Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FIRE EXTINGUISHER - WHERE ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FIRE EXTINGUISHER - WHERE ?
    Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 2:36pm
Hi,
in the Parts Manual, Group 35 (Special Equipment and Accessories) is included the Fire Extinguisher
(Group 35-47).
My question is: WHERE EXACTLY the WO company suggested fix it in the CJ-2A bodies ?
Some one has some information about this ?
The logical place would be between the 2 front seats, but as Mb/GPW had it in the interior left side of the body
I donĀ“t know which could be the right place according original ideas.
Your opinion/comment will be appreciate.  
Cheers

CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 3:58pm
I mostly see them on the back side of the front fender on the drivers side...just above the little step.

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 4:19pm
Pass side kick make a bracket that hangs off the body support.

or under dash (3b works better for this.)

mine sits between the seats because I'm lazy.Wink
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 5:10pm
Tks.
both mentioned places could be good.
Cheers,
CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
Does10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Does10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 6:22pm
I have a little extengisher between the drivers seat and the tub sidewall attached to the front facing portion of the rear wheel tub.

So far my left elbow hasn't hit it yet!

Will
'48 Willy's CJ-2A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 9:03pm
If you do a Google image search for "Willys Fire Extinguisher" the most common mounting on Military Jeeps is either the left fender slope above the step or the right kick panel on the body brace. With a couple pictures of it on the drivers side in the same spot.

Civilian appears to be between the seats, to the left of the drivers seat, Right Kick Panel and roll bar mount behind the drivers seat.

Personally I will be mounting one on the inside of the right side roll bar where it can be reached from the drivers seat and another one on the left side of the drivers seat where it is easy to get to when outside the jeep.

Both will be 2.5lb Dry Chem with a B C rating by UL labs.

Be sure to shake your extinguisher once a month inverting it repeatedly in the process to keep the chemical from caking in the bottom of the bottle (mandatory on the school busses I used to drive).

Make sure the mount is secure and accessible. And that you have them tested based on the tag.

I will be spending the little extra to buy mine from an actual fire extinguisher company that also services them. Its cheap insurance when a simple back fire can burn up thousands of dollars and man hours of work.

YMMV

Mark W. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2015 at 3:02am
I do not know the 'correct' place to mount it, but it seems that within easy reach of the driver makes the most sense. I'm thinking maybe from the bottom of the e-brake brace under the dash? Out of the way, but handy.

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply