Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TightSteer video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2014 at 11:25pm
Gents… Glad you are all looking into the grease vs oil issue for your Ross steering boxes. 80w/140 oil is really important for these boxes - NOT grease. Grease cannot not flow down around the sector shaft bushings, and without it the bushings will wear badly, and grease cannot flow up and around the upper steering shaft bearing as oil can. Please also note that the lower two coverplate bolts get copper washers (because they go into the steering box's oil chamber, and without them you'll have leaks). If you have a zerk fitting on the box, remove it and replace it with a brass 1/8" NPT pipe plug. These boxes, while very simple in design, can be made to work really well. …R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2014 at 12:46am
Originally posted by JeepRoger JeepRoger wrote:

Gents… Glad you are all looking into the grease vs oil issue for your Ross steering boxes. 80w/140 oil is really important for these boxes - NOT grease. Grease cannot not flow down around the sector shaft bushings, and without it the bushings will wear badly, and grease cannot flow up and around the upper steering shaft bearing as oil can. Please also note that the lower two coverplate bolts get copper washers (because they go into the steering box's oil chamber, and without them you'll have leaks). If you have a zerk fitting on the box, remove it and replace it with a brass 1/8" NPT pipe plug. These boxes, while very simple in design, can be made to work really well. …R

I'll have to do this and order a TightSteer. Clap
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 8:37pm
I got my tightSteer today and it really is a neat thing. I will have to wait until it gets warmer before I put it on. Hopefully I don't have to pull the fender because I have several things attached to the fender. I want to think more about getting the grease out of the box. Might just try and pull the cover off without taking the fender off or adding oil to thin the grease but I can see the mess this is going to make and I am thinking what might happen to the seal around the sector shaft with blowing air into the box. I am one of those guys that if a little air pressure works a little more would be better. I let you know how things work when I install the tightsteer.

Pat
Grey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Pat T. Pat T. wrote:

I got my tightSteer today and it really is a neat thing. I will have to wait until it gets warmer before I put it on. Hopefully I don't have to pull the fender because I have several things attached to the fender. I want to think more about getting the grease out of the box. Might just try and pull the cover off without taking the fender off or adding oil to thin the grease but I can see the mess this is going to make and I am thinking what might happen to the seal around the sector shaft with blowing air into the box. I am one of those guys that if a little air pressure works a little more would be better. I let you know how things work when I install the tightsteer.

Pat

I just cleaned out my steering box last weekend.  Its a new-to-me '47 so I opened it while expecting the worst.  To my surprise it was filled with a knuckle pudding type oil/grease.  Not the best but not the worst either.  I just took the side cover off of it without removing the fender.  No big deal.  Scooped out as much grease pudding I could with rags, etc and re filled with oil.  No air, no other disassembly required
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 2:14am
That sounds like the way I HOPE works for me. I will give that I try

Thanks
Pat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12