Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch Thrust bearing return spring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch Thrust bearing return spring
    Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 8:07pm
I am just sorting out a box of bits and I see that my clutch  thrust bearing carrier has no provision for the small return spring, but it does have two retainers clips that hold the clutch fork to the carrier?

As they are linked I guess that the external return spring would pull the thrust bearing away from the pressure plate anyway negating the need for the spring that goes from the bearing retainer to the thrust bearing carrier??

The manual shows a small tab cast into the side of the carrier, drilled to act as a anchor for the spring but I am guessing that my one is a later type and does not need it.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

One of my staff has an MB and he thinks that his does not have the two wire clips, so it does rely on the spring to pull the fork back

Thanks

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 1:25am
If the spring isn't installed you run the risk of the clutch cable popping off the throwout arm and the throwout bearing not fully retracting.

Edited by rocketeer - 19 Dec. 2014 at 1:28am
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 1:32am
I don't know if this is any help...these are from my 3a, but neither have provision for clips to hold the fork to the carrier, but as you can see both have the spring attach point.

The one on the right is the original, which is what I eventually used as the other stretched the spring too far.... 

Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 1:43am
Originally posted by 1955cj5 1955cj5 wrote:

I don't know if this is any help...these are from my 3a, but neither have provision for clips to hold the fork to the carrier, but as you can see both have the spring attach point.

The one on the right is the original, which is what I eventually used as the other stretched the spring too far.... 

I just finished rebuilding the transmission/ transfer case and replacing the clutch in my 2A. This is exactly how my original, and replacement parts looked. I actually had to grind the corner off of the tab for the spring on the new part because it just touched the bearing itself. My original spring was worn about half way through the wire where it hooks on, so I went to the hardware store and got a slightly longer spring that "felt right". 
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 2:06am
DeBella carries NOS springs.

http://www.debellajeepparts.com/CJ2clutch.htm

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 2:17am
Ok, this is still a mystery, I'm guessing the gearbox is a later model one as I recently found out my TC also was, around 1955 on I think, it has the bigger intermediate shaft.

The bearing retainer does not have the tab either, but has another pivot ball type boss on the opp side, it has a hole through the side that could be used to clip a spring into...

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 2:29am
The gearbox's often have the cast date on the side. On mine it was just above the side shift casting, on a cast "tag" with the screw slots and all.....you may learn something there....

You can just see the 10-17-50 date in this photo...

Edited by 1955cj5 - 19 Dec. 2014 at 2:34am
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

Ok, this is still a mystery, I'm guessing the gearbox is a later model one as I recently found out my TC also was, around 1955 on I think, it has the bigger intermediate shaft.

The bearing retainer does not have the tab either, but has another pivot ball type boss on the opp side, it has a hole through the side that could be used to clip a spring into...

Adrian

Is it right hand drive?
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 4:40am
Its LH drive, quite original apart from the transfer case and maybe the gearbox....its all original parts and it all matches, but its just different in design from the book, perhaps its M38?

The thrust bearing carrier has two wire clips that hold the fork in place, if th efork moves either forward or back the thrust carrier goes with it.

As mentioned in an earlier reply there is also no "tab" on the gearbox bearing retainer so there is simply nothing to fit the spring onto......as in its not needed?????

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 5:26am
The gearbox date is 10-30-45 so its an early casing that I am using for the column shift but all the internal parts came out of a casing with the date or mark J16%0, I'm not kidding thats whats on it?.

Both casings are T90-A1 marked and so far everything has swapped over ok, just the mystery clutch bearing carrier to sort out.

Photos to follow in a few minutes.

Adrian

1973 Saab 96
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 3:17pm
I've never seen clips like that on a CJ2A or CJ3A but even with the clips there's nothing to pull the throwout bearing backwards to maintain tension on the clutch cable. If it were me I'd get a CJ2A bearing, carrier, & clutch fork, toss those others out, and install the spring. The clips aren't needed. Is there a flat spot on that carrier that looks like something was ground off? Visible in the first photo above.

OK, found the clips and the carrier. Dodge flathead 6 cyl. Also a company called Centerforce sells them as aftermarket replacements on Amazon for much newer jeeps and other vehicles. Compare your carrier to the correct style below.

Edited by rocketeer - 19 Dec. 2014 at 3:38pm
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 6:25pm
Ok, thanks for that, it came with it when I got it but I never drove it as the gearbox was sitting in the tub.

I had been used by the PO....so did work, but a bit bubba-ishBig smile

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 11:51pm
Ok, found the carrier and spring here, bit late for post from the US now....should have it early next week.

Thank again to everybody and Merry Xmas

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply