Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 12:21pm
Is the control tube right-way-around?   Short arm to frame side, long arm to transmission side?  It can be installed backwards.

Sean
sudsie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 3:30pm

Yes the z bar is in right , to me the throw out bearing is coming out far enough as the return spring is really stretched. To me it looks like the clutch fingers are not close enough, but how can that be?
TOM R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOM R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2007 at 8:57pm
pics would help here
for mg42 talk goto www.mg42.us
46 CJ2A
T24/m29 WEASEL
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
my project http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=7008
Odd Fire Six View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odd Fire Six Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2007 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Ridgerunner Ridgerunner wrote:

Guys, I also have run into the diffrent lenth clutch control rod issue. I'm just not clear on which vehicle gets what lenth rod. This was the item I need to verify. In the past I've changed many clutches. MB's, CJ2's, 3A's, M38's and A1's. And all related parts. I've fixed them in the field and even made one up out of a piece of chain one time. I just can't get clear which lenth for what jeep. I know we can cure Sudsies problem I just need for my own head to know what is correct. Thanks, R-

I ran into the same problem when I put the correct trans in my 46.
When purchased, it had a T84 (wrong trans), so the first winter tear down, out went the old, and in went the new T90 (correct trans).
The problem was the transmissions are diffrent lengths, thus the diffrent length clutch rod.
Doug S.
I'd Rather Be Riding Than Pushing
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2007 at 9:03pm
Seems to me that the last time I changed my clutch, I had to change the length of the control rod.  Not sure why perhaps it was a different clutch manufacturer? 
Jeff
ord.sgt.26NC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ord.sgt.26NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2007 at 6:22pm
years ago I had a simular problem when I installed a new clutch and pressure plate in my M38.You need to adjust your clutch fingers to engage correctly.It winds up being page d-3 in my cj2 service manual .Somebody should have it on their pc to share.

sudsie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2007 at 10:55am

We checked the clutch fingers and they where ok, I think the clutch cable is to long, so i will try a shorter one. thanks for the reply.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12