Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ma 46 rebuild 2nd pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ma 46 rebuild 2nd pics
    Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 7:35pm
Good afternoon 2A'ers.  This is my first attempt at posting on the site so I hope all goes well.  Here's the first few pics one year into the rebuild with some introductory text at the end.  I have more pics to follow in subsequent postings if this works.  Here goes....

don

This is my first post on the CJ2A website.  I have been a member of the CJ3B website since 2009 when I purchased and rebuilt my 1960 that you will see in the background of a couple of my photos.  A lifetime dream fulfilled.  I have owned Jeeps consecutively since 1980 when I bought a new CJ7 with a relocation bonus from work.  I wasn't planning on doing another, however, couldn't pass up the opportunity to acquire a 1946 CJ2A on the advice and keen eye of Gary McCourt, a good friend living just down the road in Ancaster Ontario, who has a few Jeep rebuilds of his own underway.  It is S/N 59232, has all of its original major components based on the various tags and cross referenced to the excellent spreadsheet on this website.  The guy I purchased it from, provided me with an Affidavit from the family of the original owner, now deceased, who passed it on to his son, now deceased.  After some 67 years in the same family, the daughter-in-law of the original owner sold it to a guy, who sold it to me all in a matter of months.  Unbelievably, it has never been licensed!  Therefore, never seen salt and very little frame corrosion as a result.  It was used as a farm vehicle with a PTO to run the saw for cutting logs.  It was in running condition, no brakes, although I learned on tear down that the block was cracked.  Fortunately, stitching appears to be successful.  In the initial picture, you will see my son driving, a proud owner of 2 Grand Cherokee's.  It's been a year since purchasing and I am beginning re-assembly, which should move along quicker now that I just retired.  I got her back on her feet last week as you will see in the pics.  Yes, it is a "her" to be named in recognition of my mother - "Ma 46".  The 3B is named in recognition of my father - "Wally 60", both deceased but never forgotten.  Leave it to Jeep to provide the forum for my recognition and appreciation of them.  Well, that's all for  now.  We'll keep you posted periodically.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 7:44pm
Nice! One sure can tell that Ma was a working jeep.  You probably needed a dump truck to cart off all that oily mud caked on the gearboxes. I love it!  
This Jeep disease is pretty much incurable.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
janet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 10:21pm

Hello there, it's me again.  I posted earlier today for the first time on the CJ2A Bulletin Board under the heading "Ma 46" rebuild with an introduction and a first batch of pics.  This second lot brings me up to date other than my rebuild buddy Gary and I set the engine in place today.

I think there is a suggested limit of 500kb per mailing and this probably over 1,000kb so we will also have to see how this transmits.

Also, I posted the first lot in the Jeep Story section and this lot to the Project update section, so if this transmits and the moderator is able and willing, I am wondering if it is possible to have you combine the two submissions into one.

don

Zuma58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 1:00am
You have done more in a small amount of time than I have in years. It is looking good!!

Nice Job! Keep the pics coming!
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 1:27am
looks good.
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 11:13pm
Hi Don

Wow....you are doing a great job so far...

MikeC
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2014 at 3:54am
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly you guys make major progress. That is some major frame repair and well done.It motivates me to finish mine.
Thanks
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2014 at 6:30am
Originally posted by a4cj2a77 a4cj2a77 wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly you guys make major progress. That is some major frame repair and well done.It motivates me to finish mine.
Thanks

I have say it's determination to do it. also it's a passion for some as well. I did mine so quickly because I wanted to drive it. it was fun and a great learning experience.

I have some serious frame work to do on mine since it was BUBBA'd badly with the Saginaw box and the heavy front bumper I had to cut off.

parts will be on the way this week to do the work.
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
willys522000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys522000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2014 at 8:22pm
Who's the Lad doing the welding?  I have welded for 35 years and it looks mighty good to me.

Brett.
janet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2014 at 10:51pm
Hi there Brett, sorry for the delay in my response.   The "lad" is my son Brett.  He's self taught on Mig using the internet.  I guess there may be some good use for technology after all.  He provided me with some instruction then turned me loose, although, you don't get to see my welds.  Thanks for the interest in my post.  I'll send some more pics in a while.  I would like to have a running chassis by spring, however, no rush.  I promised myself upon retirement that right would take precedent over fast.  don
 Post Reply Post Reply