Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 cj2a color scheme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2015 at 9:56pm
DSC -- Why not just match the original paint that you find on your Willys without worrying over what the color is called? 

I found this on the Mahindra website… could this be part opt your answer?

"Mahindra and an independent India began their rise together.  In 1945, two enterprising brothers named J.C. Mahindra and K.C. Mahindra joined forces with Ghulam Mohammed and started Mahindra & Mohammed as a steel company in Mumbai.  Two years later, India won its independence, Ghulam Mohammed left the company to become Pakistan’s first finance minister, and the Mahindra brothers ignited the company's enduring growth with their decision to manufacture Willys jeeps under license in Mumbai. The company’s new name - Mahindra & Mahindra, of course."

Edited by Mike S - 17 Mar. 2015 at 10:02pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2015 at 8:24pm
How certain are you of the year?

I do see an Inverness Green Poly starting in 1952 that is similar.

I can't find records of imports to India before 1962.

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1952-Willys-pg01.jpg
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2015 at 4:03am

Found this on the cj2a color page.Any body who knows of Allen's book or probably has one could help.
Thanks
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2015 at 4:31am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Great information.  I learn something new everyday.  

Thanks Joe Friday.

I think my 49 3A was originally Emerald Green, but my original color samples were in much better condition than DSCs.  After a good cleaning, mine still had the nice deep color and shine.  

Tim

Ill bet when the little misses got home and seen what you did to the kitchen she shat a meat axe?LOL
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2015 at 5:42am
I would like to point out that judging a color based on a 60+ year old paint chip scanned or digitally photographed and posted on a monitor is about as close to accurate as a cow is to a horse. they both eat grass and both have 4 legs.

EVERY Monitor even from the same brand and model will show colors differently UNLESS that monitor has been carefully calibrated with expensive tools and software.

One of my hobbies is photography and in the digital world no two colors are alike. Heck in the film world no two processing machines came out with the exact same colors from the same negative.

THE ONLY WAY you can be sure of what color your looking at is to have some made up and pour it out or spray it and look at it once it dries or to get some high quality touch up paint and do the same thing.

Looking at Jeep Chips the best you can do is judge this color is lighter or darker then that color. On my monitor (a very high end ViewSonic CRT made for Photo editing Normandy Blue from most sources of color chips is almost Black.

On my wifes LCD monitor she keeps ramped way up for her games it looks like super dark blue. SO don't Judge based on some chip card you find on line. You have no idea if the guy who posted it had his camera set for a Positive Film look or the white balance set for Fluorescent lighting or any of two dozen other settings that would change the color of the chip on your screen. Or he ramped up or down the gamma once it was in his computer.

My bang around camera a Canon S5 IS has Color Off, Vivid color, Neutral color, Sepia tone, B&W, Positive film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin tone, Vivid Blue,  Vivid Green,  Vivid Red, And Custom color setting. All that change the way the camera processes the colors hitting the sensor. It also has 8 different White balances from Fluorescent to Flash and even one that the camera decides how to render White.

High end cameras have many many more settings and simple point and shoot cameras may only have a few choices and in many cases the camera decides what it wants not always reality.  

I am currently looking for a Blue to paint my Willys. I am going to narrow it down to 4-5 choices and then I am going to buy those colors as high end touch up paint and spray them across White, LT Gray, DK Gray and Black Primers to see which color and primer end result I like the best. Then I am going to see which White will go best with it.

JUST saying you can't judge a color by its digitally reproduced 67 year old paint chip. 

Edited by Mark W. - 24 Mar. 2015 at 5:53am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2015 at 6:00am
Indeed very informative Mark.
I surely acknowledge your expertise on this and your write up.
The only thing I wanted to know is "did pasture green feature on cj2a in1948?"
If yes,I would paint my jeep pasture green referring to most of them on the forum, else my choice opens up to 1948 color chips.
anyone on the forum could help me with Jim Allen's book as reference on what I posted previously and I am done.
hope this explains.
Thanks for the great input and looking forward to clear my doubt.
regards
dsc
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2015 at 8:10am
Dinesh

I just had a look at the history part of the page and it mentioned the numerous colours that were added as CJ-2A production progressed, it does say some colours were dropped but Pasture Green does not appear to be one of them, ie: It did go right through to the end of the 2a's if I have read it right.

I painted my CJ  Pasture Green and managed to buy a Nason Brand paint (Du Ponts #2 brand) as they did have a listing for it. I did the Autumn Yellow wheels, but everyones view on this is different...I went for a Champion Yellow as I like the darker look and to me it seems to match well.

Now its all painted I think I should have gone for the Harvest Tan, but mine was Pasture Green new(managed to identify  it from the headlight trims that were still PG under many layers of paint) and Pasture Green it will stay.

Adrian 
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2015 at 8:51am
Thanks Adrian for the clarification.must of my paint queries answered,I shall rest for now on the paint part.Adrain, can I see your jeep pics please ?
And also waiting for someone to post details on Jim Allen's book.
Thanks a lot.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2015 at 2:57pm
Yes, I have Jim's book. If I can't find your answer, I can just call Jim.

For that matter you can PM him on WWW.G503.com his username is ArmySailor.
scuba82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scuba82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 7:33am
I ran into the same situation restoring my 46 which after grinding through red, then orange I found the original Pasture Green under serial #plate and various other spots the backyard painters missed. That doesn't look like the pasture green mine was. Did you find out what color your original wheels were? Might help in matching the color combos? Good luck!
scuba82
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:02am
Didn't reach the wheels as yet,but still confused should I go with pasture green ?
If nothing definitive surfaces on the dilemma I'm in ,will go in favor of pasture green.
scuba82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scuba82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:10am
It's a pretty classic color combo for the early 2a's...When I was researching what colors I wanted to do I was set on Picket grey with black wheels. Then I came across my original colors and felt I had to put it back to the way it was when it came out the factory! I'll send you my paint code if you want to. I can did it up tomorrow.
scuba82
scuba82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scuba82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:14am
scuba82
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:22am
That looks great.That would look great on any cj2a ,and I found it on my cj2a.all reasons why I m thinking of it.
Would be helpful if I could get the paint chip.
Thanks a lot.
scuba82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scuba82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:28am
Thanks, It was a fun project, hope yours is coming along nicely. I would suggest getting a gallon. Things like the round edges on the wind shield frame take a ton of paint and clear. plus back side of grill, inside fenders and underside of hood. I bought a half gallon then went back for another!
scuba82
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 4:16am
Its amazing how sometimes you can find a good original sample remaining on these old jeeps when the jeep is almost bare with no remaining paint.

that's how mine was when I bought it no clues as to what the original color was until I disassembled it and underneath the original 6v horn there was a PERFECT section of original and really shiny spot of Normandy Blue  just the size or my horn bracket. hit it with a little polish and I was amazed how shiny it was. possibly better than new.

Needless to say I painted it what color I wanted which happened to be military 33070 green OD and it was a really cheap paint job. $50 including shipping for the green od paint and about $30 for rustoleum red primer from walmart.

paint it how you want it, its your jeep

My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
northamerican View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northamerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 1:31pm
mine shows green as well on back side of front bumper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12