Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 shift fork mending

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 shift fork mending
    Posted: 01 Sep. 2014 at 6:43pm
Your opinions on this please.
In an attempt to close up the tolerances on the 2/3 circuit of the tranny, I am looking at the shift fork.  While it doesn't look worn than bad, there is some wear.  Do you think that the face of the fingers could be welded and ground to build their surface up?  Or are these not weldable?  It was thinking to controlled heat, just spot weld and to let it cool entirely between each hit as to not let the heat build up.
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 5:35pm
no one?, hmmmm
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 5:50pm
I think you could weld it. I was going to do that to a worn one I have, but wound up pulling a better one to rebuild my shifter with.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 8:03pm
Bretto

You can build them up with a stainless steel rod very effectively, the SS work hardens and also being non corrosive works very well.

I did the selector forks on my old GMC some time ago and its never jumped out of 5th since....

The trick is to dress them evenly with a grinder so both sides contact at the same time....

Adrian

PM me if you want more detail.... 
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 8:19pm
I dont have the means to do that.  Only have a standard MIG setup.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 8:28pm
You just need a 2.5mm 316 0r 304 stainless steel  welding rod and a caddy welder.....no real special gear need.

For the size of the job perhaps you can borrow a caddy....its not worth getting the SS wire for the mig or gas, big $$$$$$$$$.

Adrian

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 8:30pm
Or you could buy a good used top cover... or new forks
 Post Reply Post Reply