Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Where's the build thread"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 1:03am
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 2:28am
Schweet! U r da man!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 4:24am
Nice build.  The battery in the firewall is a unique idea.
Being 6' 6" I think you could drive any color Jeep you want, with out any problems.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2015 at 9:35pm
I cant take credit for the battery location. I bought 2 bodies from Bruce W and made one that will work. It wont be pretty but neither body could have been saved solo. I just used the box that was already there. thought it was a cool idea.

Dennis

Edited by Dmac - 04 Aug. 2015 at 3:08am
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2015 at 2:50am
  The guy I got those bodies from used to race them. The three white stripes on the side of Dennis's green tub is the number "111". I shudder to think how many bodies he butchered, and I'm glad we were able to save one out of the bunch.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2015 at 1:53pm
Bruce, what do you mean "butchered" ? he took care as he cut and drilled every single panel on the bodies Wink  Anyway I was wondering what the 3 white stripes were, I would have never guessed numbers.
I guess it could be said I`m butchering this as it will be nowhere near original when I`m done but I hope it will be a trail worthy rig that we have some fun with.

Edited by Dmac - 04 Aug. 2015 at 1:57pm
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2015 at 6:24pm
Is that a Ford power steering unit just visible under the grill?  What transmission will be mated to the engine?  More photos and wright up please. 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2015 at 5:12pm
Ok brief run down:
The drivetrain is stock. Now I know folks will be saying that the t90 and axles might be to weak! They might be, but in the 70s I had a 2A with a 327 SBC and stock drivetrain and I never blew anything up. Also remember I`m building this with little to no out of pocket expense using what I have on hand. So for now, until I do break it I`m going to use what I have.
  The steering gear is out of a astro van that was scrapped. It may or may not make the final cut. Its mounting bracket is just tacked into place. I only have about 4 inches of clearance between the pitman arm and the steering link so I may rethink that using a rack and pinion or relocating the gear up and back a bit more.
  I`ll get some more pictures up and posted ASAP.

43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2015 at 2:49am
...... anything new?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2015 at 1:55am
Nothing new on the ole project right now to report! Been busy putting a coat or two of OD on AWOL to spruce the old jeep before fall colors! I`ll be back on to the CJ ASAP, I just didn't think I could have it trail ready and proven before then so I decided to bring AWOL.

Dennis
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2016 at 8:59pm
Dusting off this thread! Holidays done, Grand daughters first birthday done! Now back to work. I`ve decided to move the computer under the dash, just makes sense. Even though that's the location of it on the donor vehicle with the extreme use this could/should get the chances of water intrusion is to great, so it will be moved.
I ordered the Brake shoes/cylinders ect yesterday as well as 25 feet of bulk line. I need one shoe clip retainer and one lower spring for a set of 11 inch brakes if someone has some laying around let me know how much otherwise I`ll get them coming next week.
I`ll be using a custom made radiator for a 67 Mustang, the foot print fits my application without to much problem. That being said I think I need to move my steering box back and up slightly as I only have 5 inches of clearance between it and the diff. But it was only tacked into place thinking I might need to change it later before final assembly.

It will be a driver this summer I`m not sure the body will be sorted out and painted but I have plans to use this exclusively for my trail rig this spring/fall for the tours that's pending, SO what I`m saying is that the purple paint may be delayed...oh darn, primers not so bad
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2016 at 9:12pm
That's what I call "Building your own Jeep from scratch". Is that his name? Scratch? LOL I'm sick like Jeff when it comes to names. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2016 at 11:14pm
...That's not a bad name at all
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2016 at 11:54pm
Better hurry Feb 6 is just around the corner
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2016 at 11:58pm
Notice I said "Spring/Summer" Wink I don't think I could have it done enough by then...no no way
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2016 at 12:07am
...... k then Spring is March 21 . Moab is not that far away either
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2016 at 7:58pm
Moab is on my Radar!
  It looks like I went the wrong direction in the garage, body is off AGAIN, going to pull the engine and fit my hyd. cylinder in the transmission, finish all my frame welding that was just tacked into place and make a few gussets. Adjust my rear pinion angle it a bit sharp and do the brakes. While the engine is out I will replace the head gaskets as the intake and head gaskets are prone to failure. When the body goes on again it will be a driver. I`m shooting for Feb 1st to set the body back on.

I had given some thought to solid engine mounts but I worry about the amount of flex these frames can produce so I likely will mount it with some rubber, opinions?

43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2016 at 12:56am
  When I was racing, some of the guys were running solid engine mounts, some even said they were using the block as a crossmember to stiffen the chassis. An old-timer told me that the chassis is going to flex whether you like it or not, even if it's a small, small, amount. Did I want my engine block to flex, even a small amount, along with it? I always ran factory rubber mounts with a torque chain on the left side. I'd say we are looking at much more chassis flex, here.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>