Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T-case Rattle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-case Rattle
    Posted: 27 Aug. 2014 at 7:17pm
I am getting a rattle out of the T-case I think.  I only seem to get it at high speed, over 30, and under uphill load.  Putting it into 4x4 does not change it.  Putting in the clutch stops it, I assume because the load is removed.  I only get it in 3rd gear, but I assume that is from the speed as opposed to anything else.  The bearings in everything are new.  It is not a tinny rattle I would almost call it a high speed knock.  It is definitely not coming from the engine.  It does not seem to have any effect on performance.  I have tries wiggling all the shifters while it is happening.  No change.  I have checked to make sure it isn't the pedals rattling around.  

Edited by 52 M38 - 27 Aug. 2014 at 7:19pm
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2014 at 10:46pm
I did check the u bolts that hold the prop shafts, they are fine, no play in them.  I have a barely noticeable amount of play in the parking break but I mean pushing on it is essentially nothing.  I don't feel any vibration though the sticks.  I do not believe it is the exhaust, but have not been able to rule it out.  I think the frequency is too high for it be the exhaust rattling.  
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 12:23am
Any chance the exhaust pipe is hitting against the stay cable bracket which is attached to the transmission cross-member? Or maybe a broken exhaust hanger somewhere? I've had both problems that resulted in odd noises but only under certain load and/or RPM conditions.
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 12:31am
My exhaust is always suspect when I have noises.  It looks like a Picasso.  It was trash before i cut, welded, didn't like it, cut it and welded it again.  Currently the muffler is under the rear floor riser and that is the last piece of the exhaust so I also get my monthly does of CO when I drive.  It does on occasion hit the the drivers side rear spring mounting bolt, obvious from the dent in the muffler.  It is nicely held up by a piece of coat hanger.  Next year I will work on the exhaust. 

Edited by 52 M38 - 28 Aug. 2014 at 12:47am
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 1:38am
On mine one of the 1/4 -20 bolts that hold the sheet metal transmission cover on was too long and was bumping against the transmission itself. Kind of a low pitch solid sounding rattle. But it was not constant..it would do it enough to make you crazy though... 
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 1:45am
You could take an old hammer handle and put it up against your ear and put the other end on the xcase and drive. Something long enough so you can watch where you are driving . You will hear something if its the culprit.
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 2:07am
And they do make a stethoscope for automotive use..they are not expensive.....and that way you may save your ear and molars if you were to hit a bump!
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 3:42am
What style E brake do you have? The M38A1 style external shoe will rattle against the drum at high speed if adjusted incorrectly or in my case the outside of the drum is coated with gear lube.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 12:35pm
I will do some searching this weekend and try to determine the culpret.  I may take the PTO cover off the trans and have peek in there to make sure all is well. 
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 7:57pm
Oil level?????
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

What style E brake do you have? The M38A1 style external shoe will rattle against the drum at high speed if adjusted incorrectly or in my case the outside of the drum is coated with gear lube.

I will look into that.  I plan to pull e brake and look.  Mine has a brake just like the 2a.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by jaksjep jaksjep wrote:

Oil level?????

I normally have the opposite problem.  Since i can fill my transmission from the top I don't bother to fill it through filler plug, as a result a usually have too much oil in it.  Generally I let the excess leak out.  It is like driving a rolling Valdez.

52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2014 at 4:57pm
No resolution on this, it has quieted down.  I have decided that since it is not from the engine.  I'm not going to worry about it.  If some component eats itself i will solve it then.  Thanks for the help. 
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2014 at 4:48pm
My 2a Had a funny rattle at higher speeds drove me crazy for along time then one day I leaned forward and looked down at the hood while driving. The hood was moving side to side in the sloppy hinge making all kinds of noises. Added some small zip ties to the hinge rod to take up the slop. Problem solved.   The bolts on the tranny cover where mentioned. Also check the screws that hold the cover for the pto shifter. Mine had rubbed the t-case.
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2014 at 10:58pm
52 M38, if you rode in my Jeep and heard the gear noise you would never complain about yours again.
Life is only as good as you make it.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2014 at 11:50pm
Whilst I was regapping my valves today I noticed that the heat rises is substantially messed up.  The spring is doing a whole lot of nothing, but it flops back and forth and makes an odd knocking rattle.  I promptly set it up so it is always in the "hot" mode.  That may have been my mystery noise.  We shall see. 
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2014 at 10:30pm
I think that was it.  No rattle on my drive today.  I know lots of people have problems with the heat riser seizing, I apparently had the opposite problem.  i will let you know if it comes back.
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 10:45pm
Glad you found your rattle. I fixed my heat riser open permanently long ago.

As to a rattle, a friend has a rattle in the drive system he can't get rid of. When he is accelerating it's not there, when he is decelerating it's not there. When he is driving on a level road at constant speed it has a rattle in the drive line in any gear and low and high in the transfer case. He has rebuilt the tranny/transfer case, the rear axle, checked the front axle, removed the front drive shaft, removed the rear drive shaft and used 4 whl dr, checked for anything touching anything, swapped drive shafts and nothing has removed the rattle. 

Life is only as good as you make it.
 Post Reply Post Reply