Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Attempting driveway rear main seal replacement...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Attempting driveway rear main seal replacement...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2015 at 2:11am
I can't see how the rear side of the crank could drop much unless you remove all the bell housing bolts. And getting to the two top bolts is always a tricky affair.

Are you ready to go with the rope seal yet? There is a rope seal puller that is more like a Chinese finger puzzle. This puller also allows you to penetrate the seal with a well positioned paper clip, or similar, to lock the seal to the puller. It works better than the clip style.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2015 at 2:42am
I was able to remove the bellhousing bollts.. then found a way to drop the trans easily and exactly after loosening the crank caps......:

Using a piece of scrap wood, I placed it under the block to hold it in place. I removed the side bolts on the trans cross member mounting points at the frame,  and added long bolts in the vertical bolt positions. I pried the trans about 1/4" away form the block, then just loosened the bolts on the crossmember mounting points slowly until the trans started lowering. It's too dark to continue now, but I think I have 1/4" drop on the rear of the crank, which should be about 1/8 at the middle, and only a millimeter or two at the front cap. Should be enough clearance to get the seal in. I just need to know which direction to insert it then I can raise the crank back up nice and slow. 
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2015 at 3:17am
Looks like "B" to me.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2015 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Looks like "B" to me.
  I'd second that.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2015 at 2:29am
Yes, it's "B".

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2015 at 8:33pm
Kaiserwillys said the small lip goes toward the front... it would have to go into the oil-slinger channel. so... "A" according to them. that's how I will do it and if it fails.... I will see what they say.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2015 at 9:00pm
Garp,
Kaiser Willys is giving you bad advice.  Please don't follow it.

I have met two of the three guys that have answered your question about the seal position.  Very smart Willys guys.  You would do well to follow this advice.

Here is another thread from the G503...with a bunch more really smart Willys guys.  They say "B" also...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 2:58am
Yes Garp, it's "B".  Your crankshaft has a sharp edged oil slinger - it runs in that slot.  

Another way to think of it is that the abrupt edge of a seal "lip" always points toward the fluid.

I just had the rear main bearing cap off my own motor a few days ago.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2015 at 3:04am
Here's another g503 thread on rear main seals.  I installed a wiper-type seal like yours about two years ago and it's been great.  I had my rear main bearing cap off to replace the flywheel bolts - the threads on one were stripped.

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12