Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oilslinger inside mainshaft bearing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 10:22pm
I would be more concerned about seepage around the front of the counter shaft than leaking through the felt seal of the original design if everything is installed properly. A full gasket for the front of the transmission to replace the small round one that seals the front bearing retainer would take care of any leakage around the counter shaft.  I don't know if it is because I am lucky or it is by good design and I think it is because of the good design that the few transmissions I have rebuilt hasn't leaked around the main drive gear.
  If you use a sealed bearing you don't have to take the seal off it toward the inside the transmission because sealed bearings are designed to last at least 1000 miles

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 11:09pm
If you have ever opened up a sealed bearing and seen the pathetic amount of grease thats in them from the factory you would be horrified.....I think it would make much more sense to utilize the oil available from the transmission....I will be removing the inside seal only when I fit mine.....

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

sealed bearings are designed to last at least 1000 miles

I'm sure they last way more than that.
I'm running a SKF sealed bearing with both seals in place. They aren't 'sealed' enough to keep warm gear oil out.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 11:45pm
I could ask you the same question. Have you noticed how many applications used in modern times that use sealed bearings like the front wheel hubs on most vehicles? I am just saying what the bearing co. are saying there bearings are designed for.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 12:32am
Adrian ...

I just phoned Jon Compton at Border Parts because I had a similar challenge and wanted to replace the felt seal.

Jon had showed me a bearing retainer machined to accept a proper up to date seal that fits the main shaft perfectly. No oil weeping now at all. Sitting on the desk in front of me and holding those felt seals in my hand.... Not a hard decision to spend the $35. USD on it.

If you'd like a picture I can try to round it up somewhere from my HD and send to you. It was a great piece of kit. He seems to find all the good quality USA made and hard to find bits.

Jon's number in San Diego is 619-461-0171. Ask for him and ask him anything....his brain is all Jeep .
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 1:21am
I have to agree with Bretto and WeeWilly.

According to the bearing manufacturer, the modern sealed bearing is designed to last in excess of 100,000 miles. Why would they put a seal on both sides if the bearing would be prone to failure if the seal isn't removed? No reputable bearing company would take that chance. I left the inner seal in place.   After fighting a leaky T-90, the extra insurance is appealing.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 4:04am
I found the pix I was looking for...

Like I said, a nice piece of kit !

Clicking on these pix will open up larger images ....

Edited by misterberry - 30 Oct. 2014 at 4:06am
James Berry

It's a "Lefty"....
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 9:33am
That's the best idea yet...better than all the other options in my book....

I will probably do the same to my input shaft.....

Thanks Misterberry.

Adrian
NZ
1973 Saab 96
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 11:30am
I've seen that seal mod before and think it's a great idea. I wonder if it compromises the bearing cover at all. There isn't a lot of material there to machine into.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 12:14pm
A thought: what about the thickness of the slinger on the shaft. If removed, it would add to endfloat. Maybe use both slinger and sealed one sided bearing. It's quite easy to just buy a correct size bearing at supply stores that sell all sizes and remove the inner seal. I think you can buy a bearing already one side sealed, but removing the plastic seal insert is simple. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
cdn2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdn2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 2:07pm
Misterberry, thats the best thing i've seen yet too....

You don't happen to know the part number for the seal do you?

Or have the dimensions that it was cut to?
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 3:52pm
After a good discussion on this thread I ended up buying a new sealed bearing from my local "hero". I also ended up with the felt washer from Walcks. However I do not understand how to install it. There is some 3/16" to compress with the three screws and  that is friction and quite a lot, will it work will it burn? see pics. Anyone tried this?

The distance 3/16 is difficult to see but it is there.

Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 5:15pm
With the sealed bearing there will be no oil to the felt seal, so, yes, it probably will burn up. It's not needed with the sealed bearing anyway.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2014 at 5:08am
I was told by someone to reduce the thickness of the felt seal by about half. One one side it had a paper layer or tape. 
I finally resolved myself to the idea of the different style of seal and its obvious (i felt) betterment. I don't have the particulars of the seal itself, but in the small possibility of an actual failure - the careful removal of the seal could be scoured for pertinent number. 
For $35 , I figure it was the best thing to be able pick it up and install it and have no challenges or concerns. Border Parts has 'em in stock as of Tuesday. 
I'll give him a call to see if I can wrest the part number of the seal for those who might want to cut their own bearing retainer to accept a new style seal. With that number you could find dimensional data. 

The only other fly in the ointment is the thinness in a original retainer. That would make folk's efforts for naught I fear.
James Berry

It's a "Lefty"....
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2014 at 7:55pm
James, I too feel the felt seal is too thick. Even oiled it adds friction quite a a lot.
I am a bit concerned as Novak shows the sealed front bearing and a set of spares including the felt seal. 
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 1:36am
Sten

When I heard back from Novaks they said although the seal was listed its no longer required with the sealed bearing.

I have asked Walcks to supply me one and then I will make the final choice as to exactly what I will fit once all the options are sitting on the workbench in front of me.

Adrian

1973 Saab 96
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 3:59am
Use the felt seal either way, it will at least keep crud out.
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 7:11am
I will cut the felt seal to half. Thanks everybody for great help.
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12