Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoration for a "customer"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 3:40am
Some people don't have the facility, tools, or mechanical knowledge to take on a restoration. Or a lack of time.

I just sent a detailed email to the gentleman explaining all legal concerns, and options for the Jeep. I wouldn't start til December if I ever did take it own, my Jeep is nearing completion! Big smile
gearwrencher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearwrencher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 9:40pm
I have been to many car shows.  I just have a hard time respecting the guys that buy turn key big buck show cars that  only wax their cars.   Those guys belong on the golf course.   They never felt the pain.
 Sorry I guess for my attitude , to many years laying flat on my back laying on gear oil.

Jerry
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2015 at 12:10pm
Hey Nick; you’ll get Censored, my young friend!

Edited by BENSH - 09 July 2015 at 12:12pm
    1945 CJ2a 11495
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 5:35pm

My suggestion is similar:

Get something in writing, even crude and simple one paragraph, better to have than not.

Furnish only helper labor (get owner involved-actual work) that will releive any
liability, as you are only a helper and so state in the agreement.

Let the owner furnish parts, used or new. 

I have done several this way and we are still friends and the owner learned about the vehicle
plus he got busted knuckles and dirty cleaning parts and holding things.

Get paid every week for your labor.
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 5:35pm
Hey Nick, as your friend I would say some have given good, thoughtful advise urging caution. I think johnnybravo may have suggested a way around several problems. If you work in his space/garage and he compensates you monetarily for your time as a friend wanting to help you with collage expenses then you are not hired as a professional, the mess is on his door and he would be involved and learn while staying up on the expense. Think I would want him to slip me a few bucks at the end of each session so the books are always clear and if he lets the project fall between the cracks its his decision.

I have offen thought I wished I had someone who knew what they are doing to come over and help me with an issue, give them a few bucks, buy lunch, etc.

Are you ready for school, get classes set and find a dorm? Wish you well.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Hans Furrer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Furrer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 8:18pm
that tub looks "Fabulous".  I am in the final stages of my 46 restoration and my tub was no where near that nice.  If you buy Body Parts I would highly recommend Classic Enterprises.  They make many body parts for MB's, GPW and CJ'S.  They are American Made and Licensed by Jeep, Mopar and Chrysler to make these parts.  I used them for several body parts and am extremely happy.  Omix Ada is made overseas and that can be dicey.  If you need gauges for your project you can get U.S. Made gauges for the restoration from Walcks as well.  My 46 needed gauges and I want to stay as American as possible.  I found that the 45 Military gauges will fit my 46 I just have to paint the Benzel.

But like I said up above your jeep looks fabulous and it looks like a relative straight forward restoration.

Good Luck,

Hans
Hans W. Furrer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12