Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

no start after long storeage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no start after long storeage
    Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 6:35am
  hello been away from forum for a while.Well here is my question i been putting my jeep back together after repairing some problems witch included steering rebuild new exhaust gaskets pipe muffler and manifold gaskets studs intake as well today was start up day new fuel lines and tank cleaned added gas no leaks new battery installed now heres problem got fuel to carb fuel getting to front two plugs after priming though carb but not back two plugs i have a solex carb noticed fuel pooling up in intake from priming not leaving to cylinders why is this happening never did this before?

Denny Thanks for any advice

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 10:43am
You may need to do a valve clearance adjustment. When you are done cranking it to start, if you pull the plugs, are they dry or wet with gas? Wet means flooded, or no ignition. Dry means not enough fuel.  Backfiring  out the carb or exhaust means out of time.  If it sat a long time, possible stuck valves? When you do a valve clearance adjustment, and remove the side chest cover, you will be able to see what's going on. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 11:01am
A possibility. With the front tube of the intake manifold passing air/fuel mix and rear tube not, I might suspect a blockage in the passage. A small critter perhaps?
Timber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 5:01pm
thanks guys gave me me some ideas ill look into both frustrating i had plans to go jeeping  today but looks like i will be wrenching instead.

Denny thanks
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 5:07pm
But! You'll be Jeep Wrenching!Wink
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2015 at 7:21pm
Sounds like you may have some valves stuck open in #3&4 cylinders.
Life is only as good as you make it.
Timber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2015 at 5:03am
after a day of wrenching its running perfectly went ahead and took off intake and exhaust manifolds carb  dropped the head pipe pulled the plugs cranked the engine over a little at a time so i could watch the valves working o ya forgot to mention i pulled the valve inspection plate as well all valves working properly now what put all back together and retorque  every thing and as well refill coolant you have to drain that before removing exhaust manifold on to next clean plugs insalled them and checked for spark no spark in any plugs stay  with me now long story!so remove distributor cap check points ok so check coil dead let this be a lesson to u all this coil was installed only two years ago a napa part it has maybe 4 hours on it total . I had a coil that came with the jeep no telling how old it is at least 20 years from when i bought the jeep.I replaced it not trusting it .put it back on jeep fired right up runs perfectly ran it up to temp let it idle for hour . No problems no overheating or hiccups .Ill put seats back in tomorrow after work and test drive. will pick up a new coil as well.

thanks for all your help you got me started on the right track tanks to all

Denny
 Post Reply Post Reply