Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tests for Leaky Cylinders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tests for Leaky Cylinders
    Posted: 04 Sep. 2015 at 9:05am
Has anyone ever used compressed air to test for a leaky cylinder? I was given a "Motors Auto Repair Manual 1956" and it covers Willys Jeeps as well as lots of American cars of that time. But right at the back it has a section for testing leaky cylinders and valves. It goes like this;
Remove the porcelain from an old spark plug and braze a tire valve into the shell.
Bring No.1 piston up to top dead center on the compression stroke.
Screw the modified plug into the spark plug hole
Apply air pressure and then listen for the hiss
At the exhaust for a leaking exhaust valve
At the air cleaner for a leaking inlet valve
At the oil filler for leaking rings
Remove the radiator cap and look for bubbles which will indicate a leaking cylinder head gasket.
And then do each piston the same way.
I thought that it was a handy way of testing
       OLD MANS RULE
The older I get, The better I was
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2015 at 11:57am
I like that!
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2015 at 12:21pm
I've done it, it works. It can be a handy-dandy troubleshooting tool! You just have to be sure that the piston/crankshaft is at dead-nuts TDC or the air pressure will push the piston back down, and be sure that the old junk pile spark plug base you use doesn't have too long of a reach or a bent valve can result when the engine spins from the from not being at exactly TDC..... Don't ask me how I know.....
Gary

51 CJ-3A
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2015 at 12:26pm
You still need to know how much PSI it will actually hold with a compression test. Realize that every engine is probably going to leak some and you might drive yourself crazy chasing a hiss but it may help track down a possible fault quickly.
My thoughts anyway.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2015 at 2:25pm
There is a leak down test tool with a built in gauge designed just for this.  As you mentioned, it's a quick way to determine the health of each cylinder.  Here is the cheapy I picked up at HF...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2015 at 2:56pm
When you have the piston at ( or as near as possible to ) TDC, put the transmission in high gear and set the parking brake. This might keep the piston from moving. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2015 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

When you have the piston at ( or as near as possible to ) TDC, put the transmission in high gear and set the parking brake. This might keep the piston from moving. BW

Why didn't I think of that
Gary

51 CJ-3A
 Post Reply Post Reply