Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at a new welder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueBaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at a new welder
    Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 6:29pm
Just looking at getting a Hobart 140 mig / fluxcore machine for $500. They have it on sale at tractor supply.
I have a Lincoln weld pac now and I think its rated at 90 amps. I just need a little more snot.
A friend has a 220 stick so I am covered with the thick stuff.
Anyone have any thoughts?
I figure the 140 still plugs into 110 outlet and the chief financial officer wouldn't detect the $500 out of the jeep fund stash.
Any good or bad with this unit?
-Dave
CJ-3A 1953
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 6:33pm
I got a new welder his name is Larry,  Larrys coming by soon to do all my frame and chassis related welding. He even cleans up after himself.

all joking aside not learning to weld and not having that capability in my shop where I can do almost anything else. Was a serious life choice mistake.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I got a new welder his name is Larry,  Larrys coming by soon to do all my frame and chassis related welding. He even cleans up after himself.

all joking aside not learning to weld and not having that capability in my shop where I can do almost anything else. Was a serious life choice mistake.

Shoot Mark,ain't never to late to learn.You might be pleasantly surprised,you may be a natural.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 7:07pm
Ive got a Lincoln 140 welder and it does most everything I need.  You will need to figure in some additional funds however.  You may have to buy the kit to convert it from flux to gas.  (hoses, gauges, etc.)  also figure in the price of a small bottle of mix gas.  Once you get it you might as well figure in some material to build a rolling cart for it.  (you can buy one but heck you just bought a welder, build one!)
aalbury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aalbury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 7:56pm
I just got the same Hobart 140 from NorthernTool.  I think I paid $449 to my door.  It comes with hoses and a regulator for adding gas, you just need the bottle.

I have been playing with the flux core wire, as I have only worked with gas in my father in laws shop.  I will be picking up a gas bottle before I start going after the sheet metal work I have planned.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Ryan_289 Ryan_289 wrote:

Ive got a Lincoln 140 welder and it does most everything I need.  You will need to figure in some additional funds however.  You may have to buy the kit to convert it from flux to gas.  (hoses, gauges, etc.)  also figure in the price of a small bottle of mix gas.  Once you get it you might as well figure in some material to build a rolling cart for it.  (you can buy one but heck you just bought a welder, build one!)

Not to hijack the thread. But your right. Only thing is I know I have such limited use for a welder that by the time I learned to use it the only real project I'll have for it will be done.

And Larry works for Beer! Granted this time its going to be about 50 bucks worth of beer but his work is like art. So I really don't mind.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 8:41pm
I have a Millermatic 140. Awesome! You should see it blowing holes in the aged sheet metal of my 2A!!Thumbs Up

I got mine free, but rolled a few bills off the stash for cart, helmet, wire, gas, etc. I have never tried the flux core mode, just MIG.

I am older than Mark W, and I can learn to weld...
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
tomahawk715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 9:01pm
Consider all you will be doing with the machine then see what each offers--when you figure out the one you think meets your needs-save and buy the next model up

You want the bottle for sure. So much nicer welds.

I'm not fond of structural with 110 machine unless your an experienced welder. I use my old Lincoln buzz box (stick) when I weld thick metals. They are pretty cheap used. Look for an older one that has copper windings
If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong???
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 9:37pm

[/QUOTE]

And Larry works for Beer!
[/QUOTE]
The new "coin of the realm"!! Who needs green paper with pictures of dead presidents anyway!!Beer
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
hideandseek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hideandseek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 10:29pm
get you some 1" copper tubing and flatten it and use that as a backer on your sheet metal  it will prevent burn thru.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 11:04pm
Mark, you my be making a wise choice.

Once you buy a welder & learn to use it, you will find many welding projects. Doing it your way, you get to spend time with your welding buddy. You also get to drink some of his beer! You have more time to spend on the CJ. Win, win, win.
drandlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drandlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2015 at 11:15pm
I've had the Hobart 140 for several years, great machine. I'd prefer power of a 220v unit, but never have good access. Hoping to find the 210 MVP on CL locally.

Mine (guess all) has a sticker on the top for a 800 tech support, called it when I was having trouble... 3 rings and a real live person picked up the phone! 10 minutes later I was burning more metal.

Flux core does a good job on dirty metal, even burns through HDG without much effort. But as others have said, the gas is a must.

Seem to find all sorts of uses. Amazing what you think of once you have it.
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 1:32am
I have a Hobart 140 that was given to me for my birthday by the wife. Great machine. I knew nothing about welding before I bought it and don't know a whole lot yet, but seems to do everything I've ever asked of it, consisting mostly of sheet metal work. Mine came from Rural King. Got the bottle gas there too.
Carsandguns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carsandguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 2:28am
I bought the Hobert 210mvp. It will run on 110v & 220v. Been really happy with it so far.
I have used it 3 nights this week working on my floor boards that I hope to finish this weekend.

BlueBaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueBaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 2:03pm
Thanks Guys. I think I'm going to pick it up this weekend. The reviews on the Hobart 140 are real good. Made in the USA it says too. You cant beat this forum.
Tell Larry I have some PBRs ready for some welding in the barn.
-Dave
CJ-3A 1953
hideandseek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hideandseek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 4:07pm
www.weldingweb.com
lots of info and ideas!
OldJeepBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 1:51am
Forget about the welder; I want to know more about a wife who would give it to you!!
REPS
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 3:02pm
I have a Clarke 130 amp. I love it, but there is room for improvement. I wish it had a dial for heat instead of only 4 selections. I wish I could take it down to 10 amps and have infinite adjustment all the way up to 130 amps.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>