Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6volt solenoid wiring please help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:24am
That is where your problem may be  ...a bad switch.
Ed
cj2a lefty
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:40am
Switch it's new! No problem with switch!
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:25pm
Do you have more pictures of the engine and jeep?  Is this an original jeep or is it like mine where it was wired with the diagram in my head haha.  I don't understand what you mean by it will run but it won't?  Are  you jumping the solenoid to get it to start or are you using a remote starter? 
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 2:34pm
This is not an original! The last person to have owned it had a different way to start the motor by making contact directly from the battery! It can take more pictures, which pictures do you need?
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:28pm
engine bay and the starter/solenoid.  A better picture of the switch would be good.  Do you own a volt meter or test light?  These are the basic tools to see where power is and isn't.  Has the jeep run since you have had it?
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:40pm
Ok please see above,
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:42pm
the jeep does turn on, only if i bypass ground to the frame. Im not sure if that makes sense. I ll explain, i connect ground wire from start ignition switch and I connected to the frame! This will make the engine turn on.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:52pm
Something is wrong with the wiring. look at this wiring diagram and see if your wiring is correct.  Don't worry about the alternator or that its twelve volt, focus on the solenoid, key switch and battery.

49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:00pm
I followed this diagram before and still no luck, the guy before me had taken the foot starter off. so i do not longer have a foot starter. I also have a resistor in running in between the coil and the ignition switch! i will update a picture.
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:01pm
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:20pm
Hey Cjoe,

Are you anwhere near Dallas/Ft Worth area? I would be happy to come take a look at the wiring configuration -

I'm in Bedford, TX by the way -

George (Tumbleweed)

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:23pm
You may have the solenoid that is NOT energized by the ignition switch, but needs to be grounded by a switch.
Check the voltage on the small terminal when the large battery cable is attached to the solenoid. IF it is 6V, then grounding that terminal activates the starter. IF it is 0V, the ignition switch activates the solenoid by supplying 6V to it.
IF the voltage is 0, connect a jumper wire from the large Bat terminal to the side terminal (it will spark) and should power the starter. If it does then either your wires are wrong or the switch is bad. Check the switch with your multimeter for continuity to the start and ignition terminals from the bat terminal when you rotate the key.
BOULDER 48 2A
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:33pm
Since the jeep never had a solenoid from the factory and there were umpteen different solenoids made and sold over the years, trying to answer the question without photos of the solenoid is just guessing.

Larry
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:48pm
Rocketeer. I have provide a pic of the selenoid. Im guessing you havent seen it. I will upload it again.

Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:58pm
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:29pm
Like three hours from dallas, Im actually located in College Station.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 5:32pm
I'm sorry but that photo isn't much help, it's too small, too dark, and doesn't give enough detail. If the solenoid is a 3 post type then it would connect as follows: The large post marked BAT connects to the battery, the other large post connects to the starter. The small post connects to the center post on the back of the ignition switch (the one with the red connector on the yellow wire). In order for it to work the solenoid needs to have good ground contact with the body. The other point to be made is if it's a 6 volt system a 6 volt solenoid is required; if a 12 volt system then a 12 volt solenoid is required.

Edited by rocketeer - 26 May 2015 at 5:34pm
Cjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:47pm
Hello! I found that the solenoid has a connection for the ignition only and not the starter ! It is label as I and S. The I has a connection but the S does not have one! I'm not sure if this is the right solenoid it came with the jeep! Does this matter why is not working? I will update picture of solenoid! Thank you for all the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>