Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch pedal clearance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch pedal clearance
    Posted: 27 July 2015 at 4:08pm
I'm reassembling my cj2a project and I'm having some clutch pedal clearance issues. I purchased the the pedal spring,rubber pad and metal washer kit some time ago. I think it came from walcks.. anyhow the disks are too big and they rub on the front tub gusset and make contact with the fuel line. I believe the fuel line routing is correct. Anyone have similar issues with these? Also, the clutch pedal arm itself has a very slight bend in toward the frame, which  may account for some of the clearance problems. Is that normal?

Edited by BOWJA01 - 27 July 2015 at 4:11pm
Jim
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 4:26pm
Those pads look really big. My originals are only about 1-1/2 in diameter. The fuel line routing looks correct so the pedal shaft and arm should not reach down that far to make contact with the fuel line.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 4:33pm
Do you think pedal arm is spinning on shaft?
Keyed...
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 7:02pm
Thanks for the replies guys...appreciate it.
Checked the pedal arm and it is not spinning on the shaft...
How far should the pedal be from the the floor when it reaches full downward travel?. Maybe I need to adjust (shorten) the clutch cable? That would address the fuel line contact.

The pads are wide... its a rubber pad with a steel washer behind it. It was a kit from walcks. I'll measure them later after work. You're saying the originals were 1 1/2 inches.. maybe I need to reduce them down a bit.

I apologize for the stupid questions... I'm reassembling and a lot of this stuff was not there when I took it apart.

Edited by BOWJA01 - 27 July 2015 at 7:42pm
Jim
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 5:38am
I cut down my new washers on my pedals and I removed the arms and heated and bent them to where they didn't rub on anything on the way up or down. I really hated that annoying noise and now mine are great with no problems.
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 1:51pm
Thanks for the feedback... I think I'll do the same..... that rubbing was driving me nuts. Guess I wanted to verify that I'm in the ballpark. What I don't understand is... why do I get kits/parts that don't really fit and I need to modify.
Jim
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 4:17pm
Mine fit without any issues, but I can't tell you why I'm not having issues and you are.

I originally had issues with it hitting the wiring for the dimmer switch, but I re-routed it and now it's fine.
Brian Jenkins

1946 CJ2A - SN: 12275
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 11:48pm
Maybe the cushion under the body mount is too thick and pulling the body toward the drivers side?????
The retaining bolt also looks loose.
BOULDER 48 2A
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2015 at 12:39am
Thank for the reply... that's an older picture when I had the tub loosely bolted down. I've got a thin rubber cushion in there and its pulled tight toward the passenger side.. so I have good clearance for the transfer case canes.  there's not a lot of room to play with.
Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply