Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ouray Colorado group trail ride week 7-25-15 - Event Date: 25 July 2015 - 01 Aug. 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 12:59am
I hope you remembered to pick up your new gas tank Jeff! Love the photos and videos. We need to go to the cool Mill of previous posts .  It's pictured on a waterfall. Can't remember the name but it's drop dead beautiful.  John

Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Dave Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

I know here in our local Jeep club, the guy that rolled his Jeep last has to wear the cowbells.

That's funny. In my neck of the woods the last guy who tried to grow up has to wear truck nutz. ;)
[/QUOTE]

Edited by Dave Pete - 03 Aug. 2015 at 3:19pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 3:58pm
I forgot the tank again but I would not have time to mess with it before FCT anyway and thus way, u don't have to worry about rust

Thanks for the compliments on the video of Black Bear Pass. I watched it last night in 1080p on the big TV, and it is much better than YouTube.

The following I've written like an article so some of the pictures you have already seen.

Of all the trails we took, I was particularly impressed with Imogene. It just seemed like it had everything rolled up into one Pass. The summit was most impressive! We came up from Telluride. So we had a clear view of Black Bear and could see the steps and switchbacks from another angle. The mountain has an almost dark, ghostly look from Imogene where Imogene has a beautiful and inviting look from Black Bear, or that was my feeling anyway. They definitely had different personalities.

Going up the Ouray side of Black Bear, you felt like she had obstacles, like sentinels to guard the way up. Each one got a little tougher and tougher (none too tough obviously). What's different about Black Bear is that when you get to the top of the pass, you do not feel like you have reached the pinnacle knowing you still have not reached the famed steps.

Then you head down from the mountain and the road gets more and more rough as if she were saying "you reached the summit, but now it's my turn". You reach the road before the steps and see the sign indicating that it's one way and its your last chance to turn back, ... some added intimidation, but the height of it all is the view just above the steps:

This is simply beautiful ...... but there is more. When I watched the round fenders going down, I did feel some adrenaline. It is an impressive site. At this angle, you can't see the end of the steps. It looks like they just go right off the edge. I watched as Mike descened past Adios Curve and then it was my turn. Once I started towards the steps, I was fine. I had total confidence in BAM BAM. We just walked to, and down the steps

The intimidation had left me, but the impression of what I was seeing was very strong in my soul. From there on out, I saw many things that would have appeared dangerous, but now, my eyes were open, I had no fear, and danger turned to sensationalism. It's as if the mountain decided that BAM BAM and I had shown her our purpose and we became friends so she unlocked her secrets. Now, every cliff, every switchback, every view was "check this out, I wanna show you something". Ingram Falls, Imogene, Bridal Veil Falls, Telluride. What a treasure chest of jewels. You still have to navigate the switchbacks though so don't forget you're still a guest and the mountain deserves your respect.

At the start, you look at Bridal Veil from above, then you are even, finally you are at the bottom of the falls and you can witness her power. Most impressive!

No doubt, I will be back again but next time I will spend less time filming and more time looking and listening. Jeep ownership is a joy, but I mostly appreciate where the jeep takes me. Gen'l Willys introduced me to the Rockies and I have not been the same. I am addicted! This trip it was BAM BAM's turn to form the three way partnership, jeep, mountain, and me. It's like two brothers who have taken too long to come see their mother. Im just glad she is quick to forgive.

Couple things abou the trip.
There are parts of Imogene on the Ouray side that are steeper than the steps on Black Bear

I never used my brakes going down the steps and I never slipped but I should mention that my crawl ratio is 49:1 where
Wade has a stock ratio 37:1 and he did slip a little bit. You can see the difference in the video.

Breakdowns:
BAM BAM broke a transmission mount
Reagan had carburetor issue
Wade took on serious damage to rear cowbell.

Thanks for reading

Edited by jpet - 08 Aug. 2015 at 12:22am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Dave Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 4:35pm
Great descriptive writing. :)
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 7:33pm
"Wade took on serious damage to rear cowbell"   LOL
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by ricco79 ricco79 wrote:

"Wade took on serious damage to rear cowbell"   LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roC2OVALqp0
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 9:04pm
Here is some footage from the Ouray Side of Black Bear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fya3v8Ph94c

This video has some fantastic views.

Edited by jpet - 03 Aug. 2015 at 9:11pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 9:17pm

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 9:26pm
...... More shots of Imogene:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Carsandguns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carsandguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2015 at 3:08pm
It was an awesome trip. I will post some pictures when I get them downloaded.
I agree with Jeff Imogene was an incredible run. So many things to see but yet with the edge of the mountain right there to reach out and grab if your not giving it the respect it deserves.

I had my wife and two boys which was awesome - but next year I hope I can trade off riding and driving with some of the other guys so I can do more looking and less sweating!   No way in hell I would ride with my wife down any of those trails! Lol

Also hope to have my flatty there next year but that also will bring a whole new level of excitement. It was challenging in my lifted Rubicon - a stock flat fender without fuel injection, big tires, front / rear lockers, 4 wheel disk brakes takes it to a whole new level of fun.   

kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2015 at 7:34pm
Nothing there left me or around feeling overly challenged. Kinda had hoped to finally get to use the winch, but never even got close to needing it. The mountains in the ouray area will truly give you a religious experience. It was great!
So many projects and so little time.
Carsandguns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carsandguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2015 at 8:20pm
Steve, you should have gone with us Friday and you could have winched me out of the snowbank. 😁

SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2015 at 12:22pm
Jpet, your photo and video postings are always very nice.
I really appreciate the effort you put into these posts.
Your text and voice narratives are helpful as well as entertaining.
Thank you very much for not ruining the sound track by adding "music".
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2015 at 1:05pm
Kansascat,
If your wanting a challenge try "Holy Cross"  here`s a link:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=11 You might have to break out the ole winch on this one.

Dennis
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2015 at 5:37am
In the picture where jeff says me and my group were coming down black bear pass and was at the pump house...if you enlarge and look close, you can see us. We had just went around the 5th switchback visible in the pic and had stopped to enjoy the view. There were 5 of us lined up there. I was 2nd in the group in Wilbur. What a incredible trail, and one item more on my bucket list to cross off.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2015 at 11:00am
Hey Kansascat, you got any awesome pics to share?

FYI, I had a baofeng radio. I'm not sure what Mike had but it was a ham radio. We were in Telliride when Kasascats group was at the top of the steps and we were talking to each other clearly. I had my radio set to 1 watt With the longer antenna.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2015 at 7:54pm
Jpet,what model radio do you have?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2015 at 11:46pm
Baofeng UV-5R With a Nagoya NA-771 antenna.

I was actually just coming into the other side of Telluride from Ophir when Mike told me you guys were at the steps. I'm not sure how far away that was but it seems like quite a distance :). He was able to hear my transmission at 1 watt.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>