Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing Angle of Steering Column

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing Angle of Steering Column
    Posted: 30 Jan. 2015 at 5:50am
Thought I'd try to change the angle of the steering column a little.  A quick bit of background.  This is an MD Juan tub on a fairly late '48 2A.  Not much of the original Jeep was left, so a we're really not sacrificing much old Toledo iron. 
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2015 at 5:59am
Here are the before pictures showing "knuckle clearance" to where I think the windshield glass will be, the distance to the seat bottom (legroom) and distance to the seat back (belly room)
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2015 at 6:02am
And here are the after shots.  Seat is just sitting on an old CJ5 gas tank with 2" of foam, but it is in the same place for all of the pics.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2015 at 9:46am
Have you considered the possibility that changing the angle of the column will increase wear in the steering box?
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2015 at 11:29am
Originally posted by scoutpilot scoutpilot wrote:

Have you considered the possibility that changing the angle of the column will increase wear in the steering box?

How so?  Not trying to be disagreeable, just curious.  The Ross body is cast with adjustment slots from the factory.  I wouldn't think the small adjustment angle at the box end would change the geometry enough to cause a problem.  Sure the pitman arm and sector shaft union would be moved up but not all that much and it doesn't change the way they operate.  With different tolerances, they had to have some adjustment.
Maybe I'm missing something.

Brett

Edited by bretto - 30 Jan. 2015 at 11:51am
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2015 at 11:56am
I was just thinking that care must be taken in setting the column angle and considering the geometry. Yes, some adjustment is possible. Just don't want to see it being forced into a position that would create more wear on the worm gear and sector shaft. Just food for thought.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2015 at 1:27pm
Shouldn't be a problem, just loosen the bolts at the frame and tighten the dash bracket first then the frame bolts. If the box is shimmed at the frame make sure none fall out when you loosen those bolts. That small change at the top isn't going to mean much down at the box.
GARGOYLEJEEPER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARGOYLEJEEPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 4:23am
Adjust as far as the slots allow and pop off the arm - center the wheel and put arm back on. A couple more ways (to get more room) are loose weightLOL, compress your bodyOuch, decrease seat cushionUnhappy, notch and flip wheel house from driver side to passenger side & move seat backThumbs Up or stretch the Jeep. Big smile
1948 CJ-2A 232505

Just trying to fix the world one Jeep at a time.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by GARGOYLEJEEPER GARGOYLEJEEPER wrote:

Adjust as far as the slots allow and pop off the arm - center the wheel and put arm back on. A couple more ways (to get more room) are loose weightLOL, compress your bodyOuch, decrease seat cushionUnhappy, notch and flip wheel house from driver side to passenger side & move seat backThumbs Up or stretch the Jeep. Big smile

I'm trying to do most all of them!  Trying to lose weight, but my wife is a pretty good cook, Body compression only lasts for so long, and then I can't steer anymore, tried to find the thinnest seat cushions in a relatively cheap seat that still looks like it belongs, this is a 3A tub, so there really isn't a lot of room to cut and flip the wheel wells without interfering with the rear tire upon compression and stretching the Jeep is more work than I want to get in to.
But thanks for the suggestions.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Post Reply Post Reply