Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jerry cans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jerry cans
    Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 5:47am
Howdy all,

I have two metal jerry cans that have rust on the insides,but do not leak water. Is there a decent sealer on the market that will NOT fill my fuel filter with sealer? That was my experience many years ago with my Model A tank.
Jeep junkie
jeepjunkie
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 3:26pm
I do not get the question.  What does jerry cans have to do with a fuel filter ?  They do not have fuel filters on them. Yes they have a sealer that can seal the rust on jerry cans.  Get it at a good automotive supply store
Ed
cj2a lefty
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 4:22pm
Ed, if I read it correctly he's just wondering if he can seal the cans well enough that when he uses them to fuel his jeep they won't pour debris from the sealing process into his tank.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jeepjunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 4:54pm
Thanks to you both,
I apologize for not making myself more clear.
Rocnroll had it dead on. I am just looking for a sealer that will not flake & glop off of the can walls & foul the fuel line and filter.
Counter people are often very inexperienced and of little help.
JJ
jeepjunkie
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 4:59pm
Can you get your hand in the top?  Sand paper will take care of any crud, wash out, then just add rustoleum and shake.  As a disclaimer I do not have any jerry cans yet, but plan to go plastic for just that reason.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 5:02pm
I would suggest going to Google and do a search for fuel tank sealers. By doing it that way you will get both manufacturers of the product and also results that will be different forum postings and discussions that you will be able to read and form an educated opinion.

Have heard good results with the POR 15 products but there are other very reputable products too.

Read a little on some of the old car forums and also the old tractor guys are knowledgeable on the subject.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 5:08pm
I've used the tank sealer from Eastwood and the one from POR-15. Both seemed to work real well....nothing has come off yet.....the key to success though is the prep work.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 5:08pm
I've used the Eastwood fuel tank sealer and it seems to work very well.  No crud leaving the tank, stays attached to the tank and seals it.  I'm happy with it so far.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Hugh Hedrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 6:42pm
Not sure about sealer. i put pea gravel in my jerry cans and shook them up real good to knock flaky rust and crud loose out of mine. it worked well and then i just hosed them out real good. rust and crud hasnt returned. yet.
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 6:45pm
Also i carry gasoline in mine which has saved me a long walk a couple of times.
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Hugh Hedrick Hugh Hedrick wrote:

I put pea gravel in my jerry cans and shook them up real good to knock flaky rust and crud loose out of mine. it worked well and then i just hosed them out real good. rust and crud hasnt returned. yet.

I like it...That would make fast work of crud.
hideandseek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hideandseek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 6:55pm

I use KBS sealer in my jerry cans, no problems!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 6:55pm
Took the gravel from the driveway. worked like a champ.   used maybe a quart of it i think.
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2014 at 7:10pm
The POR-15 uses a 'cleaner' that dissolves the rust. Having used both the 'shake something around inside the take' and a chamical solution, my experience is that the chemical solution did a much better job. Oh - it'salso a LOT easier on the back and knees, for those of you

To back up POR-15s capabilities:
We've lived in our 29 foot motorhome for the last several years. When we bought it, the rust in the tanks was so bad it couldn't be driven. I had to  soak them in water for a few days to kill the fumes. Then cut small holes in the top and vacuum the loose rust out. The 35 gallon auxillary tank had over three inches of rust in the bottom. The 55 gallon main had a but less, but was encased in about a quarter inch of varnish - someone parked the unit with full tanks and it ALL evaporated.

Anyway, the POR-15 kit completely cleaned the tanks to white metal and sealed them. We've been running on these tanks for three years and never looked back.

I aso have to say that I don't think it will ever come loose from the inside of the tank. I accidentally got some on a 6 inch crescent wrench and didn't notice. I finally cleaned it up a week ago. I had to use a chisel and a file to clean it up enough to take it apart, then file all of the sealer out of the screw and jaw teeth. It wasn't easy.

I'm planning on using it in my jeep's tank and in my '51 'G' jerrycan when I get that far in my build.

Edited by LesBerg - 08 Sep. 2014 at 7:15pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
jeepjunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2014 at 1:23am
My "tanks" to you all.
If you will forgive the pun.

My Jeepi'n buddy & I will buy two of the products & give them a whack. Between the four cans, we will try to remember to send in a report in about 6. Months.
And thanks to all,
Jeep Junkie
jeepjunkie
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2014 at 3:53am
Ironic that I have JerryCan that I want to use this weekend  . . .    did a search on - > sealing the inside,  and there is a recent thread on that same subject. Smile   . . .  theCJ2Apage always delivers Big smile

Mine has some rust on inside,  nothing major,  but would like to preserve, to last a long time.

Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

The POR-15 uses a 'cleaner' that dissolves the rust. Having used both the 'shake something around inside the take' and a chamical solution, my experience is that the chemical solution did a much better job. Oh - it'salso a LOT easier on the back and knees, for those of you
. . .

I don't have the full POR "sealer kit",  but do have some POR "metal prep".   First, I used the "gravel shake" method to level the obvious rust (some people pay for a gym for a workout this strenuous LOL ),  and the "prep" to "convert" the resulting flat surface.  Most of the red rust has turned black, or a darker red.

To use this weekend,   I am going to fill with gasoline without the sealer.   It should not rust any further with a full tank.    Some day,  I will try the POR sealer. 

Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

. . .
I'm planning on using it in my jeep's tank and in my '51 'G' jerrycan when I get that far in my build.

What is a "51 G" jerrycan?   not to hijack the thread,  but I am somewhat happy to realize that this can I have had setting around for a while might actual be kinda old and original.

Markings = "G" and "US" stampted on one wide side 
Stamped on bottom:
ICC-5L
RADIO STEEL
20-5-51
10-52
M.C.C.

It is painted OD green,  and has stenciled on one narrow side what appears to be:
WP 47 AOP
Is that a unit number?

I am guessing this was made in 1952?   based on the 10-52,   anyone know?

hideandseek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hideandseek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2014 at 12:34pm
should be a 51! everything I have read is litres-gallons-year    20-5-51
radio steel also made the radio flyer during piece time.

cdn2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdn2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2014 at 3:22pm
I've used kreem and red kote. With all of these products the preparation is the key. POR-15 is also
a good product.

I'd also agree it's most likely a 1951 can.

Up here the "standard" is the NATO or plastic can. The US military cans are not so easy
to come by. I prefer the steel can's for storing gas, as the plastic cans are porous and allow
the volatiles out of the can, letting the gas spoil.

The steel ones are much better.

http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_jerry_can_markings.php
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>