Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chains Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chains Update
    Posted: 03 Feb. 2007 at 10:38am
Thought I'd give an update on how the chains are working out. This is the first time I've used chains. Friend of mine gave this set to me. All my experience has been with tractor chains and I do alot of brake steering with the tractors.
Ken, you were exactly right on the steering! There is a definate push and skiing from the front. Especially in deep snow. Your advice on go and direction of go was humorous but very true. For running down in the woods they work ok but I wouldn't recomend it for any road driving. I need them for hauling a trailer full of wood out of the river bottom. I know it would be a slippery  pull without them. In years past once the snow gets real deep I've just quit cutting wood down there.  This way I can still keep cutting. I don't have clearance in the front to put them on there or I would. Again the advice from you guys was accurate. Best site for me.
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2007 at 12:52pm
Okay WFB you got Chains 101 and did the lab, now here's Chains 102. Put 'em on all four and things work great, until the snow or mud gets too deep, then it's winch time.  Use rubber tighteners so they stay put, but don't cinch the chains up super tight or they can wear holes in the sidewalls, BTDT. Use v-bar chains on ice.
There was I time I had to chain up twice a day to get to/from work. Won't say I know all there is to know about tire chains, or even close to it, but I wore a few of them out and learned a little bit in the process.

CJAlaska

PS if you don't have room for chains in front, maybe you need narrower tires? For snow, you want narrow tires anyway.

Edited by CJAlaska - 03 Feb. 2007 at 12:55pm

1951 CJ3A

1948 Willys Pickup

1954 Willys Pickup

1947 Bantam BT3-C Trailer
 Post Reply Post Reply