Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

omix t-90 rebuild kit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon 219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: omix t-90 rebuild kit
    Posted: 14 Nov. 2015 at 4:00pm
Has anyone ordered a t-90 rebuild kit sold by omix I've had multiple problems with the kit.  Am I the only one?

Rab

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2015 at 4:31pm
  I've been wondering about this kit. Is this the kit offered by Kaiser-Willys? What kind of problems are you having? We need to know these things. Pictures would be good. Thanks.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Recon 219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon 219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2015 at 4:44pm
Actually I got it through Morris 4x4 but I don't believe it's there fault.  I want to check out few things first as not to make a incorrect statement but will follow up soon!
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2015 at 10:08pm
There are some parts that need to be good quality then there are parts that can be made to look good with paint, if you know what I'm sayin.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2015 at 11:45pm
I would go to Novak's again if I had to do another transfer case or gearbox, top quality parts.....

I did get some suspect syncro cones from QTM, using them as a guide I decided the originals were like new and reused them...

Adrian 
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2015 at 4:48am
yep I am definitely keeping an eye on this thread. I will be doing my t90 shortly and need to know these things. I have heard novak has a good kit and that Debella has a good kit

My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2015 at 5:51am
I bought Novaks t90 and d18 kits and was happy with both. Brgs were koyo's  I believe (good quality), seals were great and the gaskets fit nicely. The caged needle brgs in the transfer case kit had twice the rollers than what came out the case.I tossed the brgs ( should have taken a pic ), but the difference was the cage on the new brgs allowed for less clearance between rollers which allowed for more rollers to fit in as compared to the old brgs cage.I hope that makes sense. Bottom line is more rollers = more brg surface area for gears to ride on. Also tried to punch mark the end of both shafts in the master kits. Proved that the shafts are hardened, flatten my punch and left no marks on the shafts. Support and shipping was also great.
Phil
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2015 at 9:14pm
Some of the Crown parts are USA made.  I try and stay away from Omix.

Novak has top quality stuff, but it's not cheap.  I sourced NOS Timken and SKF bearings and used USA made components.  Re-used all of my gears after filing them down, including 2nd.  

QTM's rebuild parts - the C - springs weren't right, or weren't good.  Too stiff, I couldn't work it.  Reused the old C - springs with new dogs.  Doesn't pop out of second.

Also, rebuilt the shift tower - springs/poppet balls.
Brian Jenkins

1946 CJ2A - SN: 12275
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2015 at 9:23pm
I have a Kaiser Willys tranny kit, actually had two (the first one got toasted in the mud/water). Kit works great, I don't see why everyone is afraid of Omix-ADA. Every part I've ever had from them has been spot on. I don't know what I'd do without them.
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2015 at 5:24am
Novaks has the ONLY cluster shaft that I can verify is hardened to correct bearing specs (I tested it in our materials engineering lab, it is case carburized with surface hardness in the 60's).  The one I got from Walcks, which I suspect was an Omix was dead soft and while it looked and fit well...It would have worn out in short order.

These type of parts are best sourced from quality manufacturers.  Chinese bearings are a complete joke.  They are essentially counterfeit, they LOOK and fit OK, but the materials and heat treat are often way wrong.  If the Novak kit indeed has Koyo bearings (Japan), then it it hands down my suggestion.
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 2:13am

These are the old brgs that I talked about in the above post on  trans/transfer case brgs. You can see how much room there is between rollers. Novak supplied bearings had close to double the rollers. I know this post is on the t-90, but I thought it is worth mentioning. Both of my new master kits were bought through Novak. Found the old brgs pictured above while sorting through my jeep stash.
Phil
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 10:56am
I rebuilt my transfercase and transmission in 2003 with Novak parts and they are still going strong.  I rebuilt my T90 because it was popping out of 2nd.  After rebuilding it the 2nd gear issue went away but eventually it came back, but not as bad as before.  I can't say it's Novak's fault, it could be something else.
"90% of all carburetor problems are electrical"
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2015 at 12:20pm
I've just done a T90 rebuild, and about to get start on the D18. Both kits from Novak.
It took them 5 weeks to ship - apparently they were out of stock but apparently they don't think it necessary to inform you of this either.

The T90 kit was missing some parts - poppet balls, tower bolts, a snap ring, shift fork pins. I had to contact them to resend the items which they did. The new second gear comes in a Crown box, the gasket set is labelled Crown too. Just opened the gasket set yesterday and the rear gasket is torn.
The needle bearing spacer tube was too short, I had to re-use my old one.
I also couldn't get the countershaft to fit my case without modifications. Read about it here:

I've contacted them about it, and haven't received any reply. Perhaps Thanksgiving???

I hope the D18 kit is more spot on.

At the end of the day, I think their parts will work OK. It's just been a lot of effort to get them and there is no guarantee everything will work - be prepared to re-use some of your old stuff.

My 2c worth. Wink
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
 Post Reply Post Reply