Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: 11 Sep. 2014 at 9:57pm
I just got a 1946 CJ-2a and thought it would be a good idea to join the forum.  I will rely on all of your expertise as I begin the restoration process.

Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2014 at 10:12pm
There are a few of our members in Wisconsin. They will be happy to help,a long with rest of us, worldwide. Welcome.
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2014 at 10:14pm
Hi John, Welcome aboard. I just dropped by the forum to see if I was missing anything and I noticed that your "new member" post was already 8 minutes old. Everyone must be taking a nap Let me be the first to ask for PICTURES!! We love them. Get familiar with the search function and you are off and running - or if you are like me - you are off and not running but fixing a leaky wheel cylinder. Have fun
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2014 at 1:39am
Big welcome to another Cheeser!
Any help you need just ask and someone here will jump in.
Where did you pick yours up from? Wisconsin jeeps are usually pretty roached.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2014 at 2:52pm
I will pick up the old girl tomorrow and post pictures next week.  It's a VEC column shifter, and does have rust in the usual places.  So it's time to brush up on my TIG welding skills for the sheet metal replacements.  It is in original condition throughout and hasn't been molested, and I intend to keep it as original as possible.  I bought it from an enthusiast who decided to sell to make room.

But most importantly my wife is excited about the new arrival. 
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2014 at 3:03pm
Was it the one for sale in Brookfield?
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2014 at 3:30pm
Yes, that's the one.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2014 at 3:37pm
Welcome! It's Good to have another Midwesterner on Board. Lots of Help here. I know this forum has been an amazing source of info.to our rebuild. Sandusky
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2014 at 4:11pm
Nice score. That jeep looks like a winner. He put a lot of work into it and was well worth the price he was asking. I posted it in the auction section here on the forum. I was sorely tempted to get it myself...too many other projects....
Plans? Lots of folks would tell you to keep a survivor like that with the original patina but that's up to you. I have a pair of trailer queens but I have one that I will make mechanically perfect but will try to maintain some of the hard earned patina. Please enjoy driving it now. Don't be in too big of a hurry to tear it down. Please post some pics of your find and let us all know how it is as it sits.Thumbs Up
eat,sleep,jeep

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2014 at 3:11pm
At the very least I'll preserve it in it's current condition, with the exception of necessary safety and mechanical improvements.  However, I also said that about my Pinz but it ended up as a full restoration. 

I gave the Jeep a cursory tune-up yesterday and went for a spin, and it runs well.  The front floors are mostly gone, I've found a crack in the frame just back from the front bumper, and the radiator leaks.  I'll have no problem welding up the frame and can TIG weld in new floor pans.  Fortunately my neighbor was a mechanic and has a radiator pressure tester, so we can find the leak and repair it if possible.

My dog walked up to the Jeep Saturday after I got it into the barn, crawled into the back, and spends most of his time there.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
longmontgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longmontgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2014 at 4:19pm
Welcome! I'm an old time member who's looking to purchase a 49 2a as well... We may be going through the restoration process together! Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Emily   :)

'48 2a "Lefty" (WFB legacy)
DMillet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMillet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2014 at 5:34am
If the dog approves, it's a keeper.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2014 at 9:23am
Originally posted by DMillet DMillet wrote:

If the dog approves, it's a keeper.

X2!

You & Longmont Girl will have fun restoring +/or repairing your projects. Have fun. Ask lots of questions & post pictures please!

Thanks, Cpt logger.
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2014 at 12:51pm
Welcome John. Thats a good looking Jeep.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
birddog7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2014 at 3:26pm
Welcome!  Aboard  It look like good one to start with. Thanks for buying it, like Damar2yxr I was very tempted. Keep us posted.
Birddog
1945 CJ2A
1956 CJ3B
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1946 Bantam Trailer
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2014 at 11:05pm
Welcome!, nice looking 2A . I see your a Kubota tractor owner as well, many of them here also. have fun with your Jeep .

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2014 at 12:40am
Glad to have you as part of the cult...I am still chasing leaks in my jeep, if it isn't leaking it's empty. 
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2014 at 1:12am
John, any serial numbers at all?.  Looks like a goody and welcome to the column shift club.

Adrian
NZ
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>