Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiator leaking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 8:45pm
Which is good because supposed to almost reach 70 degrees this weekend

Yep, here too, wish my 47 was up & runningCry
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 10:05pm
You're going to be much happier having it repaired, especially when you get it bolted back in and see how the repairs hold up in the future.

I have learned one thing with all my grey hairs, somethings are better off left to a qualified mechanic. Also alot easier to throw cash at it and save money where you can, by reinstalling it yourself. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 12:30am
Your totally right. And I'm just glad that these old jeeps are so easy to work on. I had the radiator drained and out in less than 20 mins
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 1:24am
I know you took it in  but mapp gas was right   I will tell you that what I saw would definately leak.  No useing putty knifes  it would smooth out itself
Ed
cj2a lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 2:09am
I don't yet have a map gas torch but I figured I'd just let the pros tackle this task. but thanks
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Zuma58 Zuma58 wrote:

Which is good because supposed to almost reach 70 degrees this weekend

Yep, here too, wish my 47 was up & runningCry
ZUMA you ain't the only dog dreaming of that bone!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 3:42am

Well unfortunately I got a call today from the radiator repair shop and "not so bad" turned to "wtf" the initial repair quote was $90 and after they began working on it now they call me and tell me that it has more problems we didn't know about something like the upper tank portion of the radiator was leaking in a couple spots and the core had some kind of issue that needed attention so the new quote is $270 which is $180 over the first estimate and even if I didn't have them do the new $270 repair they would still charge me $60 to pick up my radiator without being fixed.

its kinda weird that it has new problems because it was working good and no issues for the last year until this week when it began leaking at the upper hose. and I had them solder on a new drain cock last time they had it and they said everything was good but now why have more problems been added? unless they weren't bad problems and weren't even noticed until It was opened up. unless the new issues were from me attempting to un smash the original filler neck

I had considered buying an aluminum radiator new off ebay for about $170 but then it would still need to buy a fan shroud and attach it and it wouldn't look original and the whole jeep is original and an aluminum would look funny in otherwise a bone stock restoration jeep. had I chose to go aluminum looks like price would be $170 for radiator +$60 pick up old original radiator + buy fan shroud or make one (probably wouldn't look great when done) or go electric which is probably out being its 6v

So new radiator and modifications compared to fixing original would be about the same price about $270 or so. so reluctantly I authorized the repair on the original since it was known working good until the leak and it kept it original.

I had considered finding a used one but I figured if I bought a used one probably seller would want around $80 plus shipping and then it might get damaged in shipping and when it gets here it might still need repair at the shop so that also was factored into me choosing to repair mine for the unfortunate amount of $270 Unhappy
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 3:43am
also the shop is believed to be the only one in my area that repairs and they charge minimum $45 for repairs and $90 hour shop rate
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 7:21am
I am sorry that you got this upsetting news. The first quote was for the expected repair using only the visual clues that they/you could see from the outside of the radiator. Once they got it apart, the view was much better. If you doubt the damage is that bad, ask to see it before they fix it. I would do this anyway as I like to see this kind of thing.

The problem is that the shop did not make it clear they could not see the inside of your radiator until they got it taken apart. While this is obvious when you think about it, most of us want the bill to be on the lower side, & thus, we do not think about this potential problem. I have learned that my luck does not flow the easy way. So I ask for a "worst case scenario" quote as well as a "best case scenario" quote. That gives me the hope that it will cost less then replacement, but lets me know what the damages will likely be for me.

I also would have it repaired. The aluminium ones just do not look right.

Good luck, Cpt Logger.

PS. Those shop rates are about right for a radiator shop that actually repairs the rads. Hard to find these days.

67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 12:12pm
I have a bottom mount aluminum radiator tha looks original when it comes to fitment and shape but not color "aluminum" haha. Ill have to tell you that that radiator even with a 180 degree thermostat doesnt get above 170 without a shroud. It is actually running too cold.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2015 at 4:35am
Well figured id better update my progress on this radiator issue. it had gotten even worse aka more expensive they called again and increased the price quote YET AGAIN. now it was $400 but that included a recore.  probably not a terrible price for a recore to 3 row but it was more than I wanted to spend.

So I went to ebay and I bought a new aluminum reproduction radiator that is also a bottom mount and seems pretty good and much lighter. its about half installed already since I had to stop to buy radiator hoses tomorrow ( I lost the lower hose and the upper is now on the short side, still works kinda but id be more comfortable with a couple more inches Embarrassed) . so far my only problem has been the lower mounting bolts aren't spaced correctly for the frame holes, they were a little too narrow so I took a hand rat tail file and elongated the frame holes just a tiny bit and now it drops in fine and the new longer holes aren't really noticeable even with radiator removed. also the lower mounting bolts that are welded to the radiator aren't the original size bolts, original was 7/16 and the new radiator is only 3/8 not a big issue for me I just have to go buy different nuts.
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2015 at 4:37am
Anyone know how to attach my original steel fan shroud to the new aluminum radiator? looks like the only thing that might work is TIG weld it on but im no welder and don't know if TIG works on steel to aluminum welding.

I will try to get pics of new radiator tomorrow.

also another difference with new radiator is the filler cap is a new Japanese car style like my Yamaha motorcycle has
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2015 at 6:56pm
You probably won't need a fan shroud on the aluminum one.  Is it a champion radiator?  Also make sure to change the radiator cap to 7 lbs or or 4 lbs.  My radiator came with a 16 lbs !!!!  It might not matter but I didn't want to take a chance on a blown head gasket or whatever.

Edited by 67charger - 19 Mar. 2015 at 6:59pm
plowpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2015 at 10:13pm
You can not weld steel to aluminum. You could use your tin as a pattern and either make your own shroud out of aluminum or get a sheet metal shop to do it for you. Get adhesion promoters for aluminum and paint it black so it looks stock.I made the round part of the shroud out of 1 1/4 inch wide x18 gauge tin and it just so happens it almost the same diameter as a 15 in wheel. I then pop riveted angle brackets to the ring and bolted it it the shroud.
when i grow up i wanna be a kid
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 12:51am
You can how ever fuse Aluminum to Steel with explosives.  Most used to join upper and lower sections on ships. You can also use a running dovetail cut with a wire EDM cutter and then hammer fuse the two pieces together. A number of Custom knifemakers use the EDM cutter method to create a Blade with a Steel cutting edge and a Titanium back that can be anodized in all sorts of pretty colors.
And a couple years ago Honda developed a way to do it using some sort of Friction Stir welding. 2013 Accords have sub frame which have Aluminum Welded to Steel sections.

Oh wait you were talking about making a shroud for a radiator ..............................NEVER MIND
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 1:29am
Wow !  Stern Smile
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 1:34am
how would I go about finding the correct radiator cap for my new ebay purchased aluminum radiator? it doesn't look like the original cj2a old style looking cap and new cap is smaller than original one. the new cap is only labeled 1.1 which seems to translate to a 16lb cap
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12