can simply bolt a piece of canvas strap to a shock and tie it to the frame? Genius.

Clap
In the spring photo one can see the broken eye of the spring. It would have been quicker to change the leaf than make up the shock-spring combo.

If the bloke was way off the beaten track, this may have been a "get me home fix" that lasted waaay longer then Bubba planned. In the Outback (does this get capitalized?) the needed springs just might not have been available. Here in the western part of the U.S. thing get fixed enough to get us home and then gets repaired properly when we get home. For some ranchers it helps to find time, the parts, and the $$ at the same time.

I have seen lots of odd stuff. I once found an oak beam installed in the frame of a 2.5 ton farm truck. It kept the two broken pieces of the frame together. I found an exploded U-joint repaired with about 10 feet of barbed wire. The ranch hand had just wrapped the barbed wire around the joint until he felt it would get him home. When it broke, he just wrapped in some more! It was a major PITA to repair. Yes it was barbed wire, not baling wire! I have the scars to prove it. Oh, I just looked, the scars have faded over the years. I can still see them if I look close.

Not a Willys, but I found the wing spar on a Cessna 185 from Alaska repaired with an axe-cut & shaped piece of Douglas Fir. It was not approved by the FAA. The pilot said it had been that way for as long as he had owned the airplane. I estimate that it had been installed for at least 25 years. It was well done, so I tried to get a one-time field approval from the FAA. They did not see it the owners way. We installed a new-to-us wing and the old one went on the pilots wall with the Fir beam prominently displayed! Now that I am studying to become an engineer, I can see that it would probably work, but I can not prove it (too many variables). Twenty five years of "testing" does not count with the Feds, nor should it.  
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 1:25pm
I have no pics,but many years ago ( Bruce may recall ) my dad worked in the oilfields.We had a jeep comando,the rear body mounts had rusted away,so we stuck a long 4x4 across the frame to hold the body up.This worked for a year or more untill the whole jeep gave way.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 2:17pm
My '51 M38 had a home made switch plate installed over the military oval hole for the three lever light switch. Upon removal I found they torched clearance for the switches instead of just arranging them vertically. That took a day to weld up and grind out nice. They also just drilled out the captive threads for the original switch instead of using them to hold the bubba plate. Mental Giants! Angry John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 3:39pm
Sitting at Goodyear waiting for a hydraulic hose to made and thinking about bubba mods I have encountered. I bought a jeep for parts. One of the wheels only had two wheel studs with nuts attaching the wheel & tire. Later when I deceided to disassemble I found one hole of wheel welded to the broken stud. It took a long time with Burr grinder & drill trying to save the wheel.
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 3:55pm
I had a 1948 CJ2A when I was just out of high school that had rusted out so bad, the previous owner had made the back half of the body from 3/4 plywood. They followed the body lines pretty well and it looked like a Jeep. :)
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 6:37pm
The same M38 had a suspicious home made flat metal piece clamped to the bottom of the steering column at the top of the Ross Box.  Upon dissassembly I found a Jeep pickup worm and shaft installed in a M38 Ross box. It's 2 inches longer than the M38 worm and shaft. That meant the column was 2 inches taller which is good for boys with big guts! I'm anal so I put it back right.  Kinda smart though. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 7:21pm
Years ago, my Dad and I worked on an old Jeep that we bought fairly cheap. They said it was rewired...it was...with solid core house wire and about 300 wire nuts! 
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
MaineJeep 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaineJeep 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 9:54pm
My Current 47 has two very unique Bubba fixes.  The front fender "steps" are made of 3/4" solid Oak and painted with the same paint as the jeep.  The inner windshield frame got similar treatment with stripped out oak a few well placed screws and a pop rivet or two.  Not strictly original but very "Original", and surprisingly hard to spot unless you happen to be looking for it.
46 CJ2A 40,077 Rusty & Running
46 CJ2A 28,577 On Life Support
47 CJ2A Runner with Character!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2014 at 11:26pm
My name is Ben Mckinny I live in Nyssa OR. I purchased a 1946 cj2a from a bubba. I know a picture is worth a thousand words so here's a few thousands worth. ALT mount.

<

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 02 Sep. 2014 at 12:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2014 at 11:29pm
Bubba welds.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2014 at 11:34pm
Years of bubba welding stuff to bumper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2014 at 11:41pm
Bubba shackles.    Bubba made u-bolts out of small all thread. Oops to short weld some more on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2014 at 11:49pm
Anywhere bubba saw a loose body bolt he added a plastic body shim. There must be 30-40 of them on this old jeep. I guess it keeps all the loose bolts from rattling. Ha ha.    
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2014 at 11:55pm
Wow some of those a great.  The only good one I had was the push rod for the horn on my M38 had rotted down, so to make up the gap they used a spent 45 casing.  There were another handful of live 45 rounds lost under the gas tank.  These were the old school stainless casings.  I have been trying to find the photo of the top that was made out of camper parts, it is definitely a classic.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2014 at 11:58pm
I don't know if bubba jumped this jeep or what but the frame has had a hard life to say the least. [URL=http://s67.photobucket.com/user/bensseamlessgutters/media/52E68D9F-C720-4431-9CC3-E988C14ACB20_zps37sgmrt6.jpg.html][/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>