Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New owner 1946 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 3:31pm
Hi Dan,
On photos...For me, I have found the easiest approach to posting photos is to use a free photo hosting site.  I use PhotoBucket, but there are a number of others to choose from.  You will find a number of topics discussing this in the forum 'how to' section down toward the bottom of the Home Screen on the 2A Page.  Here is the link to Photobucket.  http://photobucket.com/

Sign up.  Upload photos from your computer. Click on one of your photos.  Click on the IMG code toward the right side of the page. This will copy your photo.  Go to your post here at the 2A.  Paste your photo.  Done.  Pretty easy this way.  This approach will allow you to add as many photos as you like...in the same post. 

Ignition switch...These are very easy to replace on a Willys, but we need to know what you currently have.  It is unlikely to have the original set up, but we need a starting point.   

This is where your ability to furnish photos will come in extremely handy, so master this first. 

I don't know your comfort level, but I would definitely encourage you to give the ignition switch swap a try. 

On your drive train... I started with no automobile mechanical skills whatsoever.  Forums like this made it incredibly easy for me to learn.  You will be amazed at what you can accomplish on your own.  My point...Your "default" can be to try the repairs yourself.  These are very fun and rewarding to work on.  If I can do this, you can do this. 

Tim 

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
DansCJ2A46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 3:49pm
Great advise. I will go to photobucket. As far as the technical repairs. I would love to dig in them myself and seek advise from friends if I can't figure it out. Only in an extreme case would I like to know a pro and I think I have already met several of you here. Master the photo upload, got it!
1946 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 4:44pm

1946 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 4:49pm

1946 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 4:52pm

1946 CJ2A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 6:07pm
Before you start it since the water temp gauge is missing be sure the hold in the right side of the head that the gauge sending unit fits in is closed off with either a broken sending unit or plug. Or you will loose fuild.

My Sister in law lives in Colorado Springs Sadly she would be of absolutely no help LOL.

In a weird way (maybe I live to close to PORTLAND) I kind of like that weird camo paint job.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 11:47pm
Congrats on your purchase.  I'm anxious to watch your progress.  Listen to the guys on the site cause they have been there and done that.  They won't steer you wrong either. 
1947 CJ2a #155307

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2015 at 3:38am

1946 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2015 at 4:10am
Congratulations on the Willys! I remember seeing that on eWillys. Interesting paint job LOL
Bobatwarsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobatwarsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2015 at 5:03am
very nice
Take Care
Bob

<
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2015 at 6:56pm
Wow.  Nice 2A.  The paint job is even growing on me.  Nice approach to the maintenance manual too.  Looks like you figured out photo posting too!

Overall, it looks pretty complete compared to some other discoveries I’ve seen.  Rear seat, windshield wipers and motor, windshield lolly pops, spare tire carrier, horn, are all items that are often missing.  The air filter is missing, but I love the approach with the extra can of Castrol.  Very cool.

I spotted a starter solenoid on your firewall and a coil on your engine.  This may confirm your ignition switch has been changed to a standard key start.  These are very easy to replace.  In fact, you can probably pick one up at your local auto parts store.

Can you take a photo of your starter?

Tim 

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2015 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

I spotted a starter solenoid on your firewall and a coil on your engine.  This may confirm your ignition switch has been changed to a standard key start.  These are very easy to replace.  In fact, you can probably pick one up at your local auto parts store.

Most parts stores have a universal ignition switch. Here's a link to NAPA's.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2015 at 11:13pm
Tim,

This is the best pic have of the starter.
I picked up a universal ignitio from car quest today
My first official purchased part!! $22.00
The weather is supposed to be nice later this week. I hope to get her started.

- Daniel

1946 CJ2A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 2:51am
It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like an MZ4113 starter.   

I'm guessing no, but do you still have the foot starter switch? It would be on the inside face of the firewall just above the tranny hump. If still there, are there any wires hooked up to it? Because you have a starter solenoid on the firewall, I'm also going to guess...no.

Your new key switch... How many posts does it have on the back?

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 3:58am
I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if it has the foot starter switch and if it's there isn't hooked up.
The ignition I bought has 4 post on the back.

- Daniel
1946 CJ2A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by DansCJ2A46 DansCJ2A46 wrote:

The ignition I bought has 4 post on the back.

- Daniel

Good!  With what I think you have, I believe that's what you'll need.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 2:12am
Should I buy a new solex carb on ebay for $90
Are they good carbs for Colorado?
1946 CJ2A
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 2:48am
I would stay with the Carter WO carb, maybe you can get yours rebuilt? Check member Scout Pilot.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>