Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

un assembly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IOPort51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: un assembly
    Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 3:18pm
Contemplating the removal of the body on a 2a. The steering column will have to be removed, what is best procedure? will the wheel need to be removed and the column removed from the bottom or will the Ross box come up through the floorboard hole?
friends call me IO.

owned by a 1946 CJ2a

you asked for an opinion, this is it.
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 3:27pm
The two that I have removed I took off the steering wheel and also removed the tube that goes down to the steering box that way it gives a little more room when taking the steering box out without taking out the shaft. You may have a trouble getting the steering wheel off , but their are several threads how different members got the steering wheel removed.

Pat
IOPort51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IOPort51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 4:01pm
did you lift the body off the column or drop the column to remove it before lifting the body???
friends call me IO.

owned by a 1946 CJ2a

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 4:31pm
IO,
I have done it both ways. If you're removing the tub for reasons other than access to the steering box, I would pull the steering wheel, grab a few buddies or a tractor, and lift the tub off with the steering shaft in place. Tub weighs around 250 lbs. or so.

If you just want to to service the gear box with no tub removal, you can follow Pats direction. I would add... You would remove the steering box and shaft down and out of the Willys. It a little tricky. I removed the fender and had to twist, shift and turn the steering assembly to get it out, then back in. I did not remove the steering tube first. If I would have, I probably wouldn't have scratched the paint finish as much.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
IOPort51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IOPort51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 4:41pm
I am thinking about a total tear down so the tub off and the motor/trans out and the Ross box on the bench. Seems easier to pull tub with out the column in the way. I guess I could unbolt the box and linkage and pull the tub with column still mounted, then remove it when the tub is on it's side?

I guess the big question was will the Ross box come out through the hole in the floor, at this point I would guess the answer is no?
friends call me IO.

owned by a 1946 CJ2a

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 5:09pm
It will not come up through the floor on a stock  2a or 3A. If you remove the LF fender, steering wheel, disconnect the draglink (and leave the arm on the box), horn wire, 3 bolts through the frame, outer column tube, you can flop it up and over the frame rail and pull it down through the floor. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
IOPort51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IOPort51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 11:53pm
Thank you gents.

another question please, Do 1947 2a's not have turn signals? I see none on the diagrams.Smile
friends call me IO.

owned by a 1946 CJ2a

GARGOYLEJEEPER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARGOYLEJEEPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2014 at 12:06am
Non, only DS tail/brake light. You will have to get a Signal-Stat turn signal switch, another tail/brake light and mod the front lights.
1948 CJ-2A 232505

Just trying to fix the world one Jeep at a time.
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2014 at 5:04am
I found this helpful when I took my Ross Box out to rebuild it.
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
 Post Reply Post Reply