Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel backspace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel backspace
    Posted: 18 Jan. 2015 at 5:44am
I've searched, but haven't found a definitive answer...What is the backspace on a stock 16" wheel for a CJ2A? 
 The Jeep has 15X5.5 wheels on it, but they aren't stock. They have 3 3/4" back space. I currently have 235/75R15 tires on it. 
I have a set of stock 16X6 wheels off of a '63 Gladiator, with 4 1/2" back space and have ordered a set of 215/85R16 tires for it. I already have some rubbing at the front tires on the leaf springs when turning hard. I'm afraid the 4 1/2" back space 16's will be too much back space and will rub worse than what I have now even though the new tires will be narrower. I'm also worried that it's going to look silly with the tires set in too far. 
Anyone know the back space on the stock 16's? Thanks!
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2015 at 6:18am
Never mind, I think I found my answer
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj2a-wheels_topic1294_page1.html

I might have to put some 1.5" wheel spacers on it and see how it looks.
48 CJ2A Lefty
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2015 at 6:19am
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/topic34114_post318884.html#318884

48 CJ2A Lefty
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2015 at 7:29am
Patrick your talking to yourself again!!! LOL

back spacing is one of those mysteries that sometime you just have to mount up a wheel and see how it turns. I have made profile cutouts from foam board to show where a tire and wheel combo will fit inside a cars fender well.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2015 at 4:00pm
Yeah, I know. I'm impatient. Tires will be here tomorrow.
48 CJ2A Lefty
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2015 at 5:22am
If your getting your tires into the front springs just adjust the steering bump stops on the back of each knuckle so they do not contact the springs. You have already lost some turning radius and this will just help with keeping the tires from getting chewed up on the springs. It is a real simple process and helps to jack up the front end and get a friend to turn the steering wheel from lock the lock while you adjust the bolts out and reset the locking nut. 
Also you have to remember when figuring backspacing you have to also take into account the offset of the wheel. This video is really informative and if you google backspacing and offset conversion calculators there are a few nice ones on the web to help.

Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2015 at 4:54pm
Yes, thanks. I know I can adjust the steering stops. Wheel offset really has no bearing in this situation; it's all bout back space and tire width. I'm not afraid to loose a little turning radius, but I don't want it to look goofy with the wheels set in too much. I'll probably end up with 1" wheel spacers. That'll put me just about 1/8" out more than stock 16's and scrub radius will still be acceptable. 
48 CJ2A Lefty
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 4:33am
Here it is with the Gladiator wheels, 4 1/2"back space, and 1 1/2" wheel spacers. 215/85R16 Dynapro MT's. I've ordered 1" spacers because I think they sit out a bit too much. Love the tires.

Never mind..Got to figure out how to post pics here..

Edited by Patrick H - 20 Jan. 2015 at 4:36am
48 CJ2A Lefty
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 4:44am
48 CJ2A Lefty
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 4:55am
48 CJ2A Lefty
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 5:22am
That looks pretty good, I like the tires to be flush with the body. 15x6 CJ5 wheels have a 4" backspacing, and with 32 x 9.50 tires rub-a-plenty on the springs in my jeep. May have to get some spacers also.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 5:26am
They stick out a bit, but I think 1" spacers will look good. I had these 1 1/2" spacers left over from my CJ5's. I had 4 Kaiser era CJ5's, one for over 15 years...
48 CJ2A Lefty
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2015 at 6:52am
Heck I think it looks great now!!! Very Nice!
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2015 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Tin Badge Tin Badge wrote:

Heck I think it looks great now!!! Very Nice!

Thanks! I've actually been eyeballing your Jeep :) I think if you saw it in person you'd agree that 1/2" less wheel spacer would be better..I'll find out in a few days when they get here..
48 CJ2A Lefty
Thorholt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorholt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 1:16am
That is a very nice tire wheel combo Patrick! Can I ask you where you bought your tires? And do you think they will fit the stock 48 CJ2a 16" rims ok? I just got the jeep today and the fronts don't hold air so tires are the first on my to-do list so I can at least move it around with out airing the tires up every time, Thanks!
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 3:25am
Discount Tire. They also have free shipping, and I mount and balance them myself so I don't have to pay for that.;)
They'll fit the stock wheels just fine. They are about an inch narrower than my wheels, but they will be fine.
48 CJ2A Lefty
Thorholt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorholt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 3:37am
Thanks for the info!
 Post Reply Post Reply